Maglite ML150LR Closer To Release

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I ordered mine today, plus another and a few other items. Disappointed it doesn't seem to come with a 12v hard wire plug. I had to order that separate.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I'll definitely give my first impressions. I don't have the equipment for measuring output and other factors(yet...looking for tips on how do build such equipment) so it wont be as in-depth as I'm sure many on this forum would expect. Maybe Ill even dig out the DSLR and play around with getting beam shots at night across the pasture.

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
In today's Maglite newsletter, they also announced the ML150LRX version (matt black) for an extra $17. Maglite listing HERE.

BTW, what's the most letters ever used in a flashlight name?

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
UPS delivered the goods today!
I got my ML150LR(2 of them really) in the mail and here are some quick and dirty pics.
The box has a "internal" picture under a top cover showing and image of the contents.

The top of the styrofoam box hold the manual.
1cWUhEA.jpg

Inside are all the goods neatly packaged.
If I had an idle complaint, it does not come with a charger plug to hard wire into a vehicles accessory switch.
It did not say so on the site description so I ordered 2 anyhow just to be on the safe side and glad I did.
pslxrsJ.jpg

Upon inserting the LiFePo battery you can see the tolerances are quite snug.

https://i.imgur.com/CYLZJZq.mp4

The whole light is about the size of a 3-Cell and feels of the quality you'd expect from Maglite. The charger cradle feels good the the locking feature is easy to use and works well. I'll find out how well once I mount it in a vehicle, but I doubt I'll have an issue.
The battery did have a charge out of the box with enough juice to be noticeably different on all 3 levels(inside the house).
I was going to take some beam shots but it wasn't quite dark enough and I want to let the battery get a good solid charge before testing it out.
As for the first hours out of the box I am quite satisfied with it. I just may have a replacement for my old 88' 3-D Mag...maybe.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the thoughts gas-n-go. The video shows the battery "fits like OJ's glove" lol.

Now replacing an 88? That's a bold statement bro.....
Looking forward to your other thoughts later.

Terry, Mag changed the way the twist action works in the ML 50 and 300 for a much improved beam pattern. I suspect this new one uses the same or similar method.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
So it charged pretty quickly last night. Once the cradle hit solid green I slipped some boots back on and went out to give it some test shots. Aiming it across the pasture it casts enough light to make a tree line about 200yards away go from a solid black wall to being able to define the difference in the tree and their trunks. It also makes the neighboring property wooden fence line defined enough to count the planks of wood. Keep in mind this wall of fence and trees is about 200 yards wide as well.
I then took it out to the road and shot it to the east and it was definitely lighting up all of the mailbox reflectors and street/stop signs down the road for over 1/4 mile.
I didnt take down any detailed observations as I was too busy "Ooo0oo00o'ing" and "Aaaaahhhhh'ing"like a kid.
I'll post more detailed info featured on the box, user manual and battery later on. And I'll knock the dust off the DSLR and try and get some respectable beam shots.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I got some beam shots.
I used my DSLR and I spent more time trying to re-familiarize myself with it then getting actual shots. I wasn't sure if there was a "standard" for settings to use when taking beam shots so I just sorta played around with various ISO and shutter speeds until I started getting pictures that resembled what I was actually seeing with my eyes. I maxed out the ISO and used a manual shutter with exposure times of about 1/4 seconds. I don't feel the light in the distance is quite as bright or a clear as my eyes see it but any longer and areas nearest to the camera became too washed and drifted away from what I was actually seeing.
So first pic of of the treeline, across the pasture, about 200 yards from where the camera is set up.
Basically a black image but if you'll notice just right of the center of the image you can see a red dot, that's a radio tower in the distance.
vDkyZMU.jpg

First beam shot is my EDC XL200 for 1/5 sec exposure
E2vmXbJ.jpg

First ML150LR shot is max output with tightest flood twist 1/4sec exposure
zx9S9Qw.jpg

Next shot is max output with max flood twist 1/4 sec exposure.
For those wondering of the beam profile, there does open up a dark spot in the very center at max flood but it nearly triples the spill.
q34I6pe.jpg

tip8G0G.jpg

Here is a tight spot at a 1.5 sec exposure. The tree line is closer to what I see, perhaps a little brighter, but the near by areas are too washed out.
qc26ON0.jpg

Here is a 2 sec exposure but I steadily panned the light from one end of the treeline to the other in those 2 seconds.

krht9v4.jpg

This one I felt came out pretty good. I assume it had a lot to do with placing the light ahead of the lens. This is a tight spot at 1/4 sec exposure.
q34I6pe.jpg

Again, this shot came out better with the light in front of the lens. This was full flood @ 1/4 sec exposure.

1YirgeV.jpg

And here is my unintended attempt at making a classic Maglite poster. Pointed the camera up as high as the tripod would allow and took a shot. This was 1.9 sec exposure to really get the stars in there. Perhaps I should do some with me standing out in the field. I'd need the wifes help as the timer would only take shots at the fastest shutter speed and would not capture a good image.

zlUY0RP.jpg

Here is the ML150LR in a lineup with some similar sized Mags. '88 3D, ML150LR, Old Style 4C and a 3C ML25T.
Its pretty much right in the middle as far as size goes.
According the the specs in the manual it is 12-13/16" tall or 325.42mm.
It weighs 28oz or 794 grams with the battery.
Head diameter is 2-1/4" (57.15mm)
Barrel diameter is 1-1/2 (38.1mm)
6.4 V LiFePO4 battery pack
Charge rate is 2500mA

Output is
High 1,082lm for 3hrs15min
Low 138lm for 18hrs
Eco 25lm for 79hrs
Total beam distance is 458m

There is warning on on light body, just above the model number, warning of it getting HOT.
It is not a joke.
Running on high for about 5 min you notice it getting pretty warm. After 10 min, its hot. 20 min and its HOT. Not too hot to hold(at least not for me) but hot enough to make you say "Damn, that's hot." I wish I still had a thermal thermometer to see how hot it actually gets. Now, keep in mind, this is running on high, face down on the desk, with not a whole lot of air circulation going on inside. I imagine if it were outside, on a night like tonight, where we have a strong breeze out of the north it may not be so bad. But they definitely did not laser etch the warning for gits and shiggles.

The light has the same 4 programmable setting and 4 modes with 3 modes under each setting just as the XL300 and alike. It's a neat feature but as with my XL300 I think Ill keep it on the standard mode. I don't see me using the strobe; or at least highly doubt I'll be in a situation where I will need it.

The cradle is nice, and the locking feature works great. The cord it comes with is plenty long as well.

I'm not used to its smaller size or weight compared to the 3D but I don't mean that in a bad way.
While the 3D is my old faithful that has been with me though a lot over the years I can say it would have been nice to have the ML150LR as a truck light in my company truck when working the Hurricane Harvey storm restoration and needing to clearly spot utility pole structures in the evening and early night time hours. On my first night of testing this out I spotted my houses transformer and could see every part of the structure, including the numbers on the transformer, clear as day. It's quite nice. I may have to recommend these get added to all the service men and construction trucks instead of the bulky older streamlight halogen lights I think they still use.

As Ive stated before I don't have a lumen meter so I can give any info on how output drops. Perhaps I should build one?

I know enthusiasts on here and other boards like to dump all over Maglite but you can't count them out yet, or any time soon. For people who want a light that is well made, simple AND bright, I feel the ML150LR is a great choice. I'm glad I ordered two of them and am happy the person receiving the other as a gift will be more than happy with it.

If anyone has any other questions please let me know.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Faaaaaaantastic. Thank you.

I really enjoyed your "hello from planet earth" picture.

One night I set a flashlight on a cooler then stood about 5 feet behind it and took a photo. It kinda put things in perspective on "what the user sees" type thing. But your photos told the story very well. Bravo.

It's really difficult to get a camera to match what we see. So thanks for the explanations.
This one is definitely going to be a rival to the Streamlight Stinger series.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
Glad you enjoyed it. After re-reading my post I saw a few typos and it seems I left a picture out. I'll correct it this evening.
I want to be as accurate as possible because I don't want to misrepresent my comments or the product. That, and when I took a photography class in college my instructor was a Marine combat photojournalist who's whole focus was using the tool that is the DSLR camera to capture the image as you see it. No flash allowed. No fancy tricks allowed. No post-editing software allowed. Just the raw image. Use any of those method and you fail the assignment. Do it twice and you fail the class. So I have that motivation to capture an honest representation of the light available because I know the DSLR can.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My man. Your teacher was awesome!!

I use a fixed f-stop and adjust with shutter speed and metering.
When I first got a Nikon D700 it wanted low light stuff to appear like I had turned the lights on. I learned spot meter and area meter (not total area) meter could get the intensity I wanted center vs edges and used shutter speed(s) to dial it in.

Now getting 1000 lumen hotspot and peripherals to match what you see may be beyond the capability of a digital sensor.

Here was a solution I found
IMG_20180312_153435.jpg

IMG_20180312_153557.jpg

Stepping back from the light.
The top one was 375 lumens. The bottom 650.

One way I show if it'll light the user in a tactical situation
IMG_20180312_154454.jpg

This is good

IMG_20180312_155337.jpg

This shows the user torsoe will be lit by their own light.

Last edited:

hsa

Enlightened
Hey, you almost chased ORIONS belt and sword out of the sky. That is a really nice light and you did good on the photos. Keep the night shots coming and don't forget to put a UCL in it from flashlightlens.com.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks much for all the info, pics and beam shots! Looks like a cool light.

1.5" sounds a little fatter than the barrel diameter on the C cell Mags, is this the case?

Are the cells inside the battery pack 26650's?

What is the diameter and length of the battery pack?

Thanks!

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a caliper so my measurements will be crude...
Battery pack length is a bit under 5 1/4 inch and the diameter is about 1 inch.
Circumference is a little over 3 1/4.

Pack is an INTEC sealed rechargeable lithium iron phosphate battery
2IFpR27/66

INTEC ILIF-3006526
ESR1EE8402 6.4 3.0AH 19.2Wh

Hope this helps.