Malkoff LED drop-in for Surefires Spec List

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey guys, so I have an M60 (XR-E??) in my Elzetta 3-cell light and am thinking I should just run a 17670 + dummy cell instead.

I was reading on Oveready's M60 page:

Fully regulated output between 3.8 and 9.0 volts
Below 3.8v it drops out of regulation and continues running with gradually declining output

POWER SUPPLY OPTIONS:

This drop-in runs on 1, but is optimized for 2 rechargeable cells

It will give full output on 2 cells until your cells are completely discharged
On 1 cell, it will run part of the way in regulated, then 'drop out' into a long continuous dimming

so the above wording has me confused. If its voltage input starts at 3.8 volts, isn't that all regulated above the 3.8v level like it seems to say? but it also says it's optimized for 2 RCR cells. I need some real clarification here.

will I see the same good light output on a single RCR 17670 like I do with 3x CR123s?

for the record, I'm looking at buying a "16650 KeepPower 2500mAh Sanyo UR16650ZTA 4.35V Protected Button Top"

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tucker: It is a little confusing, but you will get a little brighter output with the 2 RCR cells, as the voltage will be higher (8.4v's max) as compared with the single Li Ion cell at either 4.35v's or 4.2v's. It won't stay in regulation for long, but you will get slightly less lumens. You may not even be able to notice it. Just compare it to using a Malkoff M61 on a single Li Ion cell. Get your Elzetta bored out and use 2 x 18500 cells. :)

Airmanb

Newly Enlightened
Purchased 2 XR-E M60s (Elzetta) last week and I'm comparing the beams and I noticed one is slightly cooler than other. I also noticed that the one that has the really nice color temperature (the less cool one) has less of a spherical hot spot, and has a weird rainbow ring around the beam. The rainbow bugs me so I'll probably rock the slightly cooler one for now, but out of curiosity what is the color temperature supposed to be on the XR-E M60?

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I have 2 M60WLF's a M91W(3700K) IIRC. I wonder how rare my M60WLF are?

I have two M60LF's I use for hiking... they are perfect for getting out of the woods right after sunset. I don't know how much the warm version would go for these days, but I imagine they are awesome as users!

diwade27

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for sharing.
It helps me estimate my runtime with my application.
Thanks

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the very first chart, there is a a typo. M60L runtime is 4:30, not 1:30. Probably just carried over from the top value as Excel does at times.
In another instance, it's stated correctly.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two M60LF's I use for hiking... they are perfect for getting out of the woods right after sunset. I don't know how much the warm version would go for these days, but I imagine they are awesome as users!

They are.

My Wife uses one in the kitchen in a MD2 with a Hi/Lo Ring powered by a single 18650 so I don't have to worry about charging except once a month or so.

The other one is my almost daily used one in a VME head & FM 18650 body.

If they ever die I will be sad.

anongpc

Newly Enlightened
I use some of malkoff led parts before. like M60 M61w, it has high lums,also good quality. just be fit for surefire flashlight. like 3p 6p 9p c2....

bykfixer

Flashaholic

If you like the look of incadecent, you'll like the W. If you don't then you'll hate it.
I just got a M61WL from them for $48 shipped.

I think personally it lights far away objects better when the spot is on something close because the 'flashback' is less.
It's a psycological thing I suppose. I mean that it does not actually throw any further, but it appears that way.

^^ the M61 in an MD2 on hi.

^^ the M61WLL (about 75Lm)
See how everything appears more evenly lit?

It's why I went with as close to the P60 output as I could find.

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if there are plans to update this thread with current Gene's current offerings, or at least the current dropins?

I've referenced NR's excellent OP for a long time. An update would be fantastic. :)

lund1660

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone I have a surefire 9p with a malkoff m61sho Iam running two aw 17500. I have heard of people running rechargeable 16340 with the m61sho. Who else has done it was the light brighter, better run time?

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Can anyone explain to me (in layman's terms) what this "drop-in" term refers to exactly? I'm new to this...

Thanks...