*new* Olight S10R, S15R and S20R

NorthernStar

Enlightened
The chargers charge to about 80% and then start flashing red. The dealers sending these out know they are sending bad units.

This is indeed true!

Now when recharging the S15R after the battery indicator turning red, the charging dock indeed starts to flashing red! :mad: I have a charging dock from the poor badge. I am going to return it to the dealer or claim refund.

Ruudr

Newly Enlightened
This is indeed true!

Now when recharging the S15R after the battery indicator turning red, the charging dock indeed starts to flashing red! :mad: I have a charging dock from the poor badge. I am going to return it to the dealer or claim refund.

Ow that sucks man. Hopefully mine is ok when I receive it. When not, I will also return it as a warranty issue.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying as my EDC for 2 years, first the original S10 and for the last year, an S10 L2. I love the fact they took care of the switch button sticking out as I've had mine come on several times while clipped to my pocket. It's also neat to have a recharge feature without removing the battery to charge (I've been running RCR in mine for the last 2 years). The one thing I'm not amped up about is the fact there STILL isn't a high CRI version available in these lights. The S10 series is my all-time favorite EDC, but after using my TERRALUX Lightstar 80 high CRI light for about six months, I rarely use the S10. I'd be all over an S10 L2 or S10R high CRI. I might still get an S10R just because.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying as my EDC for 2 years, first the original S10 and for the last year, an S10 L2. I love the fact they took care of the switch button sticking out as I've had mine come on several times while clipped to my pocket.

I hope this version is better. This is also my EDC light (backup to my E2d/E1d). I have to twist off the tailcap a few mm's to make sure it doesn't turn on accidentally. Not quite a fan of the electronic lockout feature. Overall, like the size, built and beam profile of the S10-L2, so am looking forward to this!

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this version is better. This is also my EDC light (backup to my E2d/E1d). I have to twist off the tailcap a few mm's to make sure it doesn't turn on accidentally. Not quite a fan of the electronic lockout feature. Overall, like the size, built and beam profile of the S10-L2, so am looking forward to this!

Well, darn it! I couldn't really afford an S10R, but ordered one anyway, because this flashaholism has had a grip on me for around 40 years with no sign of letting go. Can't wait to try it out.

In the mean time, I think I'm going to try and trim off the top of the switch button on my S10-L2 to make it low profile.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened

They're a lot better. You have to have something hit the switch head on to make it accidentally activate. I don't see that as very likely if you have it clipped to your pocket.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're a lot better. You have to have something hit the switch head on to make it accidentally activate. I don't see that as very likely if you have it clipped to your pocket.

This is great news as my S10-L2 came on AGAIN today clipped to my pocket. The bad thing is I was wearing light colored pants and didn't notice it had come on until I looked down to see my pocket glowing brightly. No idea how many people saw it and wondered what the heck.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
This is great news as my S10-L2 came on AGAIN today clipped to my pocket.

Olight has implemented a feature to overcome accidental acctivations, it's called the "lockout". There's 2 lockouts, one electronic and one manual. With that and awareness (not aligning the light so the button is pushing up against your leg) I don't understand how the light activates in ones pocket.

I think this has beeen blown way out of proportion.

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight has implemented a feature to overcome accidental acctivations, it's called the "lockout". There's 2 lockouts, one electronic and one manual. With that and awareness (not aligning the light so the button is pushing up against your leg) I don't understand how the light activates in ones pocket.

I think this has beeen blown way out of proportion.

Well aware of the lockout "features". I've tried every alignment position possible and at some point, the light will come on. Neither lockout options are a good solution since you either have to press-hold to disable the electronic lockout and then cycle through to the brightness you want or in the case of loosening the tailcap, use the other hand to tighten it and then cycle through to the brightness you want.

I have fixed my light tonight and won't have to worry about the issue again. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/392304 Just because YOU haven't had the issue doesn't mean it's blown out of proportion if MANY have had the issue and it's certainly well documented. AND, if it wasn't an issue, why would Olight make the new lights with flush buttons? Hmmmmm

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Just because YOU haven't had the issue doesn't mean it's blown out of proportion if MANY have had the issue and it's certainly well documented. AND, if it wasn't an issue, why would Olight make the new lights with flush buttons? Hmmmmm

I guess that means a lot of people don't know how to edc a flashlight.
The reason why Olight made the R version is the same reason why Olight is in business, to make money.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that means a lot of people don't know how to edc a flashlight.
The reason why Olight made the R version is the same reason why Olight is in business, to make money.

Apparently, nothing ever made by man can have issues and if anyone has issues they don't know what they're doing? WOW. Of course Olight is in business to make money. The point is, if the button is so fantastic and perfect, there would be no need to change it.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
This light is very appealing. Mainly, due to its size & the small charger, i think it's an ideal travel light. That said though, reading through this thread about the faulty charger of the initial prototypes, i am a bit concerned i may get one.

So i'm wondering if the charger just blinks red when the battery is at 80%, but continues to charge until it's full, which would be sort of acceptable or if the charger blinks and stops charging at 80%. Does anyone who has one know?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Apparently, nothing ever made by man can have issues and if anyone has issues they don't know what they're doing? WOW. Of course Olight is in business to make money. The point is, if the button is so fantastic and perfect, there would be no need to change it.

I agree. The new recessed button is far better than the old. Offcoarse one can use the electronic lockout or twisting the tailcap, but after exit the lock out mode or twisting the tailcap, the light always starts at moonlight mode or a higher mode depending on what version. One has to cycle through several modes to have it start at desirable mode. With the new recessed button i have had no accidental activation and i use my S15R clipped to my working pants every day. It´s comfortable to have the option to start the light at desirable mode without cycle through a lots of modes.

For those who does not like the new versions, the old versions will still be available. They will not be discontinued.

This light is very appealing. Mainly, due to its size & the small charger, i think it's an ideal travel light. That said though, reading through this thread about the faulty charger of the initial prototypes, i am a bit concerned i may get one.

So i'm wondering if the charger just blinks red when the battery is at 80%, but continues to charge until it's full, which would be sort of acceptable or if the charger blinks and stops charging at 80%. Does anyone who has one know?

My faulty charger behaves just like above described, but i don´t know if it continues to charging or not when it blinks. I´ve found it so irritating that i unplugged the charger when it starts to behave like that. The dealer that i baught it from now has promised me that they will send me a new flawless charger from a later batch though.

mhooper

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy a light for a friend's present. Is the s10r small enough to use as a keychain? I know it's no Fenix e05, but does anyone have an s10r on their keychain? Does it charge ok attached to a keyring?
Also, any advice on avoiding the problems with the early models' charger when it comes to purchasing?
Thanks!

UAStack

Newly Enlightened
This may be a dumb question, but will the charger be good enough to leave the light on overnight or is is best to monitor and remove once charged?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
This may be a dumb question, but will the charger be good enough to leave the light on overnight or is is best to monitor and remove once charged?

I use to leave the light on overnight without monitor it, but on the morning when the charging cycle is complete i always pull the plug.

Ruudr

Newly Enlightened
Good question. I don't know either :thinking:

mhooper

Newly Enlightened
Bumping my question... :)
I'm looking to buy a light for a friend's present. Is the s10r small enough to use as a keychain? I know it's no Fenix e05, but does anyone have an s10r on their keychain? Does it charge ok attached to a keyring?
Also, any advice on avoiding the problems with the early models' charger when it comes to purchasing?
Thanks!

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Bumping my question... :)

Unless your friend is a flashaholic this is a bad idea. I'm assuming your friend doesn't know the in's and out's associated with LiOn batteries.
A flashlight that runs on AA batteries is a better idea.
The S10/R is not a keychain light, thats not to say you can't put it on a keychain. You can also put the S20 on a keychain..whats bearable to you?

Last edited: