New Inova X1?

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Hi, not to go off topic but I'm looking for a AA LED flashlight and have been looking at the Fenix line (considering the L1P & L2P special at Fenix-store.com) or the Inova X1. Can anyone familiar with both the X1 and L1P give their opinions, Pros & Cons of each, size comparisions, throw, etc??
Much appreciated.

InfidelCastro

Banned
The L1P (1 watt luxeon) will be considerably brighter than the X1 and can run off rechargeables. The runtime of the X1 and the cheapness/availability of alkaline batteries is great though too.

Synergy

Newly Enlightened
The X1 is a good pocket light...slightly brighter than and with a little more throw than my Arc AAA (though doesn't seem as "floody"). Only complaint with the X1 is the momentary-on tailcap - they should have made it a twisty only.:thumbsdow

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I was just doing an informal runtime test on my newer X1 purchased from Target. Using one of the cheapie AA alkalines purchased from Fry's (100 for $12.99). I'm at over 4-hours and going strong. Not bad for a $20 light using a 13-cent battery!

not2bright

Enlightened
NaturalMystic said:
Hi, not to go off topic but I'm looking for a AA LED flashlight and have been looking at the Fenix line (considering the L1P & L2P special at Fenix-store.com) or the Inova X1. Can anyone familiar with both the X1 and L1P give their opinions, Pros & Cons of each, size comparisions, throw, etc??
Much appreciated.

NaturalMystic, I have two Fenix L1P and one of the new X1 with reflector. The L1P are much brighter, have a far greater throw, good white tint, and a bit over 2 hours run time from a 2500 NiMH. Add to this that they are waterproof, have a tail clickie, and can stand in candle mode. I picked up both of mine for less than $31 from 4sevens special offer.

The X1 is a little longer than the L1P, but a bit thinner. It is a close range/indoor light with a bluish cast to the beam. It has a twist switch, nice fit and finish with roughly 8 hours of runtime.

If you are going to use the light outdoors, or need something fairly bright, spring for the L1P. If you are going for long runtime and generally using the light indoors the X1 may fit your needs.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, thanks for the info, it has helped with my decision.
Spongebob, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread but I hope this helps in your decision-making as well. That X1 is a sharp looking flashlight.
Anyhow, back to discussing the Inova.

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info and I am super excited about this. I will stop by and pick one up in the next day or so once I decide on black or titanium which oddly enough my Target has both in stock.

I did do a search but did not come up with anything relevent to the new model. I don't think I have the search lingo down.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
The L1P (1 watt luxeon) will be considerably brighter than the X1 and can run off rechargeables.

Just a quickie, I've always run my X1s from rechargeables, no probs in a couple of years so far, don't know about the new one but it's doing fine on a Calumet 2500mAh with no smoke billowing out thus far! :whistle:

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I've always run my X1s from rechargeables, no probs in a couple of years so far, don't know about the new one but it's doing fine on a Calumet 2500mAh with no smoke billowing out thus far!

Just an FYI. My new style X1 *will not* run on recharageables. Put in a Sanyo 2500, or Powerex 2500, or Tenergy 2300 - nothing! No light.

Just thought I would mention this..

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to recap and confirm, I have only recently got a new X1 (I live in UK!!!) and I've tried it with the aforementioned Calumet 2500mAh rechargeables. It also works as brightly (eye only) with 2300,2000,1800 and even 1300 mAh rechargeables. As do all my old and modded X1's.

I have no idea why some people have found theirs to not work with them??? :thinking:

Good luck though...

InfidelCastro

Banned
cd-card-biz said:
Just an FYI. My new style X1 *will not* run on recharageables. Put in a Sanyo 2500, or Powerex 2500, or Tenergy 2300 - nothing! No light.

Just thought I would mention this..

Mine runs fine on 2500's, but there was one guy who said he burned out two of them in a weeks time or something by using rechargeables. I only tested mine for about 10 seconds.

He said Inova told him NOT to use rechargeables or lithiums.

Apparently the light is set up just to run on alkalines. Which is strange when you consider how many people have rechargeable batteries and will put them in it. Apparently, if this is true, Inova might be replacing alot of X1's.

The 5mm LED appears to be extremely overdriven going by my novice observations.

That's ok for my uses though. It's basically a nightstand, walk around the house at night type light to run on half dead alkalines, like my NightIze Minimag.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thank you to the members who have provided links to the previous Inova X1 threads.

I've just merged a couple more into this main thread.

Carry on...

carrot

Flashaholic
The failure of my new X1 has shaken my confidence in it. I was smacking it bezel-end first against my palm to test the spring action of the piston and it went out on the third smack. I tested a second battery in it that was laying on my desk and it still didn't light.

A third, known good battery (the Gerber-branded one that came with my GIU) was used and BAM it lit up. I don't know what went wrong, but presumably something went wrong with the original battery after the "smack" test.

Kirkland Signature batteries do not work in it now (don't know if they did before) and the included Duracell Ultra does not either. My Amondotech 2400mAh NiMHs do work in it. I am very curious to know as to why it seems to have become picky about battery brands?

Latest posts