• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nichia 219 coming to Peak lights from Oveready

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CH, Just order the batteries direct from AW.

I just received my Eiger Nichia 219 today, and it's excellent. The new QTC pill definitely makes a difference.

I found that the pill will not work in my gen 1 QTC AAA SS body. the new pill is thicker, and the o-ring is exposed.

I'm hoping that Oveready and Peak can work out some sort of exchange program. I know there's enough material that the body could be bored a bit deeper.

Last edited:

Kevinkw1

Newly Enlightened
Yes, but oveready has 10280's for sale on there site. I have a charger that can charge em but I've never seen 10280 batteries anywhere else. Would that head go with a 10440 aaa body? :eek:oo:

Id prefer the Logan anyway ;)

Ah yes, those 10280's are very difficult to find in Australia :( Hence my keeping to Nichai Eiger AAA and hopefully the Logan cr123 format.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too received my new Eiger 219 yesterday. I was of course impressed with the Nichia but I knew what to expect having already received several Malkoff and Nailbender 219 drop ins. What REALLY impressed me was the new QTC pill. My previous Eiger (Nichia 119) with QTC was my EDC and I've used it every day for months. I had grown used to delicately operating it when I wanted low output but otherwise just cranking it on expecting full output.

With this new model, I can reliably give the head an 1/8 turn, 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn etc and expect to see discreet output level. I can also turn it on a very, very low mode without the flickering that I was experiencing before, and I can go from a high mode back to a low mode without the light turning off abruptly.

In general, this latest revision has taken what I considered to be the simplest, most robust switching mechanism out there and improved the function by leaps and bounds.

Cheers to the folks at Peak and Overady for delivering an all around bang up product!

kingcow

Newly Enlightened
Is there a bug in them? I will switch them off and it will go off but about 10 seconds later it will turn back on. Another thing I hate about it, is you don't know that it is truly off. Wished they had something will that will make a clicking sound letting you know that it is off.

I tried emailing Oveready several of times but they never response to my emails.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Logan available in Nichia 219 yet? Definitely interested once I save some money. I'm a bit confused on the OR site, it says 4500K at the top of the Peak listings, but in the Eiger drop down menu for emitter choices there's only 5000K. Is this the Nichia 219?

On an aside I think it would be a great idea to make a few Logan 219 heads in Al. The stainless steel head looks nice but are very poor at thermal dissipation. I've melted 4 Logan optics in SS, terrible track record. The optic in my Al Logan head is holding up just fine.

I can't comment on SS Eiger heads because I never owned one, but from user reports it sounds like they work great.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy cow they sold out like hot cakes! I was going to pick one up but oh well. Will wait for the Logan. I shot Peak an email on whether the Logans they sell have the Gen. 2 QTC pill or not, no response.

Last edited:

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
I second the aluminum head, or at least brass. I don't want to cook the led or optic. If they made an xml mule in a warm tint I'd pick it up in a heartbeat!

Kevinkw1

Newly Enlightened
Oveready have just released their Peak Logan cr123 Nichia 219's!! I have ordered one to go with my 2 X aa Peak Eiger! Such a beautiful tint!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took me a lonnnnngggg time deciding if I wanted or needed the Logan with Nichia 219.

First I am not familiar with the performance of the new QTC pill and don't know how reliable it is. To add to that "problem", I could not decide if I needed 123 or 17500 body, stainless or aluminum, short flat or with momentary. Lastly, if I decided to go for momentary there is no clip.

I gave up trying to stress my brains any more than that and ended up with an Eiger 219 and short keychain SS body. To be honest, if a clip for the Logan was available I might have already made up my mind.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
From their email newsletter, Peak Clips are still in the works and they hope to have them ready later this summer.
That is the problem. Looking at the momentary switch design and how easy it is to accidentally activate in the pocket, I can't possibly have a Logan with a momentary tail end and not have a clip to clip it to the pocket. Being overseas it would cost a lot for shipping just to order the clip again when it is available. And if I were to wait till the clip is available before ordering, there might be a chance that the Nichia 219 head won't. This has always been my experience buying from Oveready, or rather trying to buy from Oveready. It is like that for the Surefire host, it is like that for the Moddoo system, and it is like that also for Peak. I always ended up drooling over their website for hours but not getting anything in the end. However, the couple of times I ordered Surefire hosts from them I am very satisfied with their professional service.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't possibly have a Logan with a momentary tail end and not have a clip to clip it to the pocket.

Then support one of our local builders and buy a Peak clip from Jason at Dark Sucks.

I bought 2 a while ago. They fit a 17500 Logan with old-style momentary switch just fine.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then support one of our local builders and buy a Peak clip from Jason at Dark Sucks.

I bought 2 a while ago. They fit a 17500 Logan with old-style momentary switch just fine.
Thanks for the link. Now that I looked into it, I am tempted to get the Prometheus too! Just too contagious.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my Nichia 219 Eiger arrived today to much anticipation!
I watched and watched this thread for someone to review the light, but no one ever did, so I guess I'll give it a shot. :)

-------------------------------

The Emitter

The LED is the same Nichia 219 that most of us are now familiar with. Mine leans towards the cool side, I'd guess 4800-5000k.
This 219 Eiger is much cooler and a lot brighter than the 119 Eiger that Oveready sold for a while.

White balance locked to Daylight in all pictures.
All lights powered by either a fresh 1xAAA or 1xAA Eneloop.
colorcontrol.jpg

colorcree85cri.jpg

coloreiger119.jpg

coloreiger219.jpg

colormaratac219.jpg

colorpreon.jpg

colore01.jpg

Output is much improved over the 119 Eiger (or at least my sample). White balance is a bit off in this picture - things aren't quite so rosy to my eye.
brightnesscomparison.jpg

The New And Improved QTC

The redesigned pill is improved over the old one by leaps and bounds:
  • You don't need to crank on it so hard to get max output
  • You don't need to baby it so much to get minimum output
  • The ramping is smooth and not jumpy at all
  • The QTC recovers MUCH faster than it used to

That said, in my "long keychain" model, the light arrived with its QTC pill jammed sideways halfway down the tube. USPS wasn't very nice to it apparently. I disassembled it and reassembled it with tweezers.

My 119 Eiger has the short keychain (lug) body. My new 219 Eiger has the long keychain (unscrewable end) body. I don't know if that makes the difference or not, but if we unscrew both just until the QTC turns off, you cannot see the o-ring anymore on the new Eiger. :thumbsup:

Left: lug body Eiger
Right: keychain body Eiger
headscrewdown.jpg

Fit and Finish

I'm afraid this is where I need to be a bit more negative. I'm a pretty big Peak fan (check my post history if you need proof) but it's hard to deny that their latest offerings feel, for lack of a better word, rushed.

This is the knurling on my brass Pacific. Note the well-defined grooves and sharp diamond shapes. This thing rides around in my pocket with my keys several days a week and doesn't look a bit worse off for it.
knurlingbrass.jpg

When I ordered a Logan 17500 SS a while ago, I was thinking I'd get the same knurling - not quite. I'm not sure the reasons behind this very fine cross-hatch. It's grippy, but it feels rough and unfinished in the hand and I don't find it attractive at all.
knurlinglogan.jpg

I was a bit worried what kind of knurling would come on this Eiger 219 - I was hoping for the larger "diamond" pattern and that is what arrived. That said, it's just not the same as the 119 Eiger I received only 4-6 months prior. It feels "sharper" in the hand, like it has unfinished edges, and the knurling isn't cut as deep as my previous Eiger. It also has a weird sheen to the surface - the knurls just don't catch and reflect the light like they do on my 119. It's hard to capture in pictures:

Left: Eiger 219 /w new QTC & long keychain
Right: Eiger 119 /w old QTC & short keychain
knurlingeigercompare.jpg

It sort of feels like it was rollled onto the light instead of being cut into it, yet it's actually sharper and not as smooth in the hand.

Conclusions

Pros
It's brighter, I like the tint better, and the ramping is smoother.

Cons
I don't feel that the finish is as nice as my previous Peak lights. Between this one and the Logan, I'm starting to wonder if Peak is going for quantity over quality.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this light. My 119 Eiger has been my keychain carry for months and this light just replaced it, so it must be pretty good. :)