Looking for a durable no-frills keychain light

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your third point is the kicker, that's why you're getting Peak Eiger as the answer. Ten years is a long time for something to survive on your keychain.

I swear by the Peaks for durability and functionality. Get an Eiger in SS and you'll be set.

They can be had in single mode, the electronics are fully potted in epoxy, simple twist for on/off, and they're built like tanks.

How often do you lose a light (your keys)?

You can get a Fenix E01, but you will be dissatisfied with the brightness, and blueish beam color.

Besides these, I wouldn't figure on one to last for more than a few years banging around with my keys.

archimedes

Flashaholic
....the thing about these and some of the other suggestions is that I can't find any reviews or ratings on them. I'd be fine taking a gamble with something like a Fenix E05 (5.5 stars with over 200 reviews on Amazon), but I'm leery of a specialty brand where I really have no idea what their reputation is like. I want to play it safe and conservative here.

There are lots of reviews of the Eiger on CPF .... Actually, Peak even have their own (sub-)forum here.

Also, IMHO, the average expertise of reviewers here for flashlights may differ from the average expertise of reviewers on Amazon ... :devil:

Maybe I can get better suggestions by rewording the question.
If I want a light that is:
  • no bigger than a SAK (1xAAA, ultra compact 1xAA, etc)
  • bright enough to overpower dim lighting (maybe 25+ lumens?)
  • EXTREMELY reliable and durable, with a good reputation, a robust non-fiddly switch mechanism that won't die in 10 years, and circuitry that won't burn out
... what are my choices?

Most of my suggestions that would specifically best fit your criteria will simply not be available on Amazon, not now or likely ever.

If you don't like the Peak Eiger, you probably won't want the Muyshondt Mako, or the McGizmo Sapphire either :shrug:

Last edited:

SiO2

Newly Enlightened
Your third point is the kicker
Yeah I know :)
How often do you lose a light (your keys)?
I'm not actually going to keep this on a keychain, I just said that because that's the size I want. I'll be in my shirt pocket and tossed around a lot as I'm crawling behind machines and such. I have, on more than one occasion, accidentally had a light kicked into a storm drain or dropped inside a wall, never to be touched by human hands again.
You can get a Fenix E01, but you will be dissatisfied with the brightness, and blueish beam color.
You're probably right about the E01, but the E05 looks like a good contender. It's at the top of my list with the Solitaire LED.

SiO2

Newly Enlightened
Also, IMHO, the average expertise of reviewers here for flashlights may differ from the average expertise of reviewers on Amazon
Oh I absolutely 100% agree, but that's exactly the issue. People here will know how to handle something properly and what not to do. Conversely your average Amazon reviewer Joe Sixpack probably won't take care of it, and so I put more weight into those sorts of reviews when considering durability. (I don't just go by the star rating, I read all the reviews and ignore the ones where the person is obviously retarded).

archimedes

Flashaholic
Oh I absolutely 100% agree, but that's exactly the issue. People here will know how to handle something properly and what not to do. Conversely your average Amazon reviewer Joe Sixpack probably won't take care of it, and so I put more weight into those sorts of reviews when considering durability....

Curious, but clever, reasoning ... point well-taken :crackup:

SiO2

Newly Enlightened
Oh I absolutely 100% agree, but that's exactly the issue. People here will know how to handle something properly and what not to do. Conversely your average Amazon reviewer Joe Sixpack probably won't take care of it, and so I put more weight into those sorts of reviews when considering durability. (I don't just go by the star rating, I read all the reviews and ignore the ones where the person is obviously retarded).
To put it another way, I don't expect the types of people who frequent a site like CPF to drop $50+ on a light and then promptly beat it to poop. I want to read about people who beat them to poop, I want to know how many survive.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is going to be hard to find something fitting your criteria that is somewhat "disposable", Ie: down a drain or in a wall.

I always have a lanyard with me (not always attached, that drives me nuts) to secure my light when it could be dropped and gone forever.

You may find that a Streamlight Microstream will fit the bill, but I've seen more than one crap-out early. They have a good warranty, but that does nothing when you're left in the dark.

For durability, you really need a light that is fully potted, and they are few and far between.

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
Illumination Supply has the BlackShadow Eva for $14 plus shipping

My father is tough on his keychain light, the Eva has outlasted a 4sevens Preon 0, Spark SK7, ITP A3, Olight I3, Thrunite Ti

SiO2

Newly Enlightened
It is going to be hard to find something fitting your criteria that is somewhat "disposable"
It doesn't need to be disposable (if I needed that I'd have a cap of like $5). I don't want the thing to be so expensive or hard to find that I'm terrified of losing it though.
For durability, you really need a light that is fully potted, and they are few and far between.
Hm. So I take it Peak Eiger is potted, any other brands?

AaronG

Enlightened
+1 for the E05. It's a durable, simple little light with about 2.5 hours of run time. The E11 would be another good option as it has a clicky switch and higher output if needed. I carry a E05 on my keys and an E15 in my work jacket. The E15 is a great light as well but takes CR123 batteries. (Although if you order it from battery junction CR123 cells are about $1 each and are WAY better than AA) All these lights are very small and reasonably bright.

SiO2

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the E05. It's a durable, simple little light with about 2.5 hours of run time. The E11 would be another good option
The e05 is high on my list, but I'm worried about the 'flood' style beam with the comparatively low lumens. I do need to see things further away from time to time. The e11 is definitely larger than I'd like, but it's on my list.

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
Professional flashlights can be great fun, but are no toys. Different modes are not wacky, but can be a life saver or money saver in many types of emergencies, like a car crash, tornado, house fire, heart attack, broken leg, bleeding, getting wounded in the mountains, lost child, etc.

These useful modes include SOS, fast beacon, high power, medium power and very low power (to increase battery runtime). So five different modes are definitely worth the money IMO.

If you attach your flashlight with a thin cord and snaphook to your clothing, you won't loose it.

Your wishes seem IMO to be somewhat incompatible. You don't like repeated switching, but I still recommend to you the Olight I3S Eos for various reasons.

Other interesting lights (although not fully within your specs) are Fenix E11, Streamlight Microstream and Streamlight Stylus Pro.

One AA-battery lasts three times longer than one AAA battery, at the same lumens output.

Last edited:

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
If this is too much twisting for you or not enough light or runtime they also make the larger but simpler 2 level light the E11 that is an AA light that is almost universally loved by users. It will not attach to a keychain though as it has a button on the back,the head twists tight or loose to select high or low level pretty straightforward.
Fenix E11 has a lanyard eye on the side of its tail.

I also don't think the Maglite are terrible like many do and the new LED solitare might be a good pick for you?
Maglite Solitaire LED has 37 lumens, turn switch, adjustable beam width, proven quality and a low price. This seems not a bad choice for Si02.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't have the time or money for that, honestly.

That is exactly my point. Save time and money and get a Peak Eiger. It fits your requirements. The clip from the Streamlight Stylus Pro fits perfectly - you can buy this as a spare part (BrightGuy).

I'm not saying it is THE best light. But it meets your stated requirements. Take a look at the Peak threads. If you have specific questions, post them.

Buy it, use it, and love it.

SiO2

Newly Enlightened
Your wishes seem IMO to be somewhat incompatible.
Erm, how? I'm looking for a light that's extremely reliable, and I'm perfectly willing to give up extra features and modes to get it.
Fenix E11, Streamlight Microstream and Streamlight Stylus Pro.
The e11's already on my list as is the microstream. The stylus pro is I think a little to long.

SiO2

Newly Enlightened
Maglite Solitaire LED has 37 lumens, turn switch, adjustable beam width, proven quality and a low price. This seems not a bad choice for Si02.
I did mention the Solitaire LED in my opening post (I can't tell if you're confirming that choice or suggesting it fresh, I get the feeling a lot of people aren't reading half of what I'm typing). I don't want to 'take the first fish that bit' so to speak, so I'm trying to figure out if there are any other/better lights that fit my criteria before I plunk down the bills.

SiO2

Newly Enlightened
That is exactly my point. Save time and money and get a Peak Eiger. It fits your requirements. The clip from the Streamlight Stylus Pro fits perfectly - you can buy this as a spare part (BrightGuy).I'm not saying it is THE best light. But it meets your stated requirements. Take a look at the Peak threads. If you have specific questions, post them.Buy it, use it, and love it.
My specific questions are "How many people bought one of these, what percentage of them died, and what's the age and type distribution of the failures?" but that sort of statistical data isn't something you can get from an aficionado forum. I haven't discounted the Peak Eigers, but it's real tough to compare them when I really have no idea what their real-world reliability is like.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When lights fail, flame threads get started. Some people are having issues with the Olight i3S and a thread was started. There are flame threads about the Peak guy, there are polls about QTC, which is an option rather than a requirement. But there are no flame threads about Peak Eigers.

You can ask your specific questions to the Peak guy - he's got his own section. Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.