Need advice on replacing old incandescent bulb with an LED

wosser

Newly Enlightened
I may get into some modding, but right now I kinda like the idea of non-permanent mads for old lights. That and I don't have much knowledge or patience for working with electronics. I have got pretty good at 3D printing simple battery adapters to run things like 14500's and 16340's in 18650 lights and 18650's in D and C cell lights and a 9 Volt to 2D adapter for my Nite Ized Fulton moonbeam. I have been thinking about coming up with a more complex 4.5V 3R12 adapter for the old military lanterns but would like to use something better than the contact strips of the original batteries, as these seem not to have worked all that well originally, as shown in this YT vid:

I do quite a lot of 3D printing these days too. Mostly for work but little bits here and there for home stuff. Made a few bits for my torches of course :)

My most recent part lets me mount an i1R onto the hotshoe on my DSLR so I can take pictures of wildlife at night without blowing out the entire scenery and scaring things away.

What 3D design software do you prefer? I've been using Fusion 360 for about a year and I'm finding it very good.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do quite a lot of 3D printing these days too. Mostly for work but little bits here and there for home stuff. Made a few bits for my torches of course :)

My most recent part lets me mount an i1R onto the hotshoe on my DSLR so I can take pictures of wildlife at night without blowing out the entire scenery and scaring things away.

What 3D design software do you prefer? I've been using Fusion 360 for about a year and I'm finding it very good.

So far I have just using tinkercad, pretty easy to use but has a lot of quirks and limitations. Would like to learn something better eventually. How is Fusion 360 for generating threads?

wosser

Newly Enlightened
So far I have just using tinkercad, pretty easy to use but has a lot of quirks and limitations. Would like to learn something better eventually. How is Fusion 360 for generating threads?

Thread usage is very slick to be honest. The most intensive operation I've tried so far is ray-tracing a building I designed.

On my modest PC (quad i7 ht, with nvidia GTX750-TI, 16GB Ram, SSDs up the wazoo), it uses resources very sensibly, all cores utilised evenly.

It makes Solidworks 2014 look a bit wimpy really.

F360 has a free non-commercial licence if you just want to get the hang of things and make hobby items. That does include the CAM and rendering tools btw.

Last edited: