MD26E Drop-ins - single XM-L2, triple 219, quad XP-G2, XM-L2 mule

Vinz

Newly Enlightened
Hi, folks!

Sorry for the late reply! But I spent all my free time into the high quality "Mjölnir" super thrower project, which will be revealed here on CPF in a few weeks. :devil:

I assume that the XM-L triple uses the standard XP-G Carclo optic and the XM-Ls are de-domed to fit under it?

Have you ever looked into boring out a 6Ps head to match it to the Solarforce drop-in cavity? I've been waiting get hold of an old knackered Surefire host to try it out on.
I personally really like the Solarforce hosts and the quality of them but we all like the Surefires as well and if there was a mod to give them greater function then that can only be a good thing.

Yes, the XM-L2 have to be de-domed to fit the triple carclo optics.

Not yet. But should be easily possible. I've only "reshaped" some older 6P and reduced them slightly in size to get jacket suitable but still reliable tactical flashlights. I tested on one of them a black DLC 4000 coating, with 3000HV and a COF same as Teflon (PTFE). It was the best coating on a Flashlight I've ever seen. But it was also very tricky to get the contact area in the head clean again.:ironic:

6P_zpsf3f94730.jpg

also, what is the drive current for the triple XML2
9 amps with the XM-L and 7 amps with the XM-L2. Output is around the same.

I think we need to see some photos of these hepta mules
I should have finished some more at the end of this year and will make some pictures then. I'll make at least one with a aspherical lens in the front. The max current is 7A.

Vinz, Can you do a single with a tightly focused beam that will fit in my Surefire M2? I'm looking for a single ultra-high output drop-in that will have very little spill - imagine a cone of light where things not in the cone stay in the dark.
A hard driven XM-L2 and a 25.5mm plain TIR could fit your needs. I should have time for such custom projects in around 3-4 months. But only if no one is interested in "Mjölnir". :)

BTW, following a few pictures of my latest High-CRI "Mule" drop-in, with a high optical grade lens onto the original dome that collects almost all the light coming from the LED.

MD26E-FL-1_zps02d966e1.jpg

MD26E-FL-2_zpsacad4685.jpg

Same as above, just with flash to show how the surface of an unused drop-in looks like.
MD26E-FL-Blitz_zps9397ad1f.jpg

MD26E-FL-3_zps9297900c.jpg

Different drop-in with blue GITD around the LED.
MD26E-FLF-02_zpsd9bfd42f.jpg

MD26E-FLF-01_zpsc515b52e.jpg

MD26E-FLF-03_zpsdbc5e215.jpg

Regards,

Vinz

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ I love seeing all of the work you do, Vinz. You make spectacular items! I can't wait to get my hands on one (or two... or three) modules and/or lights from you some day!

Vinz

Newly Enlightened
After some different orders from across the world with blemished or slightly scratched quad optics, finally I was able to get some flawless ones in the original blister packaging. :)

Optiken_zps87567fbb.jpg

Here's the result:

Quad 219 (High-CRI) and XP-G2 in "4000K, Outdoor White" (new version with smaller dome) on top, Triple 219, XP-G2 and XP-E (red) below. The mule and the single optic one on the sides are with color XM-L (RGBW).
Uumlbersicht-Quad-Triple_zpsc4448cb6.jpg

Uumlbersicht-Quad-Triple2_zps8d715e14.jpg

The Quads are up to the LEDs completely diamond potted.
Uumlbersicht-Quad-Triple3_zpsd5135c91.jpg

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Looks phenomenal! What Diamond material are you using to pot with? Is it mixed with any adhesive?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

easilyled

Flashaholic
Flawless craftsmanship, as usual. I'm also interested to know about these:-

'XP-G2 in "4000K, Outdoor White" (new version with smaller dome)'

Have these XP-G2s only come out recently and how does the smaller dome affect the throw on them?

Vinz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! :)

Looks phenomenal! What Diamond material are you using to pot with? Is it mixed with any adhesive?

It's a own made 4K diamond thermal adhisive with 85% (by weight) 1-3µm diamond crystals for the LED PCBs, and a slightly different mixture with around 70-75% 1-40µm diamond crystal for potting the electronic.

Flawless craftsmanship, as usual. I'm also interested to know about these:-

'XP-G2 in "4000K, Outdoor White" (new version with smaller dome)'

Have these XP-G2s only come out recently and how does the smaller dome affect the throw on them?

They were produced around 4-5 weeks ago. I was able to get roughly over 100 pieces. But not sure if this High-CRI binning will be available for the public.

Following a comparison between the "old" XP-G2 and the new one. There are also no visible holes on the DIE (great for asphericals), compared to the older one. I haven't compared the viewing angles yet, but it seems that the new ones are emitting slightly more light at the center.
XP-G2-Vergleich_zps281f8763.jpg

Last edited:

Alje

Newly Enlightened
One word, Sweet!
What PCB are you using for the triple de domed XML2 ?

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, over 100 pieces of the newer XP-G2 sounds like a dream. Looking forward to an opportunity to obtain one.

Edit: Of course putting them in a quad reduces the number of dropins produced by at least 4...(laughing at myself)

Last edited:

Vinz

Newly Enlightened
One word, Sweet!
What PCB are you using for the triple de domed XML2 ?

I used such a MCPCB - copper core compination in the old Triple XM-L.
MD26E-Tri-XM-L-PCB-04_zps554a2e15.gif

But in the new ones, the XM-L2 LEDs will be directly soldered onto a CNC milled copper core.

Following two pictures of the completed module.

MD26E-Tri-XM-L02_zpsf4977c3d.jpg

MD26E-Tri-XM-L03_zpsb1298896.jpg

The new ones will also have silver plated beryllium copper springs.

Wow, over 100 pieces of the newer XP-G2 sounds like a dream. Looking forward to an opportunity to obtain one.

Edit: Of course putting them in a quad reduces the number of dropins produced by at least 4...(laughing at myself)

I should still have 2-3 pieces to spare. Just shoot me a PN if you are interested.

easilyled

Flashaholic
These are remarkable looking drop-ins Vinz. Almost too beautiful to be hidden inside the head of a P60 host.
Its great to see how much pride you rightly take in such immaculate work.
I'd love to own one :)

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are remarkable looking drop-ins Vinz. Almost too beautiful to be hidden inside the head of a P60 host.
Its great to see how much pride you rightly take in such immaculate work.
I'd love to own one :)
That is a really good point Daniel. They are works of art! I'd love to own one as well.