Maratac AAA Q5 (Part 4)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I was thinking to send the Aluminum Natural HAlll to my Parents. They use a Maglite AA at the present time :(

Should I wait till October for the L-M-H, or is the M-L-H fine. I guess it's a personal preference.
If you got them a couple of the copper ones, they've already got the low>med>high sequence. The copper or flat finish SS are my two favorite Maratacs as they have such a nice feel, finish and for a gift they really are hard to beat.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
There's two schools of thought on light made of easily tarnishable materials and I belong to the one that likes the patina. Heck, there's even a thread on the progress of tarnishing on the Cu Maratac.
If you don't think they'd be into the Cu then the SS is hard to beat.

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
After seeing the specs on the 'AA," I've decided to get the 'AA" in black for my Parents, and I'm going to get the 'AAA" in Copper (or maybe wait for the 'AA' copper version, if made available :) ) I personally would like the patina.
I saw a video on the 'AAA' copper version, and it appeared the lumens were less, as it may have been driven at a lower amperage. Would this be accurate, or maybe there was an issue with the test I saw.
How is the heat conductivity of the copper vs. aluminum?

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I saw a video on the 'AAA' copper version, and it appeared the lumens were less, as it may have been driven at a lower amperage. Would this be accurate, or maybe there was an issue with the test I saw.
How is the heat conductivity of the copper vs. aluminum?

I've seen discussion that suggests the M/L/H sequence is better for non-flashaholics as they get enough light for most purposes (ie Medium) with a single twist, and if they forget there are two other levels available then it doesn't really matter. A L/M/H light may get dismissed as "not bright enough" if they forget to give the extra twists. IIRC The AAA and AA Maratacs have similar levels of brightness (but longer run times for the AA version of course).

If I compare my Maratac AAA SS and Cu lights (both on eneloops) the Cu hotspot is slightly larger but less intense, which means slightly wider illumination but less throw (but not a big difference unless you really look for it).

The heat conductivity of the Maratac AAA lights is a non-issue unless you intend to run Hi with 10440 batteries, in which case I'd recommend the Cu version as it's greater mass seems to soak up the heat better (I run a 10440 IMR battery in my Cu, but only for up to 30 seconds on Hi at a time).

biker1

Enlightened
@ Gregozedobe
Thanks for your input.
Btw, the video of the copper 'AAA' looked considerably less bright than the other 2 in the video.

I spoke with someone at Maratac (I could not understand the pronunciation of his name) but he said that the sequence is M-L-H, and there are no plans for L-M-H in October. He said the sequence has changed 3x? due to the input received here.

M-L-H as you say, is especially good for my parents for the reasons you stated.
The 'AA' accessibility is a big plus, as it also has a nice output.
I use a CR123A light for everyday carry, and will get the Cu version as it is real nice looking, in addition to being a very well made light, and I can slip it my pocket as a back up :)
But I may wait for the 'AA" Cu version, if Maratac decides to make it. i think they may.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I spoke with someone at Maratac (I could not understand the pronunciation of his name) but he said that the sequence is M-L-H, and there are no plans for L-M-H in October. He said the sequence has changed 3x? due to the input received here.

M-L-H as you say, is especially good for my parents for the reasons you stated.
The 'AA' accessibility is a big plus, as it also has a nice output.

Hmm, it seems not everyone at Countycomm are on the same page, recently I received an email from 'sales' at Countycomm (in reply to my question about availability of L/M/H AAA lights) and their reply was
Hopefully end of october...
Given that these lights are made by ITP and ITP are already shipping L/M/H AAA EOS A3 lights I'd put my money on Countycomm also having them with L/M/H in the not too distant future.

Remember to tell your parents about the L/M/H sequence of the Maratac/ITP AA lights (IIRC they have never made a AA M/L/H version)

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Maratac Cu today. It has such a great feel in the hand and is so much easier to pocket cary than 123 lights (my first AAA). No issues here other than wanting to tell everyone to be careful installing the clip. The copper body is rather soft and the steel clip will dig in as you try and push it into place :(

biker1

Enlightened
From my experience, the polished SS is the only one on the Maratac AAA series that
hasn't a very very smooth action. The other models are unbeateable on this and have one of the
best twist action I found in a AAA light, being the SS not polished the best for me.
I suggest you clean the thread and put a bit of nano-oil 10w on it.

Some of my Maratac's

Nice Pic :thumbsup:

I just ordered the AAA Copper and the AA Polished Stainless.
Is the beam and output the same for the AAA copper as it is for the AAA aluminum?
I ask because I saw a video where the copper has a lower output high beam and a tint compared to the aluminum.
CountyComm said that the drivers and LEDs on both are the same, or should be.
Maybe it was a bad AAA in the video.
Also, what is the sequence in your AAA and AA copper?
L-M-H?
M-H-L?
They may vary between AAAs and AAs depending on the finish?

biker1

Enlightened
My newer (L/M/H) Maratac Cu and ITP AA lights both have significantly higher PWM frequency (but my older Maratac and ITP lights with the slower PWM didn't bother me much)

I've just been told by someone from Maratac sales that they hope to start selling the L/M/H versions of their Aluminium and Stainless steel AAA lights in October (the Cu version has always been L/M/H).

I wish they would sell to non-US buyers so I could purchase direct from them :(

I am a little :confused: as I spoke with someone the other day at CountyComm who said the sequence is M-L-H for the AA with no plans to change it in October.
I will speak with Michael on Monday to get clarification.

whill44

Enlightened
Just posted my order for a black and stainless aa with a black, stainless and copper aaa. I know, I know, but just couldn't stop pressing the button in time. :twothumbs Now I'm broke...:(

fishx65

Enlightened
Just did the heatshrink trick to one of my aaa SS Maratacs and it worked out awesome. I like to reverse the clips and use them as headlamps but the weak clips just pop right off when switching modes. I just put about 1/2 inch of heatshrink over the clip were it snaps on the body. Been using the little Maratac every night to get out of my deer hunting spots.

biker1

Enlightened
Received the AAA Copper. A really nice light. Pretty bright for a small light. Nice little flood action going on.
Confirmed mode sequence, without memory >
L - M - H

Also received the AA polished stainless steel light, But i didn't get to see it because I direct shipped to my parents. They really like it, and confirm mode sequence, without memory >
L - M - H

Too bad the AA will be sitting in the glove box of a car. Seems such a shame to hide such a good looking light :(
But when needed, I am sure it will perform to the best of it's ability, unless it's :crazy: about being hidden away.

cdesigns

Newly Enlightened
God my Maratac AAA yesterday, this little thing really shines on a single AAA, I cant wait to test 10440 on this one.

One thing I can say is that they have a real thick anodized coating on them, I laser engraved mine and it took me 3-4 passes to get the art done on a 40watt laser engraver.

I graphic got damaged but its not bad. I will buy another one next week. excellent light.

I will be taking this light apart to have it polished so I will show the internals soon.
More info on my engraving here
maratacaaa1.jpg

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
What's the consensus on the operation of the copper model? Does it seem to be a manufacturing issue or is it just a matter of clean and lube? They look sweet but I have no interest if it is just going to be annoying to use.

Mine was a little gritty out of the foil but after a thorough clean with alcohol, kitchen towel and a couple of tooth-picks, it was clean and free; then a good lube, not forgetting to roll the o-ring in lube between the thumb and forefinger, and now the Maratac Cu. has the smoothest action of any of my 'lights...(and I have a few!). :thumbsup:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was a little gritty out of the foil but after a thorough clean with alcohol, kitchen towel and a couple of tooth-picks, it was clean and free; then a good lube, not forgetting to roll the o-ring in lube between the thumb and forefinger, and now the Maratac Cu. has the smoothest action of any of my 'lights...(and I have a few!). :thumbsup:
I wonder if CountyComm is getting new AAA lights if they will be like the new iTP Lights (now Olight i3) with the screw on clip. I'd like to see that, but it's not reversable so that will mess some people up, and reduce the flexibility of the light. Maybe Maratac will stick with the existing clip.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
which emitter options exist for the Maratac AAA?
is it still Q5 only

Patriot

Flashaholic
Many of us have been using 10440 batteries in these lights, some of us even use them exclusively. Recently a friend of mine dropped off a SS version that had been working but stopped working after a short time using 10440s. In the past, I usually just clean the threads or sand the front of the battery tube with some 400 grit and nonworking Maratacs start working again. This time though, the light really is dead.

Although some have experienced DOA lights this one was working and then stopped working, which leads me to lean toward the idea that it may have had something to do with the 10440. I'm not aware of any other reports of the 10440 killing a maratac so this just might be the first. This light came from a recent batch that was purchased within the last couple of months. Hopefully, this is just a fluke and not the result of a newer, lower quality pill of some type.

I report this with most of us knowing that the Maratac was never designed to work with this cell, however I promised long ago that I'd post a brief if I ever suspected a 10440 cell to have damaged a light.