Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - Ongoing Adventure

I am amazed at what the super is capable of. Gene needs to make more lights that can run off of such a variety of cell options.
The super is a diamond in the rough. The only thing lacking is it not being the best beam profile for most general use. I do find it more appealing now after testing than when i first bought it though. I have one setup on md4 and one setup on md2.

I am starting to be able to see things more clearly from all the comparison tests. I never imagined these graphs being so useful but they are proving to be wonders of information.

I have a couple new tests done, more planned since i now own all nichia models and i still have a bunch of m61 series tests i need to get in order so i can link the results

I also need to start getting my cool white lights tested for efficiency comparisons

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hound Dog Super does just fine on low mode most of the time. The low mode is not really low. It's what I would call general mode, or medium. There is nothing 'low' about it. HD Super's low mode is where custom modded lights were hoping to get about 10 years ago and called it 'high'. Just to reiterate, the low mode in HD Super has higher lux than Malkoff M61 (high).

I didn't think HD Super would light up at all on 1x18650. Turns out it runs under-voltaged, but runs and does so just fine. Generating only half a gazillion lumens.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

this is exactly what I wanted to see -- thank you! Most excellent

Re: M61 HOT/T/M61 Primary Comparison
Re: M91T

Any possibility of plotting M61HOT on MD2 versus M61T in MD4? The former runs only in MD2 of course while the latter can do M2, MD3 or MD4 (Assuming 18650 Li-ions of course, not primaries).

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you run a 2XNiMH or Alk on the M31LL yet?
Sorry Woods, Somehow i missed this post. I think i got some of it linked now. i haven't done too much with 2xAA yet. We will have to wait until my next decent break. Maybe next weekend, but it might be 2-3wks before I get the time again.
We need to make a list of requests in the Junkie thread so i can run everyone's request when i can

Any possibility of plotting M61HOT on MD2 versus M61T in MD4? The former runs only in MD2 of course while the latter can do M2, MD3 or MD4 (Assuming 18650 Li-ions of course, not primaries).
Sure, i will do a graph of M61HOT MD2 vs T MD4 on li-ion...I do have the data for this, right? I am really out of it today:eek:

In the meantime...for Liftd: I ran a M361 219b High mode test on KP 16340 and it did not log. I reran the test with a rested cell and the results are not as good. When i get back to testing, i will rerun this test.
In this particular Graph,; i stopped it at 40min because i think this is where it started to flicker on/off. I was busy and didn't notice it until the 1hr 5min mark.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

How is this?

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are the M31LL 2x Energizer Lithium results. Runtime is quite long, so it will take me a while to try and make a 2x Energizer lithium comparison graph and that just isn't going to happen today...sorry
EgRYM7h.jpg

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

How is this?
[/URL]

To call it outstanding would be an understatement - thank you.

One small question, I didn't catch it - what cells did use with the M61T / MD3 combo? Looks like Panasonic 18500 2000mah Protected/KP Panny 2000 Protected you listed above, just wanted to confirm.

Although from the graph, it looks very much like some kind of Li-ion with a protection circuit that kicks in and the lumens walk off the cliff as all protected cells do, so primaries are very much out.

Very interesting graph.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I keep studying the "M61 HOT/T/M61 18650GA Protected Comparison" graph.

On paper, there is a much larger difference between M61T and M61HOT, but visually, not that great. Yeah, I know logarithmic and all that.

Second observation, just pure lumens alone - while they are an indication, higher lux makes an equivalent lumens light appear brighter. M61 is about 5K Lux, M61T is 12K according to Malkoff (I think I heard an alternative number of 15K elsewhere). Just the higher lux alone makes M61T *appear* brighter, due to greater throw, hotter hotspot.

M91 is a perfect example of high lumens, low lux device that appears to be much weaker than it actually is. Outside it just a no-go IMO and IME. I've had once upon a time and it felt like holding a bare light bulb. tons of flood, almost zero throw. Really good for looking for a pin lost on a carpet 3 feet away not very good for shining upon a tree 30 feet away.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Question, can you create a single graph with:

M61
M61T
M61HOT
M91T
18650 Hound Dog

I think you have the data already, just needs to be in a single chart.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

If I am reading this right the M31LL 219 holds regulation of 55 lumens for 4.24 hours on 1XAA Alky and over 12 hours (starts higher then drops fast to 55) using 2X Lithium primaries?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I am reading this right the M31LL 219 holds regulation of 55 lumens for 4.24 hours on 1XAA Alky and over 12 hours (starts higher then drops fast to 55) using 2X Lithium primaries?

Still getting used to this thread, but I don't see the Alkaline test you're referring to. Post #33 has the M31LL 219 running on one Eneloop pro with much less regulation than that?

As for the 2xAA lithium primaries, I read it the same way you do.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

How does the M61 look on 3 primaries?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Question, can you create a single graph with:

M61
M61T
M61HOT
M91T
18650 Hound Dog

I think you have the data already, just needs to be in a single chart.
I can see what I can come up with. Sometimes it's not as easy as one would think.

@woodswalker and modern....more woods, you have me confused.
Maybe it's cause I'm trying to look on my phone. Will have to look on my laptop when I get time.

We went from m31ll 219 on 1 lithium aa to a rayovac graph to an eneloop graph. I haven't run that module on 1 lithium aa yet.

Also keep in mind that the initial reading is an initial peak reading before I start the test.

The info you mentioned sounds like the 2xaa lithium test but that ran solid through the entire test pretty much

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

This would be nice to know, I have an M61N and I usually use it with an 18650 but would like to know how it will do on 3 primaries as well.

From what I remember from tests about 8-10 years ago on Malkoff M60LL, you gain more than 50% runtime with 1 additional cell. It makes the light more efficient. you get free 15 minutes or such versus running it on 2x123.

ie.. to oversimplify, if you get 1 hour on 2x123, you will not get 90 minutes on 3x123. But better.

Latest posts