*New* JetBeam TCR20 - Oblique or Straight

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
If you like titanium and feel it's "worth" the markup, fine - that's your privilege. But, it's pretty rude of you to arrogantly dismiss my remarks as "non-points". For your information, titanium has on average 1/10th the heat conductivity of aluminum. How can you say that's not an issue? If heat can't effectively conduct to the outside of a device to dissipate it gets hotter. The rest of your remarks are nothing but a statement of personal preference. From a purely functional point of view there is nothing that special about titanium to justify it over steel - especially at such a premium.
These non-points have been brought up in the forums more times than anyone would probably care to guess.

Titanium is very durable, looks good with wear, conducts heat very well if the light is designed to have an output appropriate for the mass of the light itself and when looking at the diameter and contact surfaces of the flashlight, conductance is another complete non-issue.

Polished steel is something different from titanium, and while preferable for some, not a winner with others and the positive aspects of titanium completely justify its usage in high quality lights.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Albert56,

You've been a long time member of CPF, should you not already understand the pros and cons of titanium lights, below are some links (they're just the tip of the iceberg) which can give you a pretty good insight into the topic.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?210564-Titanium-lights-vs-their-Aluminum-Cousins
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...or-Stainless-Steel-LED-Flashlights-Popularity
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336208-Titanium
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?342188-Titanium-18650-light

Should you prefer to further discuss the titanium light topic in general, I trust you'd be more than welcomed in those threads. I think it'll better off for everyone if we only keep the conversation in this thread to be specific to this shiny new light which I am sure many people would be excited about, as we could be bothered to go in this thread.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If you like titanium and feel it's "worth" the markup, fine - that's your privilege. But, it's pretty rude of you to arrogantly dismiss my remarks as "non-points". For your information, titanium has on average 1/10th the heat conductivity of aluminum. How can you say that's not an issue? If heat can't effectively conduct to the outside of a device to dissipate it gets hotter. The rest of your remarks are nothing but a statement of personal preference. From a purely functional point of view there is nothing that special about titanium to justify it over steel - especially at such a premium.
Your points have all been discussed ad infinitum and you wouldn't get replies like mine if didn't make uninformed posts like yours.

Very rude to makers of fine lights like Cool Fall, McGizmo, JetBeam to mention just a few, who understand the whole equation and not just the slightly informative numbers on paper which you mistook to be the whole story, to in essence suggest they know less about light making than you. When you find something you don't understand, it's the place you have the greatest opportunity to learn.

Looking forward to getting one of these lights and while the angled slots look interesting, will definitely be going with the TC-R20.

gunga

Flashaholic
Anyone else have any feedback on the TCR20? I'm very interested but have learned that being first in line rarely works well for me.

:)

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
At first I was excited about this light, then I was disappointed when I thought that it wasn't variable. (I have never seen so much confusion around the specs for this light, what is up with that?). Then I was happy again and finally a :thumbsdow after watching the video on how to turn it on (by turning a small "triangle" of metal) on the back. What is up with that? This completely rules out one-handed operation. Such a shame, nice looking light otherwise.. I don't consider/purchase lights that require more than one hand to turn on..

Note to Jetbeam: Make the same light but with a conventional tail (pushbutton, tactical), please.

gunga

Flashaholic
Oh, please explain? The rear "switch" is odd. I'm hoping it's more for lockout and the standby position has low enough parasitic drain that it's not an issue.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
Oh, please explain? The rear "switch" is odd. I'm hoping it's more for lockout and the standby position has low enough parasitic drain that it's not an issue.

It is for lockout. You can just use the standby position if you want to use it one-handed.

gunga

Flashaholic
Seems really big and heavy.

• Size: Head 28.0mm
  • Lenght: 104mm
  • Weight: 160g (exclude battery)
vs Jetbeam TCR1

• Dimensions: Tube diameter 23mm, Total length 81mm
  • Weight: 67g (without battery)
vs HDS clicky

• Dimensions: Ø 25.4mm x 93mm (Ø 1" x 3.7").
  • Weight: 102g (3.6oz) including battery.
vs Jetbeam RRT0 (or TCR2, except weight of course).

Head diameter 25.4mm, Tube diameter 20.5mm,
Total length 100mm (without extension tube), Total length 116mm (with extension tube).
Weight: 72g

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just watched Light Junctions video and finally understand how it uses 16340 and AA batteries without extra parts. The tube can fit a 17mm cell in diameter, I wonder if it can be bored out for 18mm cells to run a 18350

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
After watching the Light Junction video, they seem to have enough girth to have made them accept a 17670 or even an 18650, the latter would have put these lights at a new level IMHO, a light that can run cr123/rcr123/AA/17670/18650 without any adapters would have had me pulling the trigger straight away. They do look very nice and I still may pull the trigger. :p

Hi Frenchy, I should have known a Ti light would never get past you old friend. :wave:

Last edited:

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
We are sorry to say that we detected a problem with the Jetbeam TCR20/TCR21 batch we received :(

The Jetbeam team is taking care of that and is investigating, for the moment, sales are stopped, we are waiting more news.

Last edited:

RobinGonzo

Newly Enlightened
You know what the problem is? Maybe they could change the switch in this situation ;)

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The standby mode didn't work as expected with 1xRCR123. The LED is still shining in standby mode.
I see this from one seller "*When using a 16340 or 14500 Li-ion rechargeable battery, the emitter glows when the rear switch is on and selector ring is in standby mode " did you turn the rear switch off and check?

gunga

Flashaholic
Wow. That is not a great standby mode if that is intentional. I guess it's a good "finder" mode but will drain quite a bit of power.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Hi Beam:)

Yes when the rear switch is off, no problem at all, the emitter goes off...but it is not realy easy to switch on when you need quick access to the light. IMHO, the rear switch is good to put your light when you don't need to use it, but when you have it in your pocket it will be better that the stanby mode didn't use too much current...I don't know in how many days the battery will be emptied....

And for replying to Gunga, I don't think it is intentional because JEtbeam is investigating and searching a solution...

Last edited: