MG PLI MC-E *review + beamshots*

litetube

Enlightened
Well there you have it. There are Li-Ion batteries in our cell phones/laptops/ipods etc etc etc. Those occasionally blow up also.
You are correct that sooner or later you will forget and leave the batteries on the charger and plugged in overnite or something, I have a cpl times myself. Could it have caused a problem? maybe. You may also get into an accident in your car (God forbid) in fact the chances you will get hurt in your car are exponentially greater than the chance a li-ion battery will explode and burn your house down. You probably have a bettere chance of getting hit by lightning. So there have been a cpl stories on CPF about batteries venting and such, google/search youtube for cellphone explosions and see what you find. Dont let it get you skewed way out of porportion. Use your head and a decent charger and you will be fine.

If you worry about everything like this you wont leave your house in fear .
I bet you will get in your car tomorrow to go to work even if I tell you I have been in 6 motorvehicle accidents in my life. Thats SIX TIMES in less than 50 years. How crazy dangerous is THAT!!!:sssh:

DM51

Flashaholic
The thread is veering rather off topic here with the discussion about Li-Ion safety issues. The dangers discussed above are greatly exaggerated - incidents with Li-Ion cells are very rare and only occur when there has been serious and reckless abuse of the cells.

Now back on topic, please.

recDNA

Flashaholic
AND I'M STILL EXCITED ABOUT MY MG PLI! Maybe it will come tomorrow!

I'm under the same time restraint on turbo in my Fenix TK40 and I've yet to need it on turbo for more than 15 minutes anyway.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry about it; hundreds of thousands of people charge lithium ion batteries of some kind every single day, and very few "explode." I would say that this belongs in the batter/electronics section, but you are already having a few discussions about this there.

If you want maximum runtime with a high output light like this, then you want the highest capacity batteries, which are 18650s. CR123s probably have just as much chance of being dangerous as a protected cell charging in a PILA IBC.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well I certainly have food for thought....

I missed the chance last time MG Pli was available. I'm glad I'm in on it this time. Nice to have the tactical clicky already installed.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The thread is veering rather off topic here with the discussion about Li-Ion safety issues. The dangers discussed above are greatly exaggerated - incidents with Li-Ion cells are very rare and only occur when there has been serious and reckless abuse of the cells.

Now back on topic, please.

Sorry, I tend to write in stream of consciousness. I edited some of my content to get it back on topic. If I had the option of deleting my own posts sometimes I would!

DM51

Flashaholic
Sorry, I tend to write in stream of consciousness. I edited some of my content to get it back on topic. If I had the option of deleting my own posts sometimes I would!
Just before I had to log off last night, I saw the content of that post before you edited it; and actually I rather wish you had left it there unchanged, as it was quite good. It did belong in the Batteries section, but despite that it made some good points which deserved answers...

If you can recall what you said there, it would certainly have a useful place in the Batteries section.

litetube

Enlightened
I could not resist and have one on the way myself. I will be using 18650 in this with primaries being for backup only and know I wont be getting 700lumens off 3.7volts but even if I get 400lumens on high regulated for 1hr I will be happy for now. Though I really cant get excited about the looks of this light, the performance/dollar value are what sold me. Circuitry is now becoming more important than window dressing for me it seems now.

I am thinking the warning about limiting high to 10-15 mins when using 2 primaries is similar to Fenix always warnings. I dont think I would leave it tailstanding on high /primaries for extended periods but holding the light and being active ie. walking/moving around it will probably get quite warm but be ok. This is all unproven opinion of course.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Received my MG PLI right on time with the tactical clicky installed as I requested. It's every bit as bright as I hoped. The low is low enough to use in the pitch dark as I hoped. Exactly as advertised and reviewed in this thread.

On primaries it does warm up on high but never got too hot to hold. I shut it off at 10 minutes to make sure I wasn't risking damage to the LED.

Last edited:

konut

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup: Ordered 7/14, sent 7/15, recieved 7/17. A PLI, 2-2500mAh 18650s, and a charger for, with CPF discount and shipping, $84.14. Works perfectly, and with a loosening half turn of the head, no donut. The perfect wide spill bike light I've been waiting for. Thanks Bryan! :wave: And just to contribute SOMETHING not commented on before, the torch with battery weighs 163 g.

recDNA

Flashaholic
:thumbsup: Ordered 7/14, sent 7/15, recieved 7/17. A PLI, 2-2500mAh 18650s, and a charger for, with CPF discount and shipping, $84.14. Works perfectly, and with a loosening half turn of the head, no donut. The perfect wide spill bike light I've been waiting for. Thanks Bryan! :wave: And just to contribute SOMETHING not commented on before, the torch with battery weighs 163 g.

I had to untwist the head a little as well for the same reason.

What kind of charger did you buy?

Darn, when I bought the MG PLI I searched "batteries" and got no answer so I didn't think Bryan sold them. After reading this I went back and searched "battery" (singular) and I found Trustfires and a charger. I would have bought the batteries and charger and saved the extra shipping charge had I noticed them on Bryan's website. (I don't know if I can say the name of the website here without getting in trouble with the moderators.)

Last edited:

konut

Newly Enlightened
This one
HXY Digial Li-Ion Battery Charger for 18650 and 17670 listed on Shiningbeams site.
It did take a bit of searching to find it.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I told him before , he needs to make batteries and chargers more obvious on his site , if he intends to sell them.

There needs to be a catagorie for them on the left column.

The list on the left should include ALL items available.

Oh well ....................................

recDNA

Flashaholic
I told him before , he needs to make batteries and chargers more obvious on his site , if he intends to sell them.

There needs to be a catagorie for them on the left column.

The list on the left should include ALL items available.

Oh well ....................................

Ya, too bad (for me). Shipping is expensive when only buying one or two batteries but probably would have been very low cost when added to my previous order.

The PLI is the only flashlight I have that requires 18650's so one Trustfire or AW is probably all I would buy. Picking out a charger is another kettle of fish. I hate to spend $50 on a charger but want to be safe.

Do you have a PLI?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes I do have a PLI..... and recommend them.

Ever use it with primaries? I wonder how long people have run it with primaries on high without problems.

I know the TK40 is also supposed to only be used on turbo for 15 minutes but folks have gone much longer without problems.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh ...... I thought you were asking if I had a PLI charger ... which I do.

I do not have a PLI light ..... as of yet .

Plan on getting one soon.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Oh ...... I thought you were asking if I had a PLI charger ... which I do.

I do not have a PLI light ..... as of yet .

Plan on getting one soon.

Did we ever discuss the PLI charger in the battery forum? SO many discussions about chargers I've forgotten the PLI charger...if I ever heard of it in the first place.