Magnet in a flashlight bad for your health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was planning to put a magnet inside my E01 because I just replaced the original spring with a shorter one. I ruined the original spring when I pulled it out to clean the bottom because of a battery leak (this belongs to my co-worker), but it's mine now.

Since I will put it on my keychain and will be in my pocket most of the time. Will magnet be bad for my *ahem*:eek:...since it so close to them? Thanks.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people actually wear magnetic bracelets and rings because it is supposed to have beneficial properties... never proven by scientific research, though, but was never proven to be bad either.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was planning to put a magnet inside my E01 because I just replaced the original spring with a shorter one. I ruined the original spring when I pulled it out to clean the bottom because of a battery leak (this belongs to my co-worker), but it's mine now.

Since I will put it on my keychain and will be in my pocket most of the time. Will magnet be bad for my *ahem*:eek:...since it so close to them? Thanks.

Magnets you can carry around with you don't seem to have any measurable effect. If you truly believed it had a therapeutic benefit, it would - yay placebo effect!

Connor

Enlightened
Apparently magnets are safe for humans, except for very large ones. Those could squash you. :nana:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magnets should not bother your parts

It might attract more iron to the area so maybe you could drive nails with it? It will bring a new meaning to the term "Hammer Time".

Now to find my meds... :D

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magnets will create a magnetic field, and we are already inside a large one from the earth, but the one from the magnet will be a lot stronger since it is closer to you.

The benefits or dangers aren't proven as another member mentioned, but personally, I would avoid if possible. Perhaps you can get a longer spring or use something else?

DJack

Newly Enlightened
Like everyone else has already said, there are no known negative or positive health effects. Some people do wear magnets all the time and claim that it improves circulation. I would be most worried about electronics. Don't get your watch or cell phone too close to it or they could be damaged.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been wearing my Zebralight H501 with 2 magnets attached to it for about 18 months now. I wear it nearly 24/7 and even sleep with the light around my neck. So far there has been no problem that I am aware of.
IMG_5188.jpg

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I'm remembering a line from Star Trek TNG where a cute girl tells young Westley, who is handling something about the size of a flashlight, some to the effect of "Hey, be careful with that magnetic unit, it'll pull the iron right out of your hemoglobin!" ...but unless you have such a unit from the 25th century (or whenever it was in that show), I'm absolutely confident there is no effect whatsoever.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If magnets were a problem no one would be getting MRI's. I've had magnets on the tail end of a number of lights (L0D, Zebralight, Maratac, QMini AA and 123) over the years. Everything still seems in order.

I think you will be OK. However,if women are attracted to you at an alarming rate..please let us know!

Unfortunately not a side effect I've noticed.

Geoff

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If magnets were a problem no one would be getting MRI's.
Ionizing radiation is a problem, but people are still getting X-rays. Most medical imaging comes with associated risks that are outweighed with the benefit of finding out what's wrong. This is most noticeable with CT scans and X-rays, and while MRIs are safer and use non-ionizing radiation, it's still radiation. The dangers are similar to cell phones, which are still debatable.

Walterk

Enlightened
It is hazardous two swallow two such flashlights, as they can cling together inside you, trapping tissue inbetween. The tissue gets damaged over time, causing a perforation and make you bleed to daeth. But you have only one, so you should be fine.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm remembering a line from Star Trek TNG where a cute girl tells young Westley, who is handling something about the size of a flashlight, some to the effect of "Hey, be careful with that magnetic unit, it'll pull the iron right out of your hemoglobin!" ...but unless you have such a unit from the 25th century (or whenever it was in that show), I'm absolutely confident there is no effect whatsoever.
Except that the iron in your blood, what tiny amount there is, is not ferromagnetic.

Any magnet that you can fit in your hand is not going to affect the body. Devices that might affect the body are huge and use alternating fields not a small, weak constant field.

Oh, and while I have the pulpit out...STOP buying magnetic jewelry thinking that it does something! It does NOTHING! The same applies to crystals or any other material that charlatans think sound fancy. They do NOTHING except empty your wallet and perpetuate non-scientific nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.