Modern Technology and times

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it will cook food more natural with the inverter. Glad you got yours fixed Lynx Arc. We still have ours and don't know what to do with it. Bought in 2016 and died that year. I've wanted one for years before that.

Wow bykfixer, never had a coffee maker go out on me that fast. Mine would eventually stop up with calcium deposits and we had to run vinegar through it to clean it out. Could it have been your water supply at the time? Did they drill a new well?

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Poppy, on those older overhead valve engines like the pinto- the only lubrication they get up there (I think) at the cam and tappets comes from splash lubrication from the timing chain in the front. That's why if you leave the oil cap off a lot of oil will come out while it's running. Don't know about toyotas, but datson and the older nissans did it that way, but their engines lasted longer. I still wouldn't mind having a pinto station wagon with a nice set of craiger wheels on it- deep dish on the back.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Not to change the subject at hand too much, but people quit posting anyway.

On another thread we were talking about electronic controls on appliances. I know they are convenient, but they aren't durable.

You might get 5-7 years out of them if that. The older style with the analog twist knobs lasted 20+ years. There are some still going from the 1940s.

I think high tech has taken a step backwards as far as quality and longetivity is concerned. Everything is just disposable at some point.
As a person who has designed electronics for a living, I can tell you that if designed correctly, they're typically the most reliable part of something. Designed correctly means protecting from surges/spikes (if applicable), as well as using the proper parts for the environment. I learned for example when designing LED drivers for an automotive environment that most electrolytic capacitors can't handle the heat. There was also the issue of ESR. Too high an ESR can cause a cap to heat up and fail. So I went with solid polymer caps. Anyway, bottom line is I have electronic things I slapped together well over a decade ago running continuously and still working fine. That includes an LED driver which has been driving an old school Luxeon LED since 2004. The LED is still putting out light by the way. I'd say it's maybe at 50% to 60% of its initial brightness after ~150,000 hours. I have a vacuum fluorescent display alarm clock/radio I've had on continuously since 1978. Still working fine, and the display is still plenty bright. That's roughly 375,000 hours. Bottom line is properly designed electronics last decades, possibly even centuries. Granted, the more complex an electronic device is, the more potential points of failure. However, consider how enormously complex modern PCs are, and how infrequently they fail despite that. And when they do fail, it's not the complex electronics usually. It's something having to do with power. Two weeks ago when I was watching the Tour de France my cable box stopped. I looked inside through the vents, noticed a slightly bulging capacitor on what appeared to be the power supply. I opened it up, replaced the cap with a better one rated at twice the voltage. Crossed my fingers, reconnected it. Bingo. Works fine. And this cable box is basically a computer system in its own right. It's entirely possible someone intentionally used a cap in the power supply with they knew had a certain probability of failure after a certain number of hours. Usually the goal would be to have 99% of the devices last past the warranty period, but have 0% make it to maybe twice the warranty period. Planned obsolescence. The good thing though is with environmentalism taking hold this sort of thing may be coming to an end. That and "right to repair" legislation, which makes it easier to fix things instead of throwing them away. In my case a bad cable box wouldn't have cost me anything since I'm renting it from the cable company. It would have required the hassle of arranging a service call, and having a stranger enter the house in the middle of a pandemic (something I'd be very hesitant to do as I'm still on "covid lockdown").

Analog things break, believe me. I'm still using a 1973 washing machine. It's been reliable, but we have replaced the timer twice I think. The lid switch stopped working ages ago but it failed in a permanently closed position. I can open the lid and the machine keeps going.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Yes, it will cook food more natural with the inverter. Glad you got yours fixed Lynx Arc. We still have ours and don't know what to do with it. Bought in 2016 and died that year. I've wanted one for years before that.
Still thinking about an inverter microwave. I'm intrigued by the concept. I'll just look for one with good reviews.

The fridge I got in December 2017 has a linear inverter compressor. Haven't had any problems with it. I might get an inverter A/C for the living room if I can get a good end of season sale. The concept of throttling down the compressor, instead of turning it on and off, to maintain temperature makes a lot of sense.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobra used to have some good cb's when they were made by dynoscan corporation in Taiwan and the Philippians. The cobra 29 and 25 made in the phillippeans were sought after because the audio was better.

Uniden, which owns cobra electronics, wanted to make more money off of them without going up on the price. They chose to let china build them.

China used cheaper resistors and it caused them to go belly up in a short time. The problem has been corrected probably over 16 years ago, but it might have hurt their reputation.

I heard bean counters at companies cheapen parts till they break and go a step above that so stuff will last a little while.

Is there another brand that makes inverter microwaves? I didn't know other things had an inverter.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Y'all ain't going to believe this, but my drier just went out on me yesterday. The light comes on inside so it's getting juice. I hope it's the safety switch for the door, not the timer or motor. Thanks to a couple of youtube videos I can take it apart and test things.

Last edited:
Y'all ain't going to believe this, but my drier just went out on me yesterday. The light comes on inside so it's getting juice. I hope it's the safety switch for the door, not the timer or motor. Thanks to a couple of youtube videos I can take it apart and test things.

Hi Mike,

I believe the light is powered by only one leg of the plug, (110v). It would be a good idea to verify you have both legs supplying power so the drier is receiving the needed 220v. I had this issue many years ago. It was most difficult to diagnose.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had one years back that the light bulb lit yet the dryer would not run. Tested everything it all checked out.
Turned out the second breaker in my breaker box was not assembled correctly and one wire was loose enough to cause erratic contact. Shut off the main, tightened down the wire and viola……let there be dryer.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
In the early 2000s I was working with a lot of equipment that had 220v connectors on it, so I rigged up a tester using two 120v night light bulbs wired to the plug. It made quick work of testing for power issues.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Cobra used to have some good cb's when they were made by dynoscan corporation in Taiwan and the Philippians. The cobra 29 and 25 made in the phillippeans were sought after because the audio was better.

Uniden, which owns cobra electronics, wanted to make more money off of them without going up on the price. They chose to let china build them.

China used cheaper resistors and it caused them to go belly up in a short time. The problem has been corrected probably over 16 years ago, but it might have hurt their reputation.

I heard bean counters at companies cheapen parts till they break and go a step above that so stuff will last a little while.

Is there another brand that makes inverter microwaves? I didn't know other things had an inverter.

I have an old Cobra 29GTL I haven't used is over 20 years. Panasonic is the only company I know of that makes inverter microwave ovens.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old Cobra 29GTL I haven't used is over 20 years. Panasonic is the only company I know of that makes inverter microwave ovens.
I was thinking that panasonic was the only one. That's a good cb Lynx Arc. I bet that one was made in the Philippines. The ones made there can have a super mod kit installed in them and it will make it sound like you was talking on a big expensive radio. I like cobra and uniden products. Uniden is like a cadillac cobra. I like the analog models, but I don't know if you can still buy them. All (I think) come with mosfet(sp?) finals now.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Mine has been modded for more modulation and has a power mic on it. I once had a entire base station setup with a Colt 1000 and a TUP9 microphone I bought new but got out of CB radio entirely I still have 1 antenna and 2 radios. CB is all but dead now and I still have my license when they used to require one. The internet pretty much helped the downfall of CB with IRC chat and instant messaging clients and cell phones unless we have a worldwide outage akin to an apocalypse no need for such.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
They still talk and shoot skip around here and there was a person recording it and putting it up on youtube. I forget the title to the videos.....something gate.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one years back that the light bulb lit yet the dryer would not run. Tested everything it all checked out.
Turned out the second breaker in my breaker box was not assembled correctly and one wire was loose enough to cause erratic contact. Shut off the main, tightened down the wire and viola……let there be dryer.

Strange how the overhead light started working again about the same time the drier quit. I tightened everything in the fuse box real good a few years back. The door switch must be working because when I shut the door the timer starts. Could be the push/starter switch in the timer or a bad motor. The tub freely spins when I spin it, so the motor must not be locked up.

I better make sure I'm getting a full 220 volts at the plug first off before I do anything else.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the motor doesn't come on. When I rotate the tumbler and change directions quickly the belt squeaks a little. It's going to need all three pullies and a belt when I figure out why it ain't starting.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Today a young coworker chuckled at my portable music system saying "I can't believe you still use that old mp3 player". I have an Anker bluetooth radio transmitter sending signals to my Bose wireless noise cancelling ear buds from a Sansa Fuze mp3 player. He says "you should use a streaming service". So I asked "can you download from that"? He said "uh, I'm not sure". I said "can you play whatever songs you want to hear in whatever order you want them in?" He said "um, I don't think so, unless you create a playlist"……I said "and do you pay for the priveledge of this internet streaming service?" He chuckled and says "of course you do."

I replied "well on my laptop I have almost a terrabyte of music from over 1000 cd's I already paid for and have windows media player playlists that play music back to back in the order I chose for up to 96 hours non stop." "And with the Sansa I just drag and drop those then listen to whateverthe**** I wanna hear day after day, week after week, month after month and if iPlayer or whatever suddenly goes down or the North Koreans murder the US internet I can still listen to whateverthe**** I wanna listen to while your generation listens to static."

He replied "I still can't believe you get your music from that old thing"……
I'm trying to train these youngsters how to live internet free and still enjoy the modern conveniences but it's as if I'm trying to explain madness to a crazy man.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
When I went to buy a new phone, the guy at the shop was like "why do you need so much memory on a phone?" I said because I have a lot of music. He also asked why not stream music. Well, because that will drain my battery much more rapidly than playing music that's saved, and if I don't have a signal I can't play anything, and I have to pay for that music when I've already paid for all these albums and all this music. Plus I record it all in lossless quality.
Totally agree.