Methods for finding lost flashlight in creek? UPDATE: Found!

jlomein

Enlightened
I had a Surefire e1e with a nice Valeno neutral tint drop in. I watched it fall out of my pocket and into a rushing creek while hiking a couple days ago. I went in and searched for it, but the rushing water made visual searching impossible and I couldn't find it by touch.

Below is a photo, with the area I dropped it circled. I believe the light sank straight down, and didn't float downstream. In the circled area the water varies from 4-8 inches deep. I'd want to search an area about 3 feet in diameter.

My idea is to bring my P2X Fury to light up underwater, and then use a plastic transparent jar/tub and half submerge it into the creek which will hopefully allow me to see the creek bottom through the jar/tub.

I've considered using a very strong magnet to comb over the creek bottom, but I don't have one strong enough that will magnetically attract the battery inside the aluminum flashlight body.

Are there any other ideas? Perhaps is there some sort of material I can use to temporarily block the flow of water streaming over that area?

IMG_20130408_175126_zpsa3e6c015.jpg

Last edited:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Methods for finding lost flashlight in creek?

You can restack rock to divert the flow. Or us a metal detector to help pinpoint.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Bummer to lose such a nice light. I might still try a magnet on a string. Even if it's not strong enough to pull up the light you might get a "bite" that shows where it lurks. Using a jar/tub as a viewer sounds good, too.

Good luck.

Geoff

jlomein

Enlightened

You can restack rock to divert the flow. Or us a metal detector to help pinpoint.

Good idea, I guess the best material for diverting water would be more rocks. I thought about a metal detector, but I don't know how complicated they are to operate, they're expensive (craigslist shows them starting locally at $400), and I have no idea if they detect aluminum.

I have a very strong industrial magnet that makes rock solid bonds with small steel objects, but works terribly with an aluminum flashlight with a magnetic battery inside. It would be useless in this case, unless I can find astronger magnet.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you could find a local metal detecting club someone would probably help you. We generally are a helpful bunch.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

wordwalker3

Newly Enlightened

Check with Police dept to see if they have a handheld metal dectector that will pick up a small flashlight. You may get a volunteer to help you look. If you have to go old school, 1. sand bags upstream to divert water, 2. rectangular baitfish net a bit downstream in concave semicircle with bottom edge securely anchored to streambed, 4. start at point of splashdown working wider as you move downstream, move the rocks like you're looking for gold. When you find it, or give up...put the rocks back. 5 don't forget to check the net...just in case you get lucky. I don't think there's gonna be an easy way. Get in there , get it back, and make a paracord lanyard.
Boyd

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a metal detector, but my first thought would be to use a small fishing net with a long handle like the type we used as kids for catching frogs.

Trevtrain

Enlightened

Geniunely not trying to be a smartarse, but a 3 foot circle of water 4-8 inches deep? And you couldn't find it by touch?
My guess is that it is no longer there.

Looking through a jar (or swimming googles) sounds like what I'd try next but I'd be thinking that it has in fact washed downstream. It's really hard to tell from your photo but with fast moving water, a small object can easily be washed along the bottom until it jams under something like a rock. Unfortunately, that could be quite a distance.

If possible, try to search the bottom in the direction of water flow. You may get lucky. It would be a shame to lose such a lovely little light.

Hope it works out for you; be sure to let us know the outcome.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Methods for finding lost flashlight in creek?

Also consider the surrounding area other than the obvious spot. If the light lands on rock and bounces away, then you need to look further.

wedlpine

Enlightened

If you know the exact spot if fell, squirt some food coloring in that area and see where the water takes it. It might tell you where your flashlight went.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Use the strong magnet, it will attract the clip of the light, also look downstream and between the rocks, light underwater from diferent angles maybe the light will hit the reflector and become visible, good luck!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast

I took my E1e out of storage and found it easy to lift with a very strong magnet I bought on ebay. Weaker magnets lifted it easily, but in a rushing creek it would take a strong magnet. I would begin the search as soon as you can and work your way from the target area downstream. It could be worse: I once saw a man bring his boat to a plane in Yellowstone Lake and the motor jumped off the transom and sank! I guess he didn't tighten the clamps! Good luck!

jlomein

Enlightened

I FOUND IT!!!

Thanks for all the help guys. Building a dam with rocks was actually quite an effective method. I was able to get the water calm enough to see through, and using my P2X Fury the entire rockbed was lit up.

After being under almost a foot of water for a week I was surprised that it still worked. Lubricated o-ring seals held up fine, no water got inside.

IMG_20130409_183010_zpsac620054.jpg