New Surefire E2D Defender 1000 lumens - single and dual outputs

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy enough to find Atwood Rope MFG with a websearch ... and thanks for mentioning that.

I was looking for aramid thread a while back, and it seemed incredibly difficult to find at that time.
No problem at all👍.

Another great option is braided fishing line like Spiderwire. I believe it is Aramid based(Dyneema)and it is super strong. The good thing about it is you can pick your size/strength too.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the E2CL-2 and latest Defender. They both have the same beam pattern.

Perhaps, Surefire has reached too far with 1200lm :) People say that with an EDC2L-T primary cells are over stressed and get too warm at max output. But I have noticed nothing like that with my Defender. Yes, its head warms up, but not the battery tube.

May this be the reason of a little step back in performance?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do think 1200 lumens on 2 x CR123A's is pushing it but, people need to quit being babies. Surefire is an American company that tailors to mainly professional users(LEO, MIL, Security, Government Contractors, etc.) and also probably doesn't want to get sued so, I am sure they thoroughly test all their products. Not to mention they have decades of R&D and experience(much more then most flashlight companies). Also, how many stories have people heard of EDCL2-T's or Defenders blowing up? I personally have read none.

High power lights get got, as do their batteries. Most CR123A's are rated to at least 60C. 60C is very hot. That is 140F for you US folk. And, I am sure there is a generous safety buffer built into those specs. Not to mention most lights have either a timed step down or thermal regulation to prevent overheating.

So, use your lights people, you are taking far more risks with other things by leaving your house every day.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do think 1200 lumens on 2 x CR123A's is pushing it but, people need to quit being babies. Surefire is an American company that tailors to mainly professional users(LEO, MIL, Security, Government Contractors, etc.) and also probably doesn't want to get sued so, I am sure they thoroughly test all their products. Not to mention they have decades of R&D and experience(much more then most flashlight companies). Also, how many stories have people heard of EDCL2-T's or Defenders blowing up? I personally have read none.

High power lights get got, as do their batteries. Most CR123A's are rated to at least 60C. 60C is very hot. That is 140F for you US folk. And, I am sure there is a generous safety buffer built into those specs. Not to mention most lights have either a timed step down or thermal regulation to prevent overheating.

So, use your lights people, you are taking far more risks with other things by leaving your house every day.

While I have to agree I cannot stress enough that folks wherever they are need to pay attention and not buy the cheap crap that's intended to get our money at the expense of our safety. Countless people criticize other people for spending big money for something that to most is "just a flashlight" I use the hell out of my gear and not worried 1 single time. I can say also that Surefire is an EXCELLENT company and a hot defender at that power is nothing to worry about... unless you're running cheap counterfeit batteries!

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear gentlemen, being a believer is nothing bad, but... All we know that Lithium batteries performance suffers to some extent at "high" temperatures. Do you have other logical explanation why Surefire have designed an E2D Defender 200lm less than an EDC2L-T if the second one is "absolutely OK"?

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Dear gentlemen, being a believer is nothing bad, but... All we know that Lithium batteries performance suffers to some extent at "high" temperatures. Do you have other logical explanation why Surefire have designed an E2D Defender 200lm less than an EDC2L-T if the second one is "absolutely OK"?

That is a very interesting question. Comparing the two flashlights I would guess they have similar thermal masses. I have an EDCL2-T and it gets pretty warm/hot when left on high output for an extended period.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Likely to increase runtime and/or the time it takes before a thermal step-down or just to differentiate it but, who knows, it is a different model. Why is the any light different the any other light really lol.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a very interesting question. Comparing the two flashlights I would guess they have similar thermal masses. I have an EDCL2-T and it gets pretty warm/hot when left on high output for an extended period.
The EDCL2-T is slightly larger and heavier(not a huge difference though). How warm? I bet less then 60C as it is thermally regulated. Just like most other high output lights these step down to keep the temp within limits. If you wanna see hot buy a Nichia powered Emisar D4 lol. And guess what, it is still perfectly safe as it is thermally regulated too and keeps things within the manufacturers limits.

Maybe Surefire just realized that 1200 lumens is pushing it for 2XCR123A's(although they made both the new Fury and Scout DFT 1200 as well) and wanted to stress the batteries less and achieve a longer burst before step down. I bet they would give a reason if someone just emailed them(I have no desire to know this personally or I would do it).

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Honestly, could be the tailcap design differences between the two lights. 1200 Lumens of sustained use could damage a clicky tailcap that was never designed for that much output and heat. The EDCL2-T has no clicky inside the tailcap to burn out or damage. Thus, can be run hotter. Back a few years ago when modding stock SureFire lights to run brighter and brighter, it wasn't just possibly overheating the LED or the batteries that was an issue. But some guys were breaking the clicky SF tailcaps too. The non-clicky ones had no issue with that.

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
The dual output finally came back in stock at Amazon this morning, and I placed an order for one. Says it'll ship later this month... was browsing the 2019 Surefire catalog and noticed a little something. In the pictures in the catalog the dual mode has the antiroll (?) thing on the head. But, if you look at the picture of the single mode defender its head looks more like the edc1 and 2 heads where the head is the entire width for the length of the entire head. Curious is someone with the new lights can verify that theirs is like that? Also, if you look at the Surefire webpage for the product, the images are inconsistent. The image against the white backgroud has the ultra with the antiroll and the tactical with no antiroll... until you get to the staged photo and then both have no antiroll.

Either way, looking forward to my new Defender coming soon. My first Surefire was a 200 lumen one. Later had the 500 lumen one. It'll be like getting the old car you had when you were younger :)

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sample (dual output) has a head looking identical to EDC1L-T, but with sharper "teeth". No antiroll elements. The only item keeping it from rolling is a clip.

Mckinngkb

Newly Enlightened
I have the single mode 1,000 "tactical". Surefire told me that physically the 2 are the same. The pic is outdated.

davyro

Enlightened
I've got the e2dl and the new e2d defender. I love the beam better from my 500 lumen older model and yes my clip is broken on it, apart from that it's a great light. I'm not a tint snob so the greenish tint doesn't bother me. The new 1000 lumen light is a lot more floody and no greenish tint at all. It still projects the hot spot a good enough distance. The thing with me is I love the shape of the light but for some reason I have it in my head, the beam profile of the 500 lumen one seems to be more suited to the shape of the light. Just my personal opinion and thoughts. They're both great lights but I was a little disappointed with my newer one just because it isn't as an aggressive thrower beam profile.