NEW Maratac AA cu (Copper)

turkeylord

Enlightened
Bump... Anyone pull the pill out of one yet? Curious to know how well secured they are. I had one AAA that was impossible!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a second set (AAA, AA and CR123) and had them shipped to Vingh for mods. He swapped the emitters to XP-G2 4000k on the AAA and AA and changed the driver and emitter on the CR123. He did a great job. Vingh shipped them to me in Switzerland and the savings on taxes and custom duties just about paid for the mods. I'm running them on Li-ions and they are great. The modded CR123 is a pocket rocket and eats 16340 IMRs. The copper conducts the heat really well and makes using these flashoholic heaven.

back to your question, yes, you can get the pill out. Or at least Vingh can...

turkeylord

Enlightened
Ha, I have a Vinh modded 4000k XP-G2 AAA too! I've never dared run a Li-Ion though as I think he used a Lumintop Worm driver and they're not supposed to like 10440s. No problems with yours?

Thanks for the reply :)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have modded my aaa with a xp-g2. I only use 10440 batteries with no issues other than a little heat building up when using hi mode for too long.
Both modes gets bumped up in output. The lo mode becomes a useful medium mode, and high mode mode is really bright. Not planning on getting it back on a 1,5V diet :) I like the mode spacing with a 10440 for edc use.

turkeylord

Enlightened
I ordered a Cu AA from Miles Stair's Survival Shop on Saturday and received it today. The PWM is a non-factor for me, seems to be fairly high frequency at least in my example. The knurling is more agressive than the AAA, but not too sharp IMO. Less sharp than the knurling on the tailcap of my Zebralight H60w for example.

To confirm what others have said, the lanyard ring fit was terrible, but a few minutes' work with my Leatherman and it fits perfectly. There's a little bit of a rough spot in the threads, and it does have a decent scratch near where the pocket clip lands. Running it on 14500 seems to be no problem.

Overall I'm pretty happy. :)

skygear

Newly Enlightened
What is the guys Username that mods these?. Or is there a tutorial on how to remove the "pill" from these Maratacs? I want to get the new SS REV 3 and transplant the "pill" into my copper AA. I like the new Glow-in-the-dark O-Ring also. Nice touch in a dark pack.

I took a peak at the innards. Well, at how to get to the innards. I'm lost. Looks like I could hit the PCB holes and turn, but I got a feeling i might need to heat it to break some loktite off.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, I have a Vinh modded 4000k XP-G2 AAA too! I've never dared run a Li-Ion though as I think he used a Lumintop Worm driver and they're not supposed to like 10440s. No problems with yours?

Thanks for the reply :)

Sorry for the late reply. It runs great on a 10440. As noted, the low becomes a useful medium and high is very bright.

Edit: Sorry this is the AA thread and not the AAA thread. The Maratac copper AA runs great on a 14500. Compared to the AAA, the low is lower.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the guys Username that mods these?. Or is there a tutorial on how to remove the "pill" from these Maratacs? I want to get the new SS REV 3 and transplant the "pill" into my copper AA. I like the new Glow-in-the-dark O-Ring also. Nice touch in a dark pack.

I took a peak at the innards. Well, at how to get to the innards. I'm lost. Looks like I could hit the PCB holes and turn, but I got a feeling i might need to heat it to break some loktite off.
Unscrew the head and try unscrewing the pill grabbing the holes, (i just used a nail and grabbed one hole.) None of mine was glued. If its glued: toss the head in a pastic bag and boil it in water. The led can handle more heat than 100 Celsius. Unscrew FAST before it cools down. So use some mittens when you handle it after its boiled. If it wont budge, boil it some more, and try again. No need to pay pepole for a led swap.
The most fun about flashlights, is searhing for your grail light, and modding the ones you dont like :)

skygear

Newly Enlightened
Unscrew the head and try unscrewing the pill grabbing the holes, (i just used a nail and grabbed one hole.) None of mine was glued. If its glued: toss the head in a pastic bag and boil it in water. The led can handle more heat than 100 Celsius. Unscrew FAST before it cools down. So use some mittens when you handle it after its boiled. If it wont budge, boil it some more, and try again. No need to pay pepole for a led swap.
The most fun about flashlights, is searhing for your grail light, and modding the ones you dont like :)

I appreciate that. I'm more than able to do the mods. Since someone already did the MODS I was going to ask them HOW. I did try to turn the pill out to no avail. I think I will order the SS REV 3 and transplant the innards. I was reading another thread and saw the dremel action. NO THANKS!

Again, much appreciated. I might try to use a set of retention ring pliers.

turkeylord

Enlightened
After having success putting a Preon pill in my AAA Cu, I decided to try it with my Maratac AA Cu as well. I ordered a Foursevens MiniMA a couple weeks ago to give it a shot. I had some reservations as the heads and bodies do not lego well. What I found though is that the body threads in the MiniMA head are on a very slightly larger diameter than the pill threads. Once I had the pill out, it spun into the Maratac head beautifully.

sj4yHA0.jpg

I still need to swap it to a 219, but so far so good.

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened
Anyone's AAA Copper have sharp Knurling? Just received mine. It doesn't have the Periodic table symbol "Cu" anymore on it just "MARATAC AAA"
Anyways, my knurling is smooth in one direction but but very sharp and rough when turning it the ON direction. It tears up my fingers? Anyone else?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

jmoyat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for the info mcbrat, glad I bought teo when it was available! I did spare one with a fellow CPFer so that one left is not going anywhere!