New Fenix XM-L flashlights - TK21, TK41 and TK70

recDNA

Flashaholic
I really want to get the TK41......

But I know that it won't be long until Fenix replaces those XPG's with XM-L's in the TK45:grin2:

You just had to put that idea in my head!

I went to Fonarik and selected a comparison (corridor shot) between the Thrunite V3 and the TK70 and although the TK70 had brighter flood it looked like the V3 had more throw. When they do the vault shot of the TK70 that may reveal more. It did say the TK70 was on "high" but I assume that means the highest mode whatever Fenix wants to call it. From that shot it doesn't look like the TK70 would be in the same league as the SR90.

Last edited:

liquidwater

Newly Enlightened
You just had to put that idea in my head!

I went to Fonarik and selected a comparison (corridor shot) between the Thrunite V3 and the TK70 and although the TK70 had brighter flood it looked like the V3 had more throw. When they do the vault shot of the TK70 that may reveal more. It did say the TK70 was on "high" but I assume that means the highest mode whatever Fenix wants to call it. From that shot it doesn't look like the TK70 would be in the same league as the SR90.

well i only mentioned it since in their other fenix beamshots, there is "high" then "turbo" for the max brightness. :p

srfreddy

Enlightened
So? Manufacturer claims are just their wishes. TK21 is floody, noticeably floodier than TK15. Won't reach much more then 100 meters.

There's something out there called ANSI approved independent labs, that fenix sends their lights to to test.

recDNA

Flashaholic
well i only mentioned it since in their other fenix beamshots, there is "high" then "turbo" for the max brightness. :p

You may very well be right! I was just guessing. I mean if I had a TK70 it wouldn't get a chance to drop below it's highest mode for the first month - at least!

liquidwater

Newly Enlightened
i found a pic of the tk70

k640iwa1116.jpg

g.p.

Enlightened
Really? 4 pack of eneloops: 11 bucks+ shipping. AW 2600: 14.75+shipping.
That's what I thought until I found 18650's on Ebay. I have AW's, and yes, they are trhe best. But I have bought several protected 18650's from Ebay, all for less than $10 for two - shipped! - and they have worked great. They all power my hardest driven lights just fine. Capacity is a little less than stated on some of them, but I can buy 6 of them for the same price as one AW shipped.

Plus, the 18650's will be fine with a $10 charger. Rechargeable AA's get memory, so you need a charger that can cycle them. Plus you you'll be charging 8 of them at a time, so you will probably want a second charger (or an 8 bay charger). On top of that they take forever to cycle, so you'll probably want a second set of Enerloops.......

srfreddy

Enlightened
Ah yes, the 2600mah- Newer version of the Hi-Max... their name escapes me. Yes, they are quite good under normal loads. 18650's aren't "fine" with a $10 buck charger- you should really be using a hobby charger, or the 4sevens/pila IBC.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's something out there called ANSI approved independent labs, that fenix sends their lights to to test.
To test brightness, runtime but throw in meters is just recalculated lux number. Useable range is about 100-150m.

srfreddy

Enlightened
To test brightness, runtime but throw in meters is just recalculated lux number. Useable range is about 100-150m.

its the inverse root law to calculate the lux, for ANSI, to .25lux. Which means, on a perfectly clear, moonless night, the flashlight will light up a spot XXX meters away like the full moon was out.

g.p.

Enlightened
Ah yes, the 2600mah- Newer version of the Hi-Max... their name escapes me. Yes, they are quite good under normal loads. 18650's aren't "fine" with a $10 buck charger- you should really be using a hobby charger, or the 4sevens/pila IBC.
I've got several hobby chargers as I'm into large electric RC airplanes. I also have a WF139 charger that I found for under $10 on Ebay. The hobby chargers are much faster, but my WF139 works fine too. It cuts out at 4.18v (nice and safe), and doesn't continue to trickle charge as some do. I have no reservations about using it, but always make sure that I'm around to remove the batteries once charged.....but I do that with my hobby chargers too.

Only problem is that there are several WF139 knock-offs around. Some cut out at 4.2v and above, and some continue to trickle charge. You have to make sure you know what you are buying.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I've got several hobby chargers as I'm into large electric RC airplanes. I also have a WF139 charger that I found for under $10 on Ebay. The hobby chargers are much faster, but my WF139 works fine too. It cuts out at 4.18v (nice and safe), and doesn't continue to trickle charge as some do. I have no reservations about using it, but always make sure that I'm around to remove the batteries once charged.....but I do that with my hobby chargers too.

Only problem is that there are several WF139 knock-offs around. Some cut out at 4.2v and above, and some continue to trickle charge. You have to make sure you know what you are buying.

There's no such thing as an ultrafire knockoff-only inferior variants. :)

g.p.

Enlightened
There's no such thing as an ultrafire knockoff-only inferior variants. :)
Whatever you want to call it. I've got two. One works great....one is dangerous. They are totally different from each other......slightly different color, different lettering, different type of plastic, one has brittle metal battery contacts that break when you try to bend them, one blinks during charging and the other doesn't, etc.......

Still, I love the 18650's after trying them. I swore that I was done with Eneloops......then I saw the TK41.....:hairpull:

r1derbike

Newly Enlightened
Was going to get another TK15 for a spare, to keep in the car, but the TK21 looks like it will be worth the wait, instead.

Keep those posts coming!

EDIT: On second thought, I'm perfectly happy with the flood on my TK-15 (and throw). Will just wait a bit to see if the price on the 15 comes down substantially. That just might swing another 15 purchase, afterall.

Charles

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable AA's get memory, so you need a charger that can cycle them. Plus you you'll be charging 8 of them at a time, so you will probably want a second charger (or an 8 bay charger). On top of that they take forever to cycle, so you'll probably want a second set of Enerloops.......
I'm pretty sure Eneloop's don't have memory effect and don't need a break in cycle (but I give them one to start out just incase).

LeifUK

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure Eneloop's don't have memory effect and don't need a break in cycle (but I give them one to start out just incase).

Astonishing I know, but there other brands of LSD cell too, and they also do not show a memory effect, at least the small sample I tried didn't.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
its the inverse root law to calculate the lux, for ANSI, to .25lux. Which means, on a perfectly clear, moonless night, the flashlight will light up a spot XXX meters away like the full moon was out.
It's just theoretical number, 0.25lux is almost invisible. Useable range for TK15 is 100-150m and TK21 has even less throw.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have to be honest - I'm going to buy a TK41 unless reviewers reveal a big problem (like green tint or mode skipping etc.) but I wouldn't buy a TK70 if it put out 3000 lumens for 100 bucks. Just too big. I'll never understand why they didn't put the batteries in groups of 3 or even 4.

SbFlashLightGuy

Newly Enlightened
I have to be honest - I'm going to buy a TK41 unless reviewers reveal a big problem (like green tint or mode skipping etc.) but I wouldn't buy a TK70 if it put out 3000 lumens for 100 bucks. Just too big. I'll never understand why they didn't put the batteries in groups of 3 or even 4.

Im with you, im going to buy the tk21 and the tk41

recDNA

Flashaholic
I do give Olight credit for coming out with an 18650 option in their M50. I wish Fenix would make a carrier for CR123 or RCR123 or 18650 just to give an alternative to AA. I LIKE AA. I like choices too.