New Zebralight S5310

Tsportmat

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed that it's fairly big (for a 3xAA ZL), and also it just states 750, not 750/500. Maybe this has some decent heat sinks so doesn't have to kick down to a lower level after 5 mins? Very cool if so. The battery indicator sounds great as well.

grayhighh

Enlightened
Been looking for a AA light for a while, this might just be what im looking for. Also i never own a Zebralight, maybe this will be my first Zebralight.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
programmabgle low low. See Zebralight gets it. Other big name light manufacturers don't. I'm talking about the Fenixes, Eagletacs, and most Jetbeam models. Their idea of low lows are 2-5 lumens which is a huge fail.

fnj

Enlightened
YOWZA!!! ZebraLight is ON FIRE!!! The SC80 does 29 DAYS on a single AA at 0.12 lumens, so with 3 AA's at much less lumens, this one has the potential to give a staggering run-time. It does all depend on the regulator circuit, though. I will be watching this one. :eek:oo:

Quality

Newly Enlightened
All you guys asking about a neutral version; I'm with ya! :thumbsup:

I truly believe that they will release a neutral version of this light. Zebralight is waiting on very specific emitters for their Q50w and SC600w, so I don't see why they wouldn't use the same emitters for a S5310w.

Toaster

Enlightened
I'm kinda on the fence on this one. The S6330 will have 288 step PID thermal regulation and I assume the S5310 will as well. I'm assuming there will be some fairly heavy throttling going on in "Turbo" mode out of necessity which is fine. If there's any thermal regulation interfering with "Max" mode or lower under normal operating temps, that will kill any interest I have in this light. I need my lights to have constant and predictable output + battery drain under normal use levels. I don't care to deal with a light that has intrusive thermal regulation and constantly wavering output when I don't want it to.

Tenebrae

Newly Enlightened
I don't care to deal with a light that has intrusive thermal regulation and constantly wavering output when I don't want it to.

I hear ya on that one. I've been in too many situations where the output ramps down but fast at exactly the wrong time. At first I naturally think, "Oh no, my battery's dying." But it ain't. It's the thermal reg kicking in and I find it annoying.

BBL

Enlightened
I dont like thermal regulation too. If i switch the light to 700lm, it should stay there - or shut down if thats not possible, but not degrade over time.

NickBose

Enlightened
This will be another 18 pages thread without a pics on a non existent light. Oops, I'm contributing to it.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
So far ZL have a pretty good record of actually making and selling "planned" lights (with the exception of the "2xAA side-by-side" light, but I don't think they ever claimed it got past the "thinking about it" stage to the "yes we are going to make and sell these" stage.

I believe more choice is usually better - a bit like the ZL UI gives you lots of choices of output (but is easy to quickly get the one you want).

For the people who don't like thermal management there are choices/compromises to be made (by both manufacturers and buyers). Smaller lighter lights simply don't have the capacity to dissipate a lot of heat, so most reputable manufacturers are conservative and reduce max light output ALL the time, or they allow a higher initial output but reduce when it gets too hot to save the emitter (thermal management).

Other choices are: allow the emitter to be degraded due to excessive heat; significantly increase the size and weight of the light to allow better heat disssipation.

As buyers, we can weigh up all factors before buying a light.

Deal4

Enlightened
programmabgle low low. See Zebralight gets it. Other big name light manufacturers don't. I'm talking about the Fenixes, Eagletacs, and most Jetbeam models. Their idea of low lows are 2-5 lumens which is a huge fail.

+1!

low

Enlightened
How about a S5310w OR even better a S5310c Mr. Zebra?????????
Huh? Huh? Come on you know we want it, and we want it NOW!

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I do not buy all that many lights, but this light would be a must have for me. I like the sound of the q50 with 4aa's , but I think the 3aa light will be much more pocketable instead of the square light. I also just bought 16 new eneloops and a smart charger, all I need is for this light to be released.
My only concern with the zebralight would be toughness. I flounder gig almost every weekend out of a kayak at night. This light will see plenty of salt water, I hope it can stand up.