New Olight S30R Javelot

GarnerArms

Newly Enlightened
~9000-10000 cd vs ~17-17500 cd, better throw in the same body.

Thank you. I am so new to all of this, I honestly noticed the difference you pointed out but it didn't even register in my mind that it meant better throw.

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
NorthernStar, unfortunately it was big fog tonight and also I didn't positioned my camera to well in my back yard.. :duh2:
The tree is at aprx 80 meters (80-90 yards) , both lights with fresh cells.
I couldn't see a difference in throw, maybe at luxmeter to be some difference (a slightly better throw for S30R Javelot)

Pic bellow

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/ra.../S30R vs SRT6_zps9vq7csgk.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Last edited:

RobertB

Newly Enlightened
I've had the "normal" S30R Baton II on my bedside table since it came out this summer. Looks exactly like this light with an emitter swap. The battery is most definitely proprietary. Modifying another battery to work with this charging setup would be tricky, and probably dangerous. Here's a comparison photo - S30R battery on the left, normal Olight 18650 on the right.

HoUK60S.jpg

Yes the light will work with any cell you put in it, but it'll only charge the special cell. Its still a great light though, even though I'm not wild about proprietary batteries either. The combination of "full-power" 18650 size, great UI, magnetic tailcap and handy charging base is hard to pass up. Its also an easy light to mod if that's your thing. Mine's had a nice warm white XM-L2 5C emitter in it for months now.

Looks like they just stuck a thin washer on top to connect with the negative sides of the batt and re shrink wrapped it.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks dangerous, if it fell over and touched a metal object that shorted the two. There is a very good reason there is an insulating washer between the button and the shrink.

Keep it in the light - or in a plastic bag/tube. And what ever you do, don't put it in an external charger! The positive pick-up would short it for sure, at least while inserting it.

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it looks a little dangerous, but it has protection. I charged in Xtar xp4 with no problems, you have to struggle to make a shorting.

Anyway, this is a flashlight for 2x18350 configuration. Is visibly brighter on max mode and you can see the difference between 400 lumens (I believe are ~500) and max mode. With 18650 (I tried also with imr) at 3,8-3,85V can not mantain max brightness.
With 2x18350 on high mode (400 lumens) can go more than 1 hour without discharging completely the cells

swan

Banned
So the main difference is the CREE led? What does cd mean here? Sorry I can't even find an answer through google.

CD= candela, which is lux measured with a light meter at 1 metre.

s30r 10000cd =200m of throw s30r javelot 17500 = 264m of throw

The normal s30r has a different cree led type [xml2] which will have less throw but with a larger hot spot. The new s30r javelot has a cree xpl hi intensity led, which will throw a little more with a smaller more intense hot spot.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Looks dangerous, if it fell over and touched a metal object that shorted the two. There is a very good reason there is an insulating washer between the button and the shrink.

Keep it in the light - or in a plastic bag/tube. And what ever you do, don't put it in an external charger! The positive pick-up would short it for sure, at least while inserting it.

I have charged the custom Olight 18650 battery external on my Klarus CH4S charger several times, and it has not been any problem doing so.

Yes, it looks a little dangerous, but it has protection. I charged in Xtar xp4 with no problems, you have to struggle to make a shorting.

Anyway, this is a flashlight for 2x18350 configuration. Is visibly brighter on max mode and you can see the difference between 400 lumens (I believe are ~500) and max mode. With 18650 (I tried also with imr) at 3,8-3,85V can not mantain max brightness.

With 2x18350 on high mode (400 lumens) can go more than 1 hour without discharging completely the cells

Can you please explain this a little further. What do you mean when you are saying that the S30R Javelot can not maintain max brightness? Are a you saying that when running it with a 18650 battery it never reaches turbo mode, or it can not maintain the turbo mode for a longer period?:thinking: I assume that the light has a stepdown function to prevent overheating just like the S30RII has when running it at turbo mode, but at least that light reaches turbo mode with the 18650 battery that the light comes with.

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
Yes, maybe I didn't express to well (sorry for my English), it reaches and mantain turbo mode with the custom battery or any other good 18650 fully charged. As I say, when the battery reach around 3,85V the turbo mode is lower, noticeable with naked eye. To other lights is not so noticeable (example Fenix PD35 TAC).
Because of that, when the battery reach ~3,8-3,85V you can not see to well difference between high mode (in real life ~500 lumens) and turbo mode.
It has a step down after ~3-4 minutes), I think somewhere at 650 lumens.

TrentRoberts

Newly Enlightened
I have Surefire lights hooked up to some of my hunting rifles and they are good and all but one thing that always bothers me is that I never know whether or not the batteries are going to have enough juice to get me through a weekend when I really need it. Yes, I go buy more batteries but that costs $20 to $40 depending on how many and what type of batteries the light takes. I'd rather grab it off charger knowing that is fully charged and ready to go and you can always have the charger in your car as well. That is what sold me on this light and the fact that this light throws much further than any Surefire light I own. So the custom batteries weren't a big deal to me and then when you read the manual it says it also takes two regular cr123 batteries so that eliminates all negatives about having a proprietary battery. The charger itself is very sturdy even though it doesn't look like it. Also the light is very white compared to my Surefire lights which are floody with almost a yellow tint. As someone stated previously, the light has very usable flood but it was definitely built to be a thrower. If Hope this helps.