Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo

KBobAries

Enlightened
Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Shootout (Updating)

M61N 2x 18650 results were posted last night, just above your post. Unless you were wanting to see the test ETC mentioned...

Ah... I missed it. Thanks very much for that. You did the test I wanted as I don't have any 18500 cells. I'm quite surprised by the huge jump in output. As I understand it, Malkoff is usually conservative in their estimates but that's about 30% more! Very nice.

Thank you again,

Dan

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Shootout (Updating)

Ah... I missed it. Thanks very much for that. You did the test I wanted as I don't have any 18500 cells. I'm quite surprised by the huge jump in output. As I understand it, Malkoff is usually conservative in their estimates but that's about 30% more! Very nice.

Thank you again,

Dan

It's a beautiful thing. Looking forward to trying it!

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo (Weekly Updates!)

Interesting.

You can make this a very low priority, but if you get a chance:

M61N on 2x18500

Increase voltage but not capacity versus 1x18650 - does that mean it will run 1/2 the time of the MD4?

As is the case with Hound Dog?
I'll run the test tomorrow {tonight} it should end up being a fairly short test.

I honestly don't have a good plan, just one step at a time. Sometimes things fall into place and I get a good idea. Lately i don't quite feel focused but it always works out one way or another.
... OP requoted, to fix title going forward ...
Thanks Archi:thumbsup:

+1 request for tests with m61lll.

since this dropin has a large range of voltage, so it would be interesting to test at least with eneloops (1AA and 2AA) and one lion.

no rush, just a suggestion :)

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are a couple more graphs for the M31LLL 219b. Rayovac AA requested by woods. Will test eneloop tomorrow for comparison. I will also get these linked in post #2 tomorrow

Here is M31L 219b v1 Rayovac Primary and a Comparison

and a ETC request: M61N MD3 18500

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are a couple more graphs for the M31LLL 219b. Rayovac AA requested by woods.

. . . Question are these off 1xAA or 2xAA? I assume 1xAA but wanted to confirm.

and a ETC request: M61N MD3 18500

Interesting . . . One does have to read the chart, as it's "logarithmic" and not proportional to scale, i.e. MD3 looks like it has 2/3 of the MD4 runtime judging by the space under the graph but looking closely at the labels, it has 2 hour runtime versus 4 hour runtime.
Pretty much the same result as with the Hound Dog, where MD4 does much better than MD3.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 request for tests with m61lll.

since this dropin has a large range of voltage, so it would be interesting to test at least with eneloops (1AA and 2AA) and one lion.

no rush, just a suggestion :)
This module will not work on 1AA, it only puts out 15-17lm with 2x Eneloop Pro. I started a 2x E-Pro test as I do not have any standard eneloops ready. I will also do a test with 18650GA and Rayovac Primary because i do not think we have any data at all on this module yet.

I have completed my final test on the M31L 219b v1 (1x Energizer Lithium) I am not going to run anymore tests on this module; I think we have enough data on it. Will post graph here in a bit. I will try to think of what I want to test next and go from there.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just realized that I have kind of opened a can of worms. As tests continue, I am finding that 1 simple test is making it so i have to update several graphs. If you happen to look at a comparison graph and see something missing, please let me know so i can update it.

Here is M31L v1 vs v2 rayovac 1400 comparison. just this one test needs to be added to several comparison graphs. Will try to get these done today. I have several that I need to get linked

M31L 219b v1 Energizer Lithium

Updated and Final M31L 219b v1 Comparison

Updated and final M31 219b series rayovac 1400 comparison

Updated M31 219b Series Eneloop: missing M31LLL as i have not tested eneloops on this module yet

Last edited:

stay calm ifrnl
I have some ideas in mind that can help you and help all of us junkies in the visualization of the graphics

your work is magnificent.

As for dropin m61lll, I had thought of 2x eneloops.
I will possibly use an md4 host, being able to opt for 2, 3 or 4 eneloops (with oveready extender) as well as two 18650.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

stay calm INFRNL
I have some ideas in mind that can help you and help all of us junkies in the visualization of the graphics

your work is magnificent.

As for dropin m61lll, I had thought of 2x eneloops.
I will possibly use an md4 host, being able to opt for 2, 3 or 4 eneloops (with oveready extender) as well as two 18650.
:p

I am currently trying to update my M31 comparison Graphs to accommodate the new tests. I'm posting them so i can keep track of what i will update in the links

It will be a while before i decide to run 3x eneloop in the M61N or any module and i do not have the capabilities to test 4xAA (thank GOD):laughing: so you can't currently request 4xAA:naughty:

If you have good ideas to help....spit it out or send me a message via pm or email

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have any M31 series but this is awesome anyway.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent.
You deserve and shall receive a Malkoff Medal.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

haha.

Unfortunately I got ahead of myself. Was just thinking to myself that i have tons and tons of testing left to do with all of the variations available for every module/light.
I thought I was running one of my last M31 tests(M31LLL eneloop), but i realized that i still have the energizer lithium tests, 2xAA tests and standard eneloop tests to complete still. on many of the M31 series.

Will we ever see the light at the end of the tunnel???

Last night I got everything setup to start gathering my current draw readings. I have not made it very far and came across a minor issue. One of the modules I played with for a while and got slightly different results. But I guess it's all in the ballpark of being hungry so it will not matter all that much.

I'm working on some kind of spread sheet. it will probably start out basic until I can figure out how to modify the template or find a good template to use. Since starting all the testing; this is basically the first time I have ever had to use excel in the nearly 45yrs of my life...so I have absolutely no idea of what can be achieved. I do know there is a lot that can be done; just figuring out how to do it is the challenge for me.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

M61LLL 219b 2x Eneloop Pro...Not recommended

M31LLL 219b Eneloop Std

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hm, I knew this would be bad but didn't know that bad.
Interesting points to contemplate - not sure if you have the equipment but M61LLL on either 3xAA Eneloops or even Alkalines.

RE: M61LLL 219b 2x Eneloop Pro...Not recommended

What a tragedy! I confess that I expected more of this poor dropin m61lll.

as etc said, with 3x eneloops the graphic should get a little more interesting.

infrnl: thanks for the test.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've tested M60LL, presumably not that much different from M61LL in terms of current draw or lumens about 8 years ago - I got the impression it got a very long runtime but pretty dim. But it has been so long ago. I used alkalines.

would be really interested to see M61LLL on 3xAA - alkalines, possibly NiMH.