Lumens Factory E-series bodies

Mark@LF

Enlightened
I know that this might be a long shot, but what are the chances of making some of these bodies available in a 1 x 16500/17500 format? I think that would be a great form factor for a lot of folks, just a bit easier to grasp than an E1e but not too long. Just throwing it out there, I would love to hear others thoughts on this.

BTW, major Kudos to LumensFactory for undertaking this project, the E series is a timeless design which should never go out of production. (IMHO)

Thank you for your support.

I have made plans to make a 14500 body, so a 16500 or 17500 version is of course possible.
Maybe make them all 17500 or 18500 capable and make some battery tubes for 16500 or 14500.
But then again I understand some users don't like to use battery tubes.
So it is something I need to consider.
Making 14500, 16500, 17500 and 18500 is 4 versions which I will definitely NOT do because it is too many variations to stock.
Most likely a 14500 and 18500 maybe. (If I don't kill the threads with a 18.6 tube, if I kill the threads it will most likely be 17500)

I am not sure for now, but I am 100% going to do the 14500 body.

Cheers.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
18500 maybe. (If I don't kill the threads with a 18.6 tube

I am no machinist but ive alwaysed wondered about the 18mm bored e bodies. Ive always heard that the aluminum bodies are hit or miss and when they are successful they are delicate. Ive seen the variants from 5mega and malkoff that use adapeters in between the head and body but the compact e style is lost. Would using a material like stainless steel be better off for keeping the e series body size but having the stronger threads when shaved down so thin compared to aluminum? Thanks Mark

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure I understand the need for a 14500 body. To me, this is strictly for a 1.5V AA battery, the 3.7V option being an exotic thing for showing off an otherwise 1.5v light, in turbo mode.

How many 1.5V light engines do we have that fit an e-series compatible head?

I would love to see a 3x 16350 or 3x 18350 body (if it possible at all) which would also take 2x AA cells with a tube.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Would using a material like stainless steel be better off for keeping the e series body size but having the stronger threads when shaved down so thin compared to aluminum? ....

Yes, this has been done already in steel, I believe.

.... How many 1.5V light engines do we have that fit an e-series compatible head?

Converters by McGizmo and Tana immediately come to mind, there may be others.

.... I would love to see a 3x 16350 or 3x 18350 body (if it possible at all) which would also take 2x AA cells with a tube.

I think there was a "balrog E3" (E-series compatible, 3x16340) host tube done years ago.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this has been done already in steel, I believe.

Converters by McGizmo and Tana immediately come to mind, there may be others.

I think there was a "balrog E3" (E-series compatible, 3x16340) host tube done years ago.

Thanks archimedes, I did not know about the balrog, it had happened before I joined the forum, but this seems to be it. And I have never seen one for sale, so the modern version would be nice to have

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks archimedes, I did not know about the balrog, it had happened before I joined the forum, but this seems to be it. And I have never seen one for sale, so the modern version would be nice to have

Yes, they were very nice indeed.

I think "cubebike" also did some similar, much later, but I don't specifically recall any as long as the balrog E3 (but I could be mistaken on that)

You may also want to check out the "dspeck UBH" too ....

cubebike

Enlightened
O. Since my name popped up here, so let me explain a bit. Yes I did manage to have few E3 host few years ago, and it was also compatible with 2 AA cell for E head and tail setup. Unfortunately, the machinist did not make any of the host afterward and I didn't have anything left either. I remembered I used it mainly on 2AA (enelop) with KL1 head.

Yes, they were very nice indeed.

I think "cubebike" also did some similar, much later, but I don't specifically recall any as long as the balrog E3 (but I could be mistaken on that)

You may also want to check out the "dspeck UBH" too ....

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Yes, it is and of course it will have removable bezels.
We will be offering bezels in the following options for now:...

I had thought replacement Al bezels in natural and black would be an ideal seller, since some like the purity of all one metal for concerns of galling... but just occurred to me, I believe the Surefire way, their original intent, was for consumers to toss the entire head and replace. Regardless of Al bezels, can not hardly wait for new replacement Elite heads... smooth ones, please. You all know my beliefs that crenellations are vanity, and are never used for their intended purpose (and we should be thankful for that! how horrible!). Smooth are old-school, and many old flat-sides got dropped with dings and bites out of them. They are not all that easy to find with the smooth bezel, but the crenellated variety are as close to common as E-Series gets. Option for smooth Al natural/black bezels please.

I am not sure I understand the need for a 14500 body. To me, this is strictly for a 1.5V AA battery, the 3.7V option being an exotic thing for showing off an otherwise 1.5v light, in turbo mode.

Agreed, but if a custom body with built-in mcclicky, ala AA Malkoff, and the fit was a lil' wider, 15500, the result would be a light considerably more compact than E2e, and just as bright on 2xCR2 cells (reduced runtime), yet would still accept AA/14500. Now I have written that out... back to entirely agreeing with you. An E body for AA fills such a limited-ideal-use-case gap, it becomes a boutique item. Perhaps that's why SF developed them, and there's prototypes out there, but they never released and sold them. Also, now 18350's have 1100mAh, they blow away 14500's 650mAh capacity in a shorter form factor, if your light use is not so rough that thinner threads in 18350 body would not often break. I must confess, I broke the threads in an 18mm E tube by dropping the light accidentally on concrete a few times in a row in rapid succession. No story, just clumsy.

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Yes, AL natural/black in crenellated or flat comes standard on the heads.
The project is 90% complete, should be wrapping it up in a week or two and production can begin.

Hmm, good point on the 14500 body.
I have been thinking about the 1 x AA and 2 x AA bodies lately.

The 2 x AA is basically the same length as a 3 cell, so if I make it a 18xxx capable light then it could use a lot of battery setups.
Problem lies with battery rattles when using CR123 or 2 x AA or 2 x 14500 on a 18xxx light.

Same with the 1 x AA, making it 18500 capable would open up possibilities for many battery setups.
Definitely something I need to consider.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Dave :)
Have bookmarked the link but not your original post

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk