Need advice on replacing old incandescent bulb with an LED

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The variety of these types of lights seems endless and considering that most were made prior to 2000, it is likely that there was not a lot of info on them up on the net.

I saw a Czech light with an interesting brand name stamped on it: "MY DAY"...looks like it runs on either 2 D cells or 2 C's from the pics posted on line. I also saw that the Swiss only started replacing their 4.5V incan lights with a LED 4AA or rechargeable version in 2017.

wosser

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I've seen the Myday lights too. No matter what the design, I am always infuriated by the lack of a datestamp on any one of these lights. I don't like injection molding very much but at least you usually get a month/year stamped into the plastic.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights were never all that high of a priority as far as the military was concerned, just another piece of semi-consumable field gear. In the US, there were often dates on the cardboard packaging, I have never noticed a date stamp on the lights themselves. Specifications called for a manufactures name to be stamped in the one of the circles on the sides of the old angle head lights and a model number in the other circle. Even with the US angle head lights it is difficult to find detailed info on their history and development, there is just not a whole lot of people researching them and posting information about them on the net.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
For some reason it refuses to open the pod bay doors and keeps calling me Dave...

33267990038_c6da22c9dd_c.jpg

😂😂😂😂😂 I got that!!!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The variety of these types of lights seems endless and considering that most were made prior to 2000, it is likely that there was not a lot of info on them up on the net.

I saw a Czech light with an interesting brand name stamped on it: "MY DAY"...looks like it runs on either 2 D cells or 2 C's from the pics posted on line. I also saw that the Swiss only started replacing their 4.5V incan lights with a LED 4AA or rechargeable version in 2017.

I have some of the "MY DAY" lights. I believe they were intended more as marker lights than flashlights with the semi-domed lens but it can be used as a flashlight.Beam quality and output are of course not that fantastic.They are indeed 2D and the switch has a flashing mode. Interestingly the flashing mode only works with the incan bulb,LED drop-ins just stay on constantly. No real markings on the light other than the MY DAY name and volt/amp on the inside.The lights I have are new and don't appear like they have sat in storage for a long time so I think they must be fairly recent manufacture.

Last edited:

wosser

Newly Enlightened
Interestingly the flashing mode only works with the incan bulb,LED drop-ins just stay on constantly.

If the flasher is a bi-metallic strip then the chances are that the LED does not draw enough current to activate the strip far enough to cause flashing. You could put a dummy load in parallel with the LED to raise the current to match that of the incan, then it would flash again. If it's not a bi-metallic strip then I'd be interested in its workings.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the flasher is a bi-metallic strip then the chances are that the LED does not draw enough current to activate the strip far enough to cause flashing. You could put a dummy load in parallel with the LED to raise the current to match that of the incan, then it would flash again. If it's not a bi-metallic strip then I'd be interested in its workings.

The switch assembly is enclosed in a plastic housing inside the light. I'll try to investigate a bit more later today if I have time.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great, Wooser! Thanks for the photo and the nod to 2001... :thumbsup: Terrific how you were able to revive this light and give it new purpose. I wonder if the original owner is still alive... imagine how they'd react if they saw it now. ;)

Good start to this, showing the internals and battery installation. Wooser's Svetlina Light Project.

wosser

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Xevious!

The internals of this light are still a real mess of wires and heatshrink. It rattles a bit if you hold it the wrong way. I think I might go all the way to 11 with this project and 3D print a battery holder and have a PCB manufactured to make the electronics much tidier and smaller. It is remotely possible that I could squeeze in a third 18650 cell. These items could be made available for others to order from the online store directly if anyone else wants to modify their Svetlina in the future.

Not that it really needs another cell mind you, runtimes are as follows (numbers in brackets are PWM duty cycle values):

• 10.5 hours on max power (100%)
  • 27 hours on medium (39%)
  • 110 hours / 4.6 days on low power (9.8%)
  • 918 hours / 38 days on Moonlight mode (1.2%)

That's with a 5200 mAh 3.7 V lithium 1S2P pack.

The duty cycle (brightness) levels were chosen roughly by guessing but they turned out to be a very good set of steps (which makes sense since the are somewhat logarithmic, which suits the human eye's sensitivity to light intensity).

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

Took a look at the switch and didn't see any practical way to access the internals,the gray plastic housing containing the switch "mechanism" is riveted in place. Your explanation seems plausible but I really don't have any technical expertise to offer better insight.The switch does have 2.5V-0.2A in raised letters/numbers.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update on the Swedish light I ordered:

Well, it came and went. It was broken when I got it so I sent it back. Truth is, even if it wasn't broken, the build quality didn't impress me - everything is thin, hard plastic except for the cheap little metal contact strips. Seems to me more like a light from a dollar store than Swedish military equipment. I imagine if these were handed out for field exercises, most of them would be broken by the time they were due to be turned in (one time use/disposable may have been the plan if the replacement cost was low enough?) . If I were issued one, I would keep it for inspections and get something better to use in the field. These are not at all water resistant (there is what appears to be a drain hole in the bottom so it might self bail), the plastic latch and odd plastic spring make it extremely difficult to open the cover to put in the batteries and the whole thing is kind of awkward to hold and use as a flashlight. The switch on mine was not working right but seemed rather flimsy. I can't see anyone actually using the leather strip on the back as a belt loop or to button to a jacket or shirt....maybe it could be rigged up with MOLLE adapter of some sort? A simple metal belt clip on the back would have been much better. While the sliding colored lens are convenient (if not broken or jammed) compared to the old MX991 moonbeams lenses that need to be screwed on and off and are easy to lose in the dark if dropped, I don't think they would be all that good of an idea long term because they are open to getting clogged with mud and sand. I tested the E10 based "2.5V .3A" bulb and it lit up fairly bright and white for only 3 Volts, in fact it was brighter and whiter than a moonbeam bulb I compared it too.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it came and went. It was broken when I got it so I sent it back. Truth is, even if it wasn't broken, the build quality didn't impress me - everything is thin, hard plastic except for the cheap little metal contact strips. Seems to me more like a light from a dollar store than Swedish military equipment. I imagine if these were handed out for field exercises, most of them would be broken by the time they were due to be turned in (one time use/disposable may have been the plan if the replacement cost was low enough?) . If I were issued one, I would keep it for inspections and get something better to use in the field. These are not at all water resistant (there is what appears to be a drain hole in the bottom so it might self bail), the plastic latch and odd plastic spring make it extremely difficult to open the cover to put in the batteries and the whole thing is kind of awkward to hold and use as a flashlight. The switch on mine was not working right but seemed rather flimsy. I can't see anyone actually using the strip on the back as a belt loop or to button to a jacket or shirt....maybe it could be rigged up with MOLLE adapter of some sort? A simple metal belt clip on the back would have been much better. While the sliding colored lens are convenient (if not broken or jammed) compared to the old MX991 moonbeams lenses that need to be screwed on and off and are easy to loose in the dark if dropped, I don't think they would be all that good of an idea long term because they are open to getting clogged with mud and sand. I tested the E10 based "2.5V .3A" bulb and it lit up fairly bright and white for only 3 Volts, in fact it was brighter and whiter than a moonbeam bulb I compared it too.

that is what i thought looking at the picture, i have few such lights, they are all flimsy, the only good one i had was German light from 60s, the more recent they are the more they feel like toys
i moded that german light, for years it was sitting on a shelf, then i stared taking parts from it for different builds, i still have it, but driver, led, tir, battery holder are reused in different lights.

Last edited:

wosser

Newly Enlightened

Well, it came and went. It was broken when I got it so I sent it back. Truth is, even if it wasn't broken, the build quality didn't impress me - everything is thin, hard plastic except for the cheap little metal contact strips. Seems to me more like a light from a dollar store........

All being well you'll get your money back. Given the amount of fun and modding enjoyment I've had from my Svetlina, I'd strongly urge you to hunt for one of them yourself.

The metal ones are not flimsy at all, despite their age. There are hundreds out there just going rusty. Save a Svetlina today!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is what i thought looking at the picture, i have few such lights, they are all flimsy, the only good one i had was German light from 60s, the more recent they are the more they feel like toys
i moded that german light, for years it was sitting on a shelf, then i stared taking parts from it for different builds, i still have it, but driver, led, tir, battery holder are reused in different lights.

Alpg88,

Looks like a cool mod! I guess that even with a good mod that in the end these are not the most useful lights? Kinda makes me wonder why they have remained in use for so long with the military.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
All being well you'll get your money back. Given the amount of fun and modding enjoyment I've had from my Svetlina, I'd strongly urge you to hunt for one of them yourself.

The metal ones are not flimsy at all, despite their age. There are hundreds out there just going rusty. Save a Svetlina today!

I will probably pick one up (or another like it) at some point though I lack the skills for the types of mods that you and Alpg88 have done! The 4.5V battery is a sticking point for me, so I will also have to keep an eye out for an adapter or figure out how to make one.

wosser

Newly Enlightened
I will probably pick one up (or another like it) at some point though I lack the skills for the types of mods that you and Alpg88 have done! The 4.5V battery is a sticking point for me, so I will also have to keep an eye out for an adapter or figure out how to make one.

Here's a link to the LED I ended up using (they do ship outside the UK if that's something you need):
https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=172_358&products_id=3120

It's a great LED and will happily support a wide range of voltage and current options, depending on your taste in warmth and brightness.
I did go to a lot of effort with my mods because I have all the paraphernalia to do so just lying around.
But if you want to just do a simple 18650 --> resistor --> switch --> LED, then that is still a very worthwhile modification to make because these Svetlina-style lights are screaming out for an LED mod.

Mine is enjoying regular use as a bed-side reading lamp, or a mood light to illuminate the stairwell. Lasts for absolutely ages on a full charge of a 5200 mAh twin 18650 cell pack.

It sucks that you got a bum deal, I hope you do try again. :thumbsup:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a link to the LED I ended up using (they do ship outside the UK if that's something you need):
https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=172_358&products_id=3120

It's a great LED and will happily support a wide range of voltage and current options, depending on your taste in warmth and brightness.
I did go to a lot of effort with my mods because I have all the paraphernalia to do so just lying around.
But if you want to just do a simple 18650 --> resistor --> switch --> LED, then that is still a very worthwhile modification to make because these Svetlina-style lights are screaming out for an LED mod.

Mine is enjoying regular use as a bed-side reading lamp, or a mood light to illuminate the stairwell. Lasts for absolutely ages on a full charge of a 5200 mAh twin 18650 cell pack.

It sucks that you got a bum deal, I hope you do try again. :thumbsup:

I may get into some modding, but right now I kinda like the idea of non-permanent mads for old lights. That and I don't have much knowledge or patience for working with electronics. I have got pretty good at 3D printing simple battery adapters to run things like 14500's and 16340's in 18650 lights and 18650's in D and C cell lights and a 9 Volt to 2D adapter for my Nite Ized Fulton moonbeam. I have been thinking about coming up with a more complex 4.5V 3R12 adapter for the old military lanterns but would like to use something better than the contact strips of the original batteries, as these seem not to have worked all that well originally, as shown in this YT vid: