New 200 lumen light at Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
Or is there another thrower of a light in the same or slightly higher price range that's more attractive as a gift, but low-maintenance enough for a regular person? (And isn't this just a re-wording of a thousand other similar questions on this forum?)

By the looks of it, Rayovac Extreme 4W can be the "more attractive" cheap light to try out. It does look sleeker than the Husky, although personally I like the scary look of the Husky.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the quality will improve before they discontinue, I am still looking for the perfect light! I've been exchanging one a week for a month now every time I am in a vicinity of Home Depot, now I have two decent ones, but there's definitely room for improvement.

I doubt that the quality will improve before this model gets dropped.
Does the Home Depot customer service person issuing a refund to you, even write down what you said is wrong with the light? I have returned several to different stores, and NEVER has anyone understood or written down that the switch has a problem or that the LED isn't centered properly. So if a specific quality issue isn't documented, how are they going to address it and improve it. It's my guess that outside of the CPF forum people, this light would not be a hot item at Home Depot. (It certainly doesn't have enough visual appeal to be flying off the shelf to somebody who isn't informed about its virtues.) Among our people here buying it, I would guess the return rate is at least 50%. If you were a Home Depot collecting all these rejects, not understanding whats wrong with them because they do light up, would you continue to bother stocking this item?

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
I doubt that the quality will improve before this model gets dropped.
Does the Home Depot customer service person issuing a refund to you, even write down what you said is wrong with the light? I have returned several to different stores, and NEVER has anyone understood or written down that the switch has a problem or that the LED isn't centered properly. So if a specific quality issue isn't documented, how are they going to address it and improve it. It's my guess that outside of the CPF forum people, this light would not be a hot item at Home Depot. (It certainly doesn't have enough visual appeal to be flying off the shelf to somebody who isn't informed about its virtues.) Among our people here buying it, I would guess the return rate is at least 50%. If you were a Home Depot collecting all these rejects, not understanding whats wrong with them because they do light up, would you continue to bother stocking this item?

Neither Lowes nor Home Depot ever asks me for the reason I am returning anything. I can see how high returns combined with no feedback to manufacturing can lead to the light disappearing. At the same time, I don't think anyone at Husky has any illusions about the issues we deal with as users. So I just hope they keep it around for me to get that one perfect light

litemup

Newly Enlightened
Had a chance to try the husky out tonight. Very bright, with a blueish tint, (didn't look blueish during the day in the house). Great throw, and, plenty of side spill. Should do a very nice job around the house. By the way, it is just about as bright as my 6 D cell LED maglite - I was surprised at that. As stated many times in this thread, the switch is a little hard to press fully, but not impossible to live with. So far, nice light for the money.
Litemup

boss429

Newly Enlightened
Mine cost a lot more than $24.99. They must have been on sale.

FYI-Way back on page 4?5?6? another member told a salesperson everyone else on this board were getting them $24.99 and they gave it to him at that price.

tvman

Newly Enlightened
By the looks of it, Rayovac Extreme 4W can be the "more attractive" cheap light to try out. It does look sleeker than the Husky, although personally I like the scary look of the Husky.

how does the Rayovac 4w 2c Extreme compare to the Taskforce 2c cree? I have only been able to locate the Rayovac 4w at Sears for $35 - not at any local WM's. I like the Taskforce (using Rayovac 2900mah nmh and aa to c adapters with Rayovac hybrids) but I have to use washers and/or grommets or something else or mod the spring(s) to get a good connection (except using the duracell alkies). The RC nipples don't visually look a different size than the duracell alkies but the RC batt circumference appears larger.

Last edited:

boss429

Newly Enlightened
how does the Rayovac 4w 2c Extreme compare to the Taskforce 2c cree? I have only been able to locate the Rayovac 4w at Sears for $35 - not at any local WM's. I like the Taskforce (using Rayovac 2900mah nmh and aa to c adapters with Rayovac hybrids) but I have to use washers and/or grommets or something else or mod the spring(s) to get a good connection (even using the duracell alkies).
Avoid WM's:sick2:!

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Husky came through last night. I got my car stuck in the mud and I had to call AAA to get me out. The guy with the tow truck, when he gets to my car after an hours wait, looks at my car with a cheap Everyready incadescent light having a very feeble beam even at a 3 foot distance. He shakes his head and says, "I don't know if I want to take on this job. I don't know if I want to get my truck stuck in the mud too or get dirty. Maybe I will call and let tripple A send out another service company". I pull out the Husky and light up the entire side of the care including this guy's truck. He says,"WOW", where did you get that? We start talking about the Husky and Home Depot. Soon, he is my friend and decides he will help me.

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
how does the Rayovac 4w 2c Extreme compare to the Taskforce 2c cree? I have only been able to locate the Rayovac 4w at Sears for $35 - not at any local WM's. I like the Taskforce (using Rayovac 2900mah nmh and aa to c adapters with Rayovac hybrids) but I have to use washers and/or grommets or something else or mod the spring(s) to get a good connection (even using the duracell alkies).

Since I am going crazy only on the cheap side for now, I got the Rayovac 4W 3C extreme at K-Mart for $21. If you are interested and have a K-mart available in your area that's closing down, hit them up.

You can find a separate thread on this light around here, but here is my quick take. The Rayovac claims 150 lumens and although I can't verify numbers, it is certainly not as bright as Husky 4W. At the same time, it is without a question a bright light, noticeably brighter than my TaskForce. It also has better LED positioning than the Husky which allows for a very smooth beam. There are no color artifacts in my two Rayovacs as there are in a Husky. Personally, I am still liking the Husky for the pure amount of light, but for people with smaller hands, or that like to have a strap built-in or just picky about smoothness of their beam, the Rayovac works beautifully, especially if you get it on sale!

P.S. I get connection issues on TF sometimes too. Hmm.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Husky came through last night. I got my car stuck in the mud and I had to call AAA to get me out. The guy with the tow truck, when he gets to my car after an hours wait, looks at my car with a cheap Everyready incadescent light having a very feeble beam even at a 3 foot distance. He shakes his head and says, "I don't know if I want to take on this job. I don't know if I want to get my truck stuck in the mud too or get dirty. Maybe I will call and let tripple A send out another service company". I pull out the Husky and light up the entire side of the care including this guy's truck. He says,"WOW", where did you get that? We start talking about the Husky and Home Depot. Soon, he is my friend and decides he will help me.

Huh??????:thinking: What kind of tow truck operator was he? He gets called out to help you, and is afraid to get dirty?????? If he told me that, I would be raising hell with the company he worked for. I am glad he finally decided to do his frickin job!!

Mike

boss429

Newly Enlightened
Huh??????:thinking: What kind of tow truck operator was he? He gets called out to help you, and is afraid to get dirty?????? If he told me that, I would be raising hell with the company he worked for. I am glad he finally decided to do his frickin job!!

Mike
That wrecker driver is the new CPF Beeotch!-LOL:crackup::crackup::crackup:

AA6TZ

Enlightened

The next logical step would be to try this approach with the ladies! :crackup:

-Clive

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mike

The more I thought about this incident, I think this guy was fishing for some extra money on Thanksgiving. He was a AAA contractor not working drirectly for AAA. Had he come out and asked for money, he would have been in serious trouble, were I to have complained to AAA about it. I didn't bite with his "I don't have to take this job". I didn't think to pull out a 10 spot, but I'll bet he was hoping. Perhaps he would have done the job, even without the Husky. I don't think, though, my flashlight and the ensuing discussion hurt.

Duglite

Newly Enlightened
If I were a tow truck driver and I encountered anyone with a Husky, with its seriously lethal-looking bezel, I'd feel pretty much compelled to get dirty and pull the vehicle out of the mud. Heck, I'd pull it out of the Grand Canyon if you waved that bezel in my direction. Assuming I wasn't already blinded by the beam. (Assuming the switch didn't fail and the light actually came on.) :twak:

AA6TZ

Enlightened
If I were a tow truck driver and I encountered anyone with a Husky, with its seriously lethal-looking bezel, I'd feel pretty much compelled to get dirty and pull the vehicle out of the mud. Heck, I'd pull it out of the Grand Canyon if you waved that bezel in my direction. Assuming I wasn't already blinded by the beam. (Assuming the switch didn't fail and the light actually came on.) :twak:

+1 --- What he said! :D :laughing: :D

-Clive

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
FYI-Way back on page 4?5?6? another member told a salesperson everyone else on this board were getting them $24.99 and they gave it to him at that price.
Took mine back to the store and they gave it to me for the correct price of $24.99, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.