• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

M43vn VS MK34vn

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
Hey jim, or new people. If you are buying vn lights, please get unprotected and button top.. you cant go wrong with button top. Button top = peace of mind.

I thank you

It seems to me that if the battery is a button top, 3500mAh, unprotected 18650 then I am good to go.

Seems like the MK34 takes a little different battery than the norm or it seems from what I read.

Thanks a lot

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
Would have thought 20a total, the 10a cells should be fine in this light. Other options, Samsung 30Q offer good value/performance(button tops). Sony vtc6 another option .....................

:welcome:

Yes, 20A total. So at roughly 7A per cell, you're good to go.

Just a warning about 30Q: at least the button top 30Q:s I have (from BangGood) are too long to fit in my MK34. I've seen remarks that others have been able to use button top 30Q:s, but it's a gamble (and apparently a pretty tight fit) since all button tops are after market and have different lengths.

Last edited:

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
Yes, 20A total. So at roughly 7A per cell, you're good to go.

Just a warning about 30Q: at least the button top 30Q:s I have (from BangGood) are too long to fit in my MK34. I've seen remarks that others have been able to use button top 30Q:s, but it's a gamble (and apparently a pretty tight fit) since all button tops are after market and have different lengths.

I've located Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A Flat Top Battery for $6.50 each. That seems to be the battery Manker recommends on their website.

https://www.imrbatteries.com/sanyo-ncr18650ga-3500mah-10a-button-top-battery/

Last edited:

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
I was told by GoingGear.com that the Sanyo 18650GA batteries are no longer being made. If that is so and I am going to order the MK43, I might as well order a few before they are no more (if the battery is no longer being made??)

MC408

Enlightened
I was told by GoingGear.com that the Sanyo 18650GA batteries are no longer being made. If that is so and I am going to order the MK43, I might as well order a few before they are no more (if the battery is no longer being made??)

Hey Jim, just keep in mind that Vinh recommends high drain unprotected batteries in most of his lights, so the MFG recommendations don't matter as much once modified. As noted earlier. This light in particular is a little different because the height of the batteries is important regarding fit and contact.

If your going to order the mk34vn from Vinh, might as well just order these. They are the batteries Vinh (and OG) recommended to me.

http://skylumen.com/collections/others/products/18650-3-7v-3500mah

Last edited:

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
Hey Jim, just keep in mind that Vinh recommends high drain unprotected batteries in most of his lights, so the MFG recommendations don't matter as much once modified. As noted earlier. This light in particular is a little different because the height of the batteries is important regarding fit and contact.

If your going to order the mk34vn from Vinh, might as well just order these. They are the batteries Vinh (and OG) recommended to me.

http://skylumen.com/collections/others/products/18650-3-7v-3500mah

Boy oh boy. Flashlight and batteries, I am find is a little more complicated than heading down to Target and picking up a $3.00 light (If one wants an extremely good quality light)

MC408

Enlightened
Boy oh boy. Flashlight and batteries, I am find is a little more complicated than heading down to Target and picking up a $3.00 light (If one wants an extremely good quality light)

Lol. I thought the same thing about a month ago when I first jumped in.

Read tons on batteries and and safety and ultimately relied on the experts in this forum for recommendations. They will even tell you stories on what NOT to do! (Refrain from overused and recycled SW joke). Lol

but to be honest. The research and discussion on the forum is what makes it fun, so enjoy the dive and ask questions!

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
Lol. I thought the same thing about a month ago when I first jumped in.

Read tons on batteries and and safety and ultimately relied on the experts in this forum for recommendations. They will even tell you stories on what NOT to do! (Refrain from overused and recycled SW joke). Lol

but to be honest. The research and discussion on the forum is what makes it fun, so enjoy the dive and ask questions!

I really find reading, research, asking questions is a ton of fun.

Can't wait to get back from anywhere just to open up CPF to get searching once again.

I keep changing my mind on what my first flashlight will be so I can do some more reading and thinking.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey jim. U r not alone. I know nothing in the beginning of 2016 year... i know nothing about 18650 such as normal voltage. Just keep reading and researching about the subjects, and you will gain.

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
Hey jim. U r not alone. I know nothing in the beginning of 2016 year... i know nothing about 18650 such as normal voltage. Just keep reading and researching about the subjects, and you will gain.

What seems to even stranger regarding the battery needed for the MK34 is the fact that if the MK34 is ordered from the factory with batteries, what is sent: A 18650, 3.6V, 2600mAh with Max: 20A Pulse 30A Discharge, High-Drain, rechargeable battery.

Yet their web site recommends the Sanyo 1860GA, a 10A battery and then a couple lines below that states: "The battery should supply at least 20amps current".

A few forum members think the battery supply of 20amps needed is a total of all three batteries combined. If that is so, then why does Manker send batteries that have a " Max: 20A Pulse 30A Discharge", High-Drain, rechargeable battery.

Because of my fear in ordering the wrong battery for the MK34 plus it seems no one really knows for sure, I am now considering getting the Olight X7 with possibly Vinh's XHP70 6500K SD, 5000K Neutral for my very first high-end flashlight. That might scare the cats away as I'm walking through the neighborhood in the evening.

Last edited:

lstmichel

Enlightened
Being an EE from way back - Watts = Volts x Amps

From the data sheet the XP-G3 produces 777 lumens at 6 Watts so - 12 x 777 = 9324 lumens and 72 Watts (at the LED not OTF)
So the MK34 requirement of 20 Amps (times say 3.7v) = 74 Watts - this light is running the LEDs at or near 100% output in it's stock form
(LED's can be pushed well beyond 100% but you lose efficiency in the form of extra heat)

I don't know how much vn boost adds to the above - but his ANSI/OTF number is 7200 lumens
Assuming 20% LOSS through the glass and 10% LOSS through the driver (rough SWAGs) you are AT about 10000 LU at the LED
Thus we are in the ball park from two directions so lets call it 80 Watts approx. worst case

At 3V (which is as low as you really want to drive a 18650) 80W/3V = 26.6 Amps - call it 27
Worst case each battery (running at 3V) need at provide 27/3 or 9 Amps per battery
at higher charge/voltage levels (say the nominal 3.7V) about 7 Amps per battery

High drain batteries typically have lower internal resistance to be able to get to higher continuous Amperage levels
I would get three batteries rated at (at least) 10Amps continuous each.

Last edited:

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
Being an EE from way back - Watts = Volts x Amps

From the data sheet the XP-G3 produces 777 lumens at 6 Watts so - 12 x 777 = 9324 lumens and 72 Watts (at the LED not OTF)
So the MK34 requirement of 20 Amps (times say 3.7v) = 74 Watts - this light is running the LEDs at or near 100% output in it's stock form
(LED's can be pushed well beyond 100% but you lose efficiency in the form of extra heat)

I don't know how much vn boost adds to the above - but his ANSI/OTF number is 7200 lumens
Assuming 20% LOSS through the glass and 10% LOSS through the driver (rough SWAGs) you are AT about 10000 LU at the LED
Thus we are in the ball park from two directions so lets call it 80 Watts approx. worst case

At 3V (which is as low as you really want to drive a 18650) 80W/3V = 26.6 Amps - call it 27
Worst case each battery (running at 3V) need at provide 27/3 or 9 Amps per battery
at higher charge/voltage levels (say the nominal 3.7V) about 7 Amps per battery

High drain batteries typically have lower internal resistance to be able to get to higher continuous Amperage levels
I would get three batteries rated at (at least) 10Amps continuous each.

lstmichel

Excellent reply. You gave me understanding.

I thank you.

3 10amp batteries is what is needed

Tadman1973

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to purchase a new light. These 2 models are on my short list as well as the TN36UT from Thrunite. Any suggestions between the 3?

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tn36utvn but stock UI. It's a good light. I like it so much I ordered tn30vn35. Triple xhp 35 throw version. 6000 lumen and 100k lux is alot.

LumenTodd

Newly Enlightened
I have the Manker MK34vn and use the Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh Unprotected Button Top. They work great and fit with no issues. I also use the same for my M43vn. I order my batteries from Richard at MTM Electronics.

LT