Long runtime AAA?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gaming the system is in the same category as lying, IMO.

If you bought an electric car that advertized it could go 100 km/h, but then when you drove it off the lot onto the highway it dropped down to a max speed of 10 km/h after 3 minutes, wouldn't you feel you were lied to? You thought you were buying a Tesla, but ended up with a golf cart!

Actually, I'd feel rather stupid for buying a car without doing research first, but I digress.

The ANSI standard is to blame IMO, it's extremely flawed and there are plenty of reputable companies who like to take advantage of this with 3 minute turbo boosts so they can claim up to twice the normal output, but I don't quite see that mentioned too much.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I'd feel rather stupid for buying a car without doing research first, but I digress.

The ANSI standard is to blame IMO, it's extremely flawed and there are plenty of reputable companies who like to take advantage of this with 3 minute turbo boosts so they can claim up to twice the normal output, but I don't quite see that mentioned too much.

Yeah, the ANSI rules are wide enough to drive a truck through. There're conservative/honest companies trying to do the right thing, and then there's others that use every mm of ANSI slack. Here's my favorite ANSI graph :D

12117917026_7ca591a119.jpg

Then there's the lumen scale differences where there really should be no slack at all, but even our own CPF reviewers are all over the map on this. ti-force seems to be the only reviewer here that claims ANSI laboratory accuracy and his reading are ~20-30% different (eg, 240 vs 320 lumens) than SB's for the same light!

A step-down function (or turbo boost) is perfectly fine if the manufacturer discloses it, or chooses to spec the light well below its boost output (eg, 47s and ET).

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I have an L3 illumination L08; I got the version with firefly mode

...it does 3 lumens for 30 hours. which is normal I think, but the firefly has really increased the real world use I get, before needing to change the battery.

...and something about lights that start at the lowest light level, makes me use the lowest level more, and that increases real world run time

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L3 illumination L08; I got the version with firefly mode

...it does 3 lumens for 30 hours....

Hehe... that spec, and the firefly, are the same specs SBFlashlights happens to quote for the larger AA L10 ;). That said, I believe it to more accurate for the AAA :).

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Klarus reported run-time is indeed incorrect but it should still be one of the longest running AAA lights. It shares the same circuit as the Revo which boasted the following from the 4Sevens Flashlight Run Time Testimonials - real world testing! thread:
Preon Revo
XP-E : 82 hours : Energizer Lithium L91 Ultimate AAA : Low : Darvis
XP-E : 43.5 hours : Duraloop AAA : Low :Beacon of Light : 0.89v
XP-E : 55 hours : Duracell AAA : Low :Scout24 : 0.894v March 2017 exp.

As to the theft possibility, David Chow of Foursevens has suggested this but only have his word so I can't say.
All I know for certain is that he dropped an excellent light from his line-up and the Klarus is the only version currently available.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
As to the theft possibility, David Chow of Foursevens has suggested this but only have his word so I can't say.
All I know for certain is that he dropped an excellent light from his line-up and the Klarus is the only version currently available.

Klarus has responded - 2 yrs later, and through a messenger. No proof on who's right/wrong, of course, but I know where I'd put my money.

Klarus has asked me to respond on their behalf regarding the Mi10. According to them, it was an OEM design that they shared with FOURSEVENS on a non-exclusive basis. I don't know which story is correct, but I do know that I have had many good experiences with both companies and they both have contributed quite a bit to the flashlight community in terms of new and unique designs and technology.

link

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus has responded - 2 yrs later, and through a messenger. No proof on who's right/wrong, of course, but I know where I'd put my money.

If i had to deside to cide with whom, i'd tend to avoid all 3 parties involved in the secretiveness including the messenger who also happens to be a big time seller of both brands and couldn't care less.

Anyway, Klarus specs often seem just wrong. Lumen specs are too high, compared to Fenix lights for example or Foursevens, and runtime specs are too high too.

Sellers support such brands. I cannot.

ozzywalker

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i have the olight i3s eos and running it with varta high energy alkaline battery and has 8:30 hours run-time. i don't have a dimmer on my room so i close the light and opening my olight i3s eos at low mode which is 20 lumen. The perfect low lighting condition for my room. very good flashlight.. very impressed! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/17156 look at this forum it has the run-times..

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have the olight i3s and like it. I run mine on a 10440 li-ion for more output. I've even come to accept the M>H>L ui. M, with a 10440 li-ion, is very useful and the runtime is very good (considering it is a 10440 and not an 18650). (And i have other lights if I need firefly or moonlight output.) The tint is cool white, but not angry blue or purple. And the beam is fine (again considering we are talking about an AAA sized light). The keychain attachment is weak and easily replaced or strengthened. A nice light for the money.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

All I can say is, after buying a couple of Revo's which I love, when I later wanted to get another, I had to buy the Klarus. I guess he showed them.

For the suggested purpose, I +1 the AA lights, like L10, Zebralight and Foursevens QPA. If declining output on alkaline is OK, the Gerber Infinity Ultra is a classic, it goes about 5 days to extinction.

In AAA, if you can find a used one, the Lightflux L2XT was always a top performer for runtime on low.

N1XIO

Newly Enlightened
Maratec AAA, from their web site...

Medium mode, 40 lumens output for upto 7 hours
Low mode, 1.5 lumens output for upto 55 hours
High mode, 138 lumens output for upto 70 minutes
( Rev 1 model was 80 Lumens and 48 minutes) ( Rev 2 model was 115 Lumens and 60 minutes)

Pila

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the ANSI rules are wide enough to drive a truck through. There're conservative/honest companies trying to do the right thing, and then there's others that use every mm of ANSI slack. Here's my favorite ANSI graph :D

12117917026_7ca591a119.jpg

I think we could guess who was pushing with all their forces when FL-1 standard was beeing formualted for the runtime to be measured until 10%. As a reference, I am including a runtime graph from the original documentation of my 2009. Fenix LD-10:
32207778504195635069.jpg

I repeat: this Fenix graph is made pre ANSI FL-1 stanard was defined. So, who did muscle this "measure until 10%" rule? Obviously Maglite who was then virtually the only game in town. I have used them for probably 15 years and was always pissed by Maglite incan performance.

Pila

Newly Enlightened
II'm looking for a long runtime flashlight for a survival kit.

My experience with battery power equipment on which I professionaly depend and often my life might depend is: I do not care about declared runtimes (as long as they are reasonable industry standard values). What I do care for is taking spare batteries with me! Preferably, several sets.

My devices have stopped working many times when it was VERY inconvinient. But, I have always resumed in just a few seconds.

Any battery will be drained. Battery might fail and stop working far before it should. What good is a battery declared as running 100 hours unless you put every time before you use it a new battery and you have verified every time this new battery is 100% as expected.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any battery will be drained. Battery might fail and stop working far before it should. What good is a battery declared as running 100 hours unless you put every time before you use it a new battery and you have verified every time this new battery is 100% as expected.

That's why I use rechargeable Eneloops in all my devices. They're very reliable, and I can always make sure they are 100% charged before I head out with a light.

You're right that if I used primaries, I wouldn't put in a new battery every time I went out with my light. That would be wasteful and expensive. So while run times with CR123A and lithium primaries sounds great, you half to cut the value in half if you want to get an average run time.

hanzo

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a long runtime flashlight for a survival kit.

I usually pack a solar charger in my kit. My favorite is the Solar Joos. But is is mainly for car camping or if I plan to be out for any extended period. Literally bulletproof. For shorter outings or when lighter weight is called for, the much smaller and cheaper Levin charger is what I pack. And when I take AA/AAA lights and/or devices, I pack a USB battery charger that I can plug in to the solar charger and top off or recharge my batteries. The Fenix AAA's are pretty good lights and I have been carrying mine for a long time.

Now, I am EDCing a D25Cvn. Something like 150 hours at 3 lumens on low. And blazingly bright on high or turbo. I need to get a USB charger for 16340's. Anyone can suggest one?