New Malkoff MDC in the works.

Edi

Newly Enlightened
Re: Malkoff MDC

The jump form 50-100 lumens is too small. Hard to notice any difference. You need about 4 times the lumens for us to see it as twice as bright. A. 2-25-100 lumen light will be better spaced.

Totally agreed but the runtime would be double for almost no difference in light output?!

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
I received my MDC Li-Ion light today and somehow I missed the fact that these are for RCR123's and not the 14500 that I thought the MDC was made for (still new to this whole thing).

No biggie but I need to order a couple more batteries now. Can anyone recommend the best Li-Ion RCR123? I see different mAh ratings and I'm guessing bigger is better (looking for 400 lumens and maximum runtime)? If someone knows a thread explaining this in layman's terms I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Craig

Just before posting this, I installed the Li-Ion head onto my MDC AA and it gives me exactly what I was looking for. Just a different color of orange between the head and body, though. I will use it this way until I figure out what RCR123's I want to order.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my MDC Li-Ion light today and somehow I missed the fact that these are for RCR123's and not the 14500 that I thought the MDC was made for (still new to this whole thing).

No biggie but I need to order a couple more batteries now. Can anyone recommend the best Li-Ion RCR123? I see different mAh ratings and I'm guessing bigger is better (looking for 400 lumens and maximum runtime)? If someone knows a thread explaining this in layman's terms I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Craig

Just before posting this, I installed the Li-Ion head onto my MDC AA and it gives me exactly what I was looking for. Just a different color of orange between the head and body, though. I will use it this way until I figure out what RCR123's I want to order.
AW is generally considered the best, but have had good experience with Panasonic-based Eagletac and Xtar protected cells. Some companies *cough*Ultrafire*cough* tend to overstate capacities, the best you'd get out of a 16340 is around 600mAh.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks.

Craig

Malkoff makes the MDC in both a 16340 (RCR123) and 14500 (AA) variant. He hasn't introduced the 14500 version with LMH operation yet but I'm sure it's coming. Also, the head from your light should screw right on to the 14500 body and work perfectly using 14500 cells. Unfortunately, Gene hasn't started listing the bodies for sale separately (yet).

So for now, You might need to look at some 16340 cells. I suggest taking a look at HJK's reviews. Here's a link to his review that includes some 16340 cells.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Can anyone recommend the best Li-Ion RCR123?

I've just ordered three from AW, I did look around and couldn't find another quality cell for the same price delivered to Australia, the situation may be different in the US.

Norm

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWs have never let me down. I'm sure the other batteries are fine, but AWs have become the de facto standard and choice for me. On another note, I couldn't resist - ordered the last Black MDC HA LMH - although no doubt Gene will soon have plenty more!

Edit - just looked - he has 2 more in stock now!

I've just ordered three from AW, I did look around and couldn't find another quality cell for the same price delivered to Australia, the situation may be different in the US.

Norm

Last edited:

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help/education guys. All my batteries so far have been AW. I was just thinking the 750 mAh (AW) or 880 mAh (Ultrafire) didn't seem as impressive as I was thinking might be available.

And why don't they list RCR123's as 16340's? I never felt dumb until I got into studying these lights and batteries. :huh:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't tell you why they call them RCR123s. I fact, when I first got into flashlights a few years ago they didn't. 16340 was standard lingo. My guess is its a marketing term... I guess since people know what CR123s are, and they just piggybacked on the name.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been buying from AW for years. Have a lot of his cells and 3 of his soft starters.
Always great to deal with.
Regarding cells he has established history of quality control and addressing problem areas.
His cells have realistic capacity ratings.
For a 16340 high output light, IMR 16340s are my preferred option. Their voltage sags less under load, so while capacity is lower, effective what hours is close to LION cell
and safer chemistry, faster to charge. Depending on light and driver, LION may not be able to maintain full output, IMR cell will.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose it wouldn't make sense to produce a body for the MDC that takes an 18mm cell just for the few of us that would use an IMR 18350 but it would be AWESOME! All the run time of the LiCo02 16340 with all the benefits of a LiMn02. I can always run one in my MD1 I guess. :thumbsup:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose it wouldn't make sense to produce a body for the MDC that takes an 18mm cell just for the few of us that would use an IMR 18350 but it would be AWESOME! All the run time of the LiCo02 16340 with all the benefits of a LiMn02. I can always run one in my MD1 I guess. :thumbsup:

I would definitely like one but one question first. Maybe I've missed it somewhere but does anyone know if it has low voltage cut off? If not you would need to monitor the cell to avoid ruining it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I couldn't tell you why they call them RCR123s. I fact, when I first got into flashlights a few years ago they didn't. 16340 was standard lingo. My guess is its a marketing term... I guess since people know what CR123s are, and they just piggybacked on the name.

Actually the term RCR123's was started on CPF, many, many years ago. From my recollection JonSidneyB (J.S. Burly at EDC Forums) had the vision to bring forth a rechargeable 123 around 2003-2004. Over time the rechargeable 123 was nic named RCR123, and sometimes RCR123a on CPF. The CR123A is, of course, the venerable primary Lithium battery rated at about 3.25 volts and 1300-1400mAh. Credit for the birth of the rechargeable 123 must go to JonSidneyB, one of our early CPF members.

Bill

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely like one but one question first. Maybe I've missed it somewhere but does anyone know if it has low voltage cut off? If not you would need to monitor the cell to avoid ruining it.

The MDC has no low voltage cut-off for battery protection. However, if will noticeably dim as the battery is depleted, giving warning that it's time to charge.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK thanks, I hadn't seen in it posted in the specs but didnt want to say for sure. I've got a HA LMH on the way.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the term RCR123's was started on CPF, many, many years ago. From my recollection JonSidneyB (J.S. Burly at EDC Forums) had the vision to bring forth a rechargeable 123 around 2003-2004. Over time the rechargeable 123 was nic named RCR123, and sometimes RCR123a on CPF. The CR123A is, of course, the venerable primary Lithium battery rated at about 3.25 volts and 1300-1400mAh. Credit for the birth of the rechargeable 123 must go to JonSidneyB, one of our early CPF members.

Bill

Thanks for the backstory on that!