*New* Lumintop Titanium Tool

BuildingSerenity

Newly Enlightened
This is such a damned good looking light. I want to talk myself into saying that's a safe switch for me...

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Order is mid,low,high

Not sure if this is just a guess or if you have it on some authority, but either way I'd imagine that to be correct. It matches all the other recent small Lumintops anyway. For me that's one of their biggest weaknesses. Rey (aka ReyLight) "fixed" the copper Tool for us by having a special run made of lights with Nichia 219b, proper L>M>H order, a lowered lowest output and no PWM. I want this Ti light as well and will have one, but I think I'll sit back for a minute and see if Rey wants to do a custom run of this light, too. Are you reading this Rey?! :poke: :laughing:

Semi-related photo of my ReyLight tool, just for inspiration:
fZPCn84.jpg

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my 4.
ToolVN cu. l,m,h
ToolVN alm. high mode only
ReyLight cu. custom l,m,h
Tool cu. regular m,l,h
A Vinh titanium would go well.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
... Rey (aka ReyLight) "fixed" the copper Tool for us by having a special run made of lights with Nichia 219b, proper L>M>H order, a lowered lowest output and no PWM. I want this Ti light as well and will have one, but I think I'll sit back for a minute and see if Rey wants to do a custom run of this light, too....

I also have the ReyLight CU Tool, and it's been in my pocket since it arrived... a really great light, and IMHO a near-perfect EDC. Now this Ti version has a couple of significant differences besides Titanium material:

1) new "patented zero-power-consumption electronic metallic tail switch" -- I'm not sure how an electronic switch can have zero parasitic drain, but am very interested to hear more about it! The exposed, rubber switch boot on my copper tool is really the main weak point for me... not that it's failed (yet) or activated accidentally, but mainly I'm concerned that since I'm pocket carrying it will wear out sooner than later. Also, tail-standing would be a great additional feature. If Lumintop does the electronic switch right, and makes it firm enough that it won't activate every time it bumps something in my pocket, this will be a great improvement over the (already excellent) current version.

2) the pill is just threaded in place in the middle of the head -- this could be a modder's dream... or it could make fixing a broken board or lens a simple, user-performed part swap. On the other hand, it provides two additional ingress points for moisture and dust, and it could really suck if it came unscrewed in your pocket and the reflector got dirty.

The proof as they say, is in the pudding. :) I'd thought my ReyLight CU was EDC nirvana, but i'll be watching this one closely... If the new design is well-executed, and if Rey does a group buy with a proper Low-Med_High mode order, I guess I'd just have to get one.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just wonder if it is really small & light enough for keyring use?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
20160128021950_78097.jpg
IMG_0756.JPG

Existing Tools and Maratacs will not Head swap with the new TiTool.
The TiTool tailswitch might Lego with other Tools.

empty weight specs
Aluminum Tool 15 grams
Titanium Tool 22 grams
Copper Tool 30 grams

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this is just a guess or if you have it on some authority, but either way I'd imagine that to be correct. It matches all the other recent small Lumintops anyway. For me that's one of their biggest weaknesses. Rey (aka ReyLight) "fixed" the copper Tool for us by having a special run made of lights with Nichia 219b, proper L>M>H order, a lowered lowest output and no PWM. I want this Ti light as well and will have one, but I think I'll sit back for a minute and see if Rey wants to do a custom run of this light, too. Are you reading this Rey?! :poke: :laughing:

Semi-related photo of my ReyLight tool, just for inspiration:
fZPCn84.jpg
That's what it says on Lumintops website page for the light. If you click features it says MED, LOW, HIGH. Scroll down to #3

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what it says on Lumintops website page for the light. If you click features it says MED, LOW, HIGH. Scroll down to #3

you are both right
The ReyLight version of the Lumintop Copper Tool has Low-Medium-High mode sequence. It is now made of Unobtanium (sold out).

The logo on the head tells them apart:
bunny.jpg
IMG_0043.PNG
IMG_0520.JPG

You can still buy the standard MLH Copper Tool in both Nichia or XPG2. The new TiTool will be MLH also, afaict so far with both LED options as well. The LMH ReyLight has a Nichia LED only, and the MLH Maratac has an XPG2 LED only. The heads are interchangeable and none of them use PWM any more.

here btw is a beamshot of the XPG2 and the Nichia versions
the 110 lumen XPG2 is 38% brighter than the 80 lumen Nichia
the Nichia has 25% higher CRI than the XPG2
IMG_0502.JPG

To guesstimate a TiTool price point, given that the Copper Tool is $59 on the bay, I would expect the same price for Titanium. Some of the Copper Tools were sold for $39 when first introduced. They went fast :)

Last edited:

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wonder if it is really small & light enough for keyring use?

As always that's a personal preference. It won't be for me. I tried to carry a Promethius Beta QR-2 on my keyring for a while. That's basically a Lumintop Worm, which is basically the same light as the Tool without the tail switch. Too big; I couldn't do it. I bought the pocket clip for the Beta and its now a pocket light. But that's just my opinion. YMMV.

OCD

Enlightened
Let's see..
-Titanium
-aaa
-electronic clicky switch

Yup, I want :cool:

My initial thoughts too. But then I realized that my Thunite Ti Ti, that comes on in firefly mode, gets used evey night for heading to bed. I guess that could be the role of the Thrunite...my bed time light... and this new Tool could be my new aaa edc.

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
RGRAY what are those beads on the maratacs?

They are Peter Atwood Terminator beads.
There are four slightly difference.
The ones with the dots are called the satelite.
This one is called rifling.

There is a cross patern and I think one other.
They very by the ring.

cancow

Newly Enlightened
Nice, but stop with the aaa love! Aaa lights have no use in this world.