Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo

KBobAries

Enlightened
Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - Ongoing Adventure

...Complete M31 219b Series Comparison

Anyone have an idea about the wonky M31 219B above? All the M31 219B series on illumn have the following quote in their descriptions: "The input voltage is 0.8 to 3.3 volts. It requires 1.8v for full output. It is ideal for use with one CR123 primary, two 1.5v AA lithiums, or two rechargeable AA NIMH batteries."

bigfoot

Enlightened

Kinda surprised here too at how much of a battery hog the M31W is on a single CR123 primary. Guess that's a reminder that these nice warmer tints just aren't as efficient. Oh well, enjoying it anyway!

And thanks again to INFRNL for doing these awesome graphs!

:goodjob:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone have an idea about the wonky M31 219B above? All the M31 219B series on illumn have the following quote in their descriptions: "The input voltage is 0.8 to 3.3 volts. It requires 1.8v for full output. It is ideal for use with one CR123 primary, two 1.5v AA lithiums, or two rechargeable AA NIMH batteries."

It's my guess that the battery was having trouble providing the current that the dropin wanted.

--flatline

KBobAries

Enlightened

It's my guess that the battery was having trouble providing the current that the dropin wanted.

--flatline

Ok, thanks for that. The same module with an Eneloop pro does quite well. Coincidently, earlier today I couldn't find a part on the Malkoff website and called them. Gene answered and we chatted a bit before he helped me with my order. He's a big fan of Eneloop pros and mentioned their current carrying capabilities. I didn't think to ask but now it makes me wonder how he optimizes drivers and LEDs. Is he trying to balance all the various battery chemistries or giving an edge to what is likely the most common rechargeable AA around?

Dan

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad that you guys are finding these useful and sorry that I do not have more graphs yet. there is still a ton of testing to do. I would like to get all the main testing done, but even that will take a lot of time.

I will also see what I can do for the requests. I now have just over 60 different lights/modules; so you can see I have only made a small dent in the testing.

Here is a new graph: MDC 16650 219b

Also, It is slowly starting to get crowded in some areas. i will have to try and figure out a plan to have it all organized enough to be able to more easily find the graphs.
I am also going to start making a spreadsheet of ea module to show rated specs and actual current draw.

Here is something interesting: Thanks to Dan for supplying the v1 module:thumbsup:...more comparison tests will be done on the v1 vs v2
M31L 219b v1 vs v2 Rayovac AA comparison.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are the first results of the M31LLL 219b Rayovac Primary (Keep in mind that this module is only rated for 15lm)
The graph makes it look like a sharp drop off at the end, but it looks worse than it is because of the way I broke down the test.
ApIAeHZ.jpg

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Kinda surprised here too at how much of a battery hog the M31W is on a single CR123 primary. Guess that's a reminder that these nice warmer tints just aren't as efficient. Oh well, enjoying it anyway!

And thanks again to INFRNL for doing these awesome graphs!

:goodjob:

The M31 Cool White is probably the exact same. If like the rest my M61s the tint only reduces the lumens not runtimes.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Yup. The Alkaline AAs go on forever in the M31s running DD but Eneloops die without the loooong taper. I think it's becasue of the lower voltage.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

here are a few more graphs. I am currently just testing an M31l 219b v1 because a fellow member sent it to me to check out and compare to the current v2

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Shootout (Updating)

Interesting... wow.

Reaffirms what I already suspected. the more cells in the series, the more efficient the device is. I knew it wouldn't be great but didn't know how bad it would be. So with 3V, it walks off the cliff in the first 5 minutes and then stays at 10 lumens for essentially forever or 24 hours, whichever comes first.

Just to add something interesting, has there been a chart of M61WLL on 2xAA? If my estimate is correct, 2xAA has the same voltage but greater capacity than 1x123, thus same lumens but even longer runtime. Theoretically.

Another special request: I am scanning the first page, I do not see any M61LL or M61LLL on 2xAA or 3xAA (would be interesting to see both in both configurations. Say 2xAA Alkalines and 3xAA Alkalines and 3xAA NiMH, 2xAA NiMH doesn't make sense I think.
Especially M61LLL (219 or not) on 3xAA.

2 is > 1
3> 2
and of course 4>3
Will see when I can work these in for you. I actually do not have much done for the M61 line yet. I also want to get some of the main tests done on the 219b line
There's some great data in this thread and I think it's likely to help Malkoff's sales. INFRNL, thanks for being so generous with your time and resources to put it all together. May I request a test of an M61N (or M61 if a neutral variant is unavailable) in 2 x 18650 format? No rush; I'm sure there are many tests/requests in the queue ahead of me.

Thanks,

Dan
Getting ready to run this test;) just have to top off the cells. I am not sure how long this test will run for. I have to head to Omaha tomorrow to pick up a load for Oregon, but I will be home Tuesday night for till next weekend.
I am also not sure what other tests I want to run on your M31L 219b v1. I think we have enough data for comparison to the current v2, but I might get all of the tests out of the way so we have them.
I would like to see a 1XAA runtime test.
I will run these tests when I get back home on Tuesday

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting... wow.

Reaffirms what I already suspected. the more cells in the series, the more efficient the device is. I knew it wouldn't be great but didn't know how bad it would be. So with 3V, it walks off the cliff in the first 5 minutes and then stays at 10 lumens for essentially forever or 24 hours, whichever comes first.

Just to add something interesting, has there been a chart of M61WLL on 2xAA? If my estimate is correct, 2xAA has the same voltage but greater capacity than 1x123, thus same lumens but even longer runtime. Theoretically.

Another special request: I am scanning the first page, I do not see any M61LL or M61LLL on 2xAA or 3xAA (would be interesting to see both in both configurations. Say 2xAA Alkalines and 3xAA Alkalines and 3xAA NiMH, 2xAA NiMH doesn't make sense I think.
Especially M61LLL (219 or not) on 3xAA.

2 is > 1
3> 2
and of course 4>3
I just thought about this...the reason why you do not see these tests is because they would be extremely long. I'm guessing that you want over 10hrs of near full output before the drop off. We will have to see. I am trying to work on shorter tests at the moment.

Here are some more M31L 219b v1 results

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are a couple of the M61N MD4, MD2 vs MD4 graphs

Interesting.

You can make this a very low priority, but if you get a chance:

M61N on 2x18500

Increase voltage but not capacity versus 1x18650 - does that mean it will run 1/2 the time of the MD4?

As is the case with Hound Dog?

Last edited:

KBobAries

Enlightened

Will see when I can work these in for you. I actually do not have much done for the M61 line yet. I also want to get some of the main tests done on the 219b line

Getting ready to run this test;) just have to top off the cells. I am not sure how long this test will run for. I have to head to Omaha tomorrow to pick up a load for Oregon, but I will be home Tuesday night for till next weekend.
I am also not sure what other tests I want to run on your M31L 219b v1. I think we have enough data for comparison to the current v2, but I might get all of the tests out of the way so we have them.

I will run these tests when I get back home on Tuesday

Cool beans! I'm looking forward to the results. As for the M31 keep it until you've done everything you want. It's my laundry room light and I'm sure I can find a substitute around here somewhere. ;)

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool beans! I'm looking forward to the results. As for the M31 keep it until you've done everything you want. It's my laundry room light and I'm sure I can find a substitute around here somewhere. ;)
M61N 2x 18650 results were posted last night, just above your post. Unless you were wanting to see the test ETC mentioned...

I think I am close to having enough tests done on the M31L 219b v1. I just finished the rayovac 1400 primary test last night. Will post results tomorrow night.
I think the only batteries left to test would be the Energizer lithium and 2x energizer lithium and i am not 100% sure i want to run those tests on this module. I was mainly doing it to compare to the v2. I do need to compare tint and beam still.
It appears that v1 typically has higher output for a while but efficiency doesn't hold up as well. However on the Eneloop test (I believe it was) this changed and I believe the v2 did better throughout the test.

I'm currently running the M31LLL 219b v2 Rayovac AA test. It should be close to completed by the time I get back tomorrow (I hope i timed it right)