*new* Olight S10R, S15R and S20R

mhooper

Newly Enlightened
My friend's an engineer, so maybe not a flashaholic, but I'm not too worried about the battery aspect.

Unless your friend is a flashaholic this is a bad idea. I'm assuming your friend doesn't know the in's and out's associated with LiOn batteries.
A flashlight that runs on AA batteries is a better idea.
The S10/R is not a keychain light, thats not to say you can't put it on a keychain. You can also put the S20 on a keychain..whats bearable to you?

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
I just noticed that unlike most other lights we are accustomed to by fenix & others, this light is rated at IPX-7. Wondering if the downgrade from IPX-8 is something to be concerned about hmmmm.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed that unlike most other lights we are accustomed to by fenix & others, this light is rated at IPX-7. Wondering if the downgrade from IPX-8 is something to be concerned about hmmmm.

This light has external contacts for the charging that may be shorted by water. For this reason it's better not to submerge it.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
This light has external contacts for the charging that may be shorted by water. For this reason it's better not to submerge it.
While i don't plan on submerging the light, if i have it attached to my bike handlebars on a rainy day, i wonder if it could damage the light? Does that mean this light can't even handle an accidental dunk in a puddle?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, IPX-7 still envisages a complete submersion even if in shallower water and for a short period of time so the light is somewhat water resistant. This rating IMO covers exactly an accidental drop into a puddle with a quick recovery.

ip_86

Newly Enlightened
Good flashlights.
I know where you can buy at a discount. If interested, please write a pm.

mecra

Newly Enlightened
Has the charging base issue been resolved? I would like to pick up an S10R and S20R but won't do so until the chargers are confirmed fixed.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S10R I just received from UK dealer Flashaholics seems to be OK. The docking base flashes slowly when empty (every 10 secs or so) then the LED becomes red during the charge and turns green at the end of it. If at that point you take out the cell and put it into another charger it will go no further.

I take the opportunity to ask those who complained about the charger to be more clear as to its behaviour so to help all of us to understand if the one we have got is OK or not.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Has the charging base issue been resolved? I would like to pick up an S10R and S20R but won't do so until the chargers are confirmed fixed.

I don´t know that for sure yet. The dealer that i baught the S15R with the issue charging dock has sent me a replacement one which i should receive by the end of next week. I also has placed an order from another deler on a S10R and a S20R which this dealer claimed is from another batch from Olight and that he had tested both charging docks so that they are flawless before sending them tom me.

I will receive the S10R and the S20R by the end of the coming week, so i can come back then when testing both and confirm if they are without issues or not.

The S10R I just received from UK dealer Flashaholics seems to be OK. The docking base flashes slowly when empty (every 10 secs or so) then the LED becomes red during the charge and turns green at the end of it. If at that point you take out the cell and put it into another charger it will go no further.

I take the opportunity to ask those who complained about the charger to be more clear as to its behaviour so to help all of us to understand if the one we have got is OK or not.

It sounds like your charging dock are without issues. Have you tried running your S10R until the low voltage indicator on the light shines red and then insert it in your charging dock? If the charging dock then starts to blinking red, then it´s a charging dock with issues. If the charging dock just turns red without blinking, then you have a dock without issues. The issue with the blinking charging dock only shows up when the lights battery has real low capacity.

Anybodysguess

Newly Enlightened
Received mine. It works GREAT, very very bright very tiny light. (My past lights were all from a supermarket or home improvement store.) I love how accurate or even conservative olight specs their lights. The medium mode which is 81 lumens is wayyyyyyy brighter than a "90 lumen" pocket light I bought. And it almost outperforms a "130 lumen" maglite on medium. I love the tint, even though it is not advertised as neutral or high cri it is way way more natural than any led lights I have had before, they are all blue in comparison. They state it can reach 104 meters. That is the exact distance I measured it to be useably bright at. My 130 lumen maglite claims over 300 meters, it doesn't go nearly that far.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I left my S10R on at medium level for about 3 hours then the cell protection kicked in and the light went off. I did not see the red LED in the switch before that.

The docking station connected to my laptop was slowly blinking green, I put the light on it and the LED turned red. It stayed red for about 90 minutes then it turned green. It seems that this charger is OK.

Trying later on to check the red alert LED I put a CR123 into the S10R and noticed that there was a very faint glow in the middle of the switch. The red LED is so weak that it can be seen only in nearly total darkness. At this point I am no longer sure it did not show up during the first test because it was done early in the afternoon. Perhaps those who have seen the red light on can comment on its strength.

Anybodysguess

Newly Enlightened
I left my S10R on at medium level for about 3 hours then the cell protection kicked in and the light went off. I did not see the red LED in the switch before that.

The docking station connected to my laptop was slowly blinking green, I put the light on it and the LED turned red. It stayed red for about 90 minutes then it turned green. It seems that this charger is OK.

Trying later on to check the red alert LED I put a CR123 into the S10R and noticed that there was a very faint glow in the middle of the switch. The red LED is so weak that it can be seen only in nearly total darkness. At this point I am no longer sure it did not show up during the first test because it was done early in the afternoon. Perhaps those who have seen the red light on can comment on its strength.
Is it only on when the flashlight is on? Or does the red light stay on once the battery is low?

jeff400650

Newly Enlightened
I just got an S10R tonight from Amazon/EdisonBrite and it has the defective charger. It blinks slow red when the flashlight is not on it (normal). It turns solid red with flashlight docked (normal). It starts flashing red at about 90 minutes of charging (it is supposed to turn solid green). That is the bad news

The good news is that everything actually seems to work just fine. I removed the charged battery from the flashlight and put it in my Nitecore Intellicharger, and it instantly went to 3 solid bars, which means fully charged. I took the battery out right away and put it back in the light and turned it on the highest setting. There was a slight step down (barely noticeable) at 4.5 minutes. Then it stayed on for 64 minutes! That is 14 minutes longer than the manual says it should. The red low battery indicator in the button came on at 58 minutes. After it went out, I then placed the light on the charger and got the exact same results again... 90 min till the red charge status started blinking, then a 66 minute run on high. So, at least in my case, the charger seems to charge fine, it just blinks red instead of turning green.

I still sent an email to Olight requesting a new charger. We will see what they say. The light works great. I have had the regular S10 for a few months and use it all the time as a headlamp clipped on a ball cap. The button and UI and size and weight and lumen settings are all perfect for that application.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
It starts flashing red at about 90 minutes of charging (it is supposed to turn solid green). That is the bad news

The good news is that everything actually seems to work just fine. I removed the charged battery from the flashlight and put it in my Nitecore Intellicharger, and it instantly went to 3 solid bars, which means fully charged. .

Thanks for letting us know! I wonder if other defective chargers that others have received behave similarly? I have yet to order one yet, but i will soon i think. As long as the dock charges the battery fully and not just to 80%, i could care less what the indicator light does when it's finished charging.

lightmyfire13

Enlightened
Thanks for letting us know! I wonder if other defective chargers that others have received behave similarly? I have yet to order one yet, but i will soon i think. As long as the dock charges the battery fully and not just to 80%, i could care less what the indicator light does when it's finished charging.
Mine was the same...contacted olight and they sent a new one straight away...Cheers to Olight:)

Tapis

Enlightened
... As long as the dock charges the battery fully and not just to 80%, i could care less what the indicator light does when it's finished charging.
I intent to buy one for an old uncle and the charger should work properly or my uncle will be quite confused. So I'm holding my purchase until I get confirmation that the charger including its indicator light is working just fine.

Anybodysguess

Newly Enlightened
I intent to buy one for an old uncle and the charger should work properly or my uncle will be quite confused. So I'm holding my purchase until I get confirmation that the charger including its indicator light is working just fine.
Goinggear ships the correctly working units, and they have 15% off coupon this month, making them the cheapest option. Free priority shipping.

Tapis

Enlightened
Thanks Anybodysquess. Unfortunately, Goinggear's shipping rates outside US are very expensive. The minimum is about $42. I bought many lights from Illumn to be shipped to family members in Europe for around $15, but Goinggear refuses to send First-Class International. They just don't want to bother with lost packages, or simply set up their system to include the option. I have contacted them about the issue, was turned down.