MG PLI MC-E *review + beamshots*

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phew! Mine shipped Wednesday, I almost missed this for a third time. I kept procrastinating ordering, and could not get one with my L-Mini II's, and then missed the second batch too. This time I finally jumped on two of these. I am hoping I can replace two standard 18650 Cree lights on my bike bars with one of these. Hopefully I will get to try it out this weekend, Monday for sure.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I really like the MC-E bin. I wish I had a P7 to compare it to.

Anybody ever try to see how long they could use their MG PLI on high?

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river
As expected, my MG PLI Cree MC-E arrived in the mail today from Shining Beam.

Little disappointed that there were no operating instructions, warranty papers, or retail box included - just a bubble mailer containing the MG PLI Cree MC-E flashlight and a small zip-lock packet containing the additional tactical switch, lanyard, 3 O-rings, green G.I.D switch boot, and a .7835 O.D x .4115 I.D x .060 thick washer.

When I first powered it on, it had 5 modes: Low > Mid > High > Strobe > SOS (and what seemed like an extended runtime locater beacon slow flash 6th mode), however a few minutes later all I get are 3 modes: Low > Mid > High.

Anyone know how to activate all 5 or 6 modes?

apontes

Newly Enlightened
Err... What 5/6 modes?

The PLI has only 3 modes (low > med > high).

recDNA

Flashaholic
As expected, my MG PLI Cree MC-E arrived in the mail today from Shining Beam.

Little disappointed that there were no operating instructions, warranty papers, or retail box included - just a bubble mailer containing the MG PLI Cree MC-E flashlight and a small zip-lock packet containing the additional tactical switch, lanyard, 3 O-rings, green G.I.D switch boot, and a .7835 O.D x .4115 I.D x .060 thick washer.

When I first powered it on, it had 5 modes: Low > Mid > High > Strobe > SOS (and what seemed like an extended runtime locater beacon slow flash 6th mode), however a few minutes later all I get are 3 modes: Low > Mid > High.

Anyone know how to activate all 5 or 6 modes?
\
If I were you I'd email Bryan at Shiningbeam.

It's funny, Bryan and I recently exchanged emails in which I asked he do a limited run with strobe included (I don't want the SOS or Flash). ANyway, he told me the modes WERE once in the PLI but they annoyed people so he had them removed. The fact you accessed them albeit only once is weird. Be sure to post your answer because I would love to access strobe. My PLI only had low-med-hi since day 1.

If you would be interested in a PLI with those modes be sure to tell him. He's thinking of doing one run of PLI's with strobe. I know I'd want one. I wish he could do the same UI as Olight T20 where you rotate the bezel to get strobe.

The key question is how do you like all that light from a nice small flashlight for $57!

Last edited:

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river
Err... What 5/6 modes?

The PLI has only 3 modes (low > med > high).

Actually, there are 3-mode and 5-mode versions of the MG PLI MC-E. See below quote from: http://cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2308565&postcount=30

Hi Guys,
I have two 5-mode PLI available. It uses same circuit board as the 3-mode, but with the SOS and Strobe enabled. If anyone is interested please let me know. The price is $53.

I also have one with only 1 mode (high), I think when they try to customize the 5 mode into 3, they accidentally turn off the low and medium modes as well. This one will only be selling for $40.

You can Paypal directly to me at [email protected].
Shipping fee is $5.95 for international, and $2.75 for domestic. With the exception of Canada, which is $2.95.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody ever try to see how long they could use their MG PLI on high?

Yeah, I got ~60min on an AW 18650.

When I'm cycling with it though my run-time is much longer, infact i've never had to swap out a cell during a ride. Medium and even low are often enough. And then, being a flashaholic, there are times when put it on high and I light up my 'back-up' p7 too:D

By the way recDNA, I'm glad you finally got one of these. I've been reading you debating it for sooo loooong.

Best,
Linger

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yeah, I got ~60min on an AW 18650.

When I'm cycling with it though my run-time is much longer, infact i've never had to swap out a cell during a ride. Medium and even low are often enough. And then, being a flashaholic, there are times when put it on high and I light up my 'back-up' p7 too:D

By the way recDNA, I'm glad you finally got one of these. I've been reading you debating it for sooo loooong.

Best,
Linger

Thanks

I'll probably buy another one too.

I'm also curious what the longest anybody has gone on primaries (CR123) (shh) even though we're not spose to..

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks

I'll probably buy another one too.

I'm also curious what the longest anybody has gone on primaries (CR123) (shh) even though we're not spose to..

Voids your warranty tho ............

Bryan told you there is a time limit.

You should get 18650's for long runs.

recDNA

Flashaholic

Voids your warranty tho ............

Bryan told you there is a time limit.

You should get 18650's for long runs.

True, but I still wonder what the longest anybody has tried. I'm not recommending they go out and burn out their MG. I don't NEED to go over 10 minutes on high with mine. I'm just curious. It seems like lots of people here "break the rules". I doubt the Surefire warranty holds up when you put a P60 drop in in it either!

I MAY purchase a couple of 18650's and a charger the next time I buy a flashlight that requires them. I don't use my flashlight for a living. I just play with them and use them to find things. The cost of rechargeables and a charger would never be recouped at the rate I use batteries.

Until 18650's and chargers become safe enough so that retailers like Radio Shack or Batteries Plus are willing to carry them I am reluctant to bother with them. Even the low risk of a problem is a greater risk than I have any reason to bear.

Currently my MG PLI is in my car and it is my understanding that the high temps in summer can compromise even AW brand rechargeables. In one of the theads in the battery section a poster mentioned that the heat had caused the voltage of his AW Li-Ion to drop to 0 volts (scratch $16)! My Energizer Lithiums are supposed to have great shelf life up to 140 degrees. Shelf life is really the most important factor for me since I use my flashlights so little.

Funny, recently I shined my MG PLI for about 3 minutes on high in a Multiplex parking lot to check out the throw. Nothing but woods on the other side which had to be 300 yards away...and a police car pulled up to see what I was doing! I mean THREE MINUTES! Another poster mentioned it took the police 2 days to investigate a break in at his home but the police are right on the case when somebody shines a flashlight in an empty parking lot! No chance to void my warranty with the constabulary on the job.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cost of rechargeables and a charger would never be recouped at the rate I use batteries.

yeah, but if you had rechargables you'd use it so much more often.
When I got my first 16340 flashlight (and also my first 16340 cell) I ran through a full cycle every night, made excuses to go walk the dog

jahxman

Enlightened
When I got my first 16340 flashlight (and also my first 16340 cell) I ran through a full cycle every night, made excuses to go walk the dog
So true - with rechargeables it's almost free lumens. When I have primaries in the light I'm always in the back of my mind aware that when that battery is spent it's done; with the rechargables I can shine my lights all I want, and it's no problem, just charge 'em up again, which costs almost nothing in electricity.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was/still am out of town, and it appears I missed this batch as well. Perhaps the new batch will be even better!

recDNA

Flashaholic

I don't walk my cat.

My fish freak out when I use the PLI in the playroom in the dark.

My neighbors freak out when I use it in the woods behind my house.

The police freak out when I use it in theater parking lot...or at least they tell me to cut it out.

I'd have to go to Yellowstone to use my MG PLI more often.

When charger/18650 combos are cheap AND safe I'll get one. Heck, it costs more for one AW 18650 and a Pila than it cost for the MG PLI!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know the best way to get the head off mine has a milky residue on the inside of lens and I would like to try and get the donut out of the hotspot like you use to be able to do on the older batch.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know the best way to get the head off mine has a milky residue on the inside of lens and I would like to try and get the donut out of the hotspot like you use to be able to do on the older batch.

Bryan said to bang the head hard. :crackup: