• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nichia 219 coming to Peak lights from Oveready

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Nichia 219 in stock anymore... I hope they'll come back soon!

As for the QTC, I managed as well to take the pills put my 2 Eiger SS (10180 & 10280). I'd be happy if I just could get the new pill, I guess I can do the update myself (unless the bottom of teh body has to be changed or something like that).

Can't you sell the pills?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The optics maker discontinued the AA size option last year. El Cap's since are made with Logan size optics, with larger logan size heads. This size mismatch encouraged the 17500 option, with a 1-2mm thicker body and AA sleeves. However, a flood (no optic) El Cap head would be 'more true.'

When you say diameter, is the body alone, enough?
That makes sense. Would the extra 2mm make a difference? Probably not, but, I try to not have lights with sleeves in them. The closet engineer in me screams "inefficient!" and I don't own any Li-Ion cells other than 18650s and one married pair of 17500s. I'm hoping to use primaries for this purpose as this light would replace a ThruNite T10 (single AA). I suppose I can go with a CR123a Logan...

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done any measurements on these? I've seen report of slightly higher vf's than the xpg's and would find it interesting to see how they compare. IE how much draw on a li ion or a lifepo4 at max.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the sleeve options work well but once you try a true 17500, AA's look rather underpowered. The momentary also comes into its own, providing full power with less pressure, from the higher voltage.
You know, My EDC light only does 110 lumens and that's more than enough for why I carry it. I do carry a 6P sized light for those times when I need more, but, it's in my jacket pocket, rarely to be taken out and actually used. I'm still trying to find my perfect EDC light and a 219 El Cap would have been it.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectronGuru, do you know when more Logan 219 lights will be available again? Also, approximately how many OTF lumens does the Logan with the 219 produce (I apologize if this was already stated and I missed it)?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Peak was working on more before the last batch went up for sale. I do not yet have an ETA on more heads, but it should be before July.

We have no testing data, but it calculates to 78% of XPG R5 totals. So about 235 at the emitter.

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
The optics maker discontinued the AA size option last year. El Cap's since are made with Logan size optics, with larger logan size heads. This size mismatch encouraged the 17500 option, with a 1-2mm thicker body and AA sleeves. However, a flood (no optic) El Cap head would be 'more true.'

If this is true then why on the new peak website is the el capitan being sold with an option for narrow or medium optics?
What ever happened to the mule logans because I want one?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
What ever happened to the mule logans because I want one?

Flood heads have been in development for almost a year and were not ready for announcement. As of today, the design is finalized, so its a matter of establishing production.

If this is true then why on the new peak website is the el capitan being sold with an option for narrow or medium optics?

Optics are differentiated, not by size but by beam profile. 'Narrow' refers to the most possible focus. 'Medium' is in between the most floody optic and the least. The optic is the same size, just frosted instead of clear. Like a textured reflector, frosting reduces throw, but gains a smoother/cleaner beam profile.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
We're developing the pure flood head as an improvement to the medium/flood optics, so all other heads are/will be clear-narrow.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
ElectronGuru said:
We're developing the pure flood head as an improvement to the medium/flood optics, so all other heads are/will be clear-narrow.

Great news! A narrow optic is exactly what I wanted.

arcane

Newly Enlightened
The momentary is just ok; it takes a lot of pressure to get it to max output.
Ok I guess I installed the QTC pill backwards.. :p
I flipped the QTC pill around so the hex side is towards the switch and round flat side against the battery. The momentary works pretty good now.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Diablo_331 said:
If my 10180 lug Eiger has this problem, it will be sent back to Oveready until I get a decent one.

Just my luck.. My Eiger arrived today. It has some deep scratches. I'm very disappointed to say the least and will probably be sending it back. Quality control > Peak.

Last edited:

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
I flipped the QTC pill around so the hex side is towards the switch and round flat side against the battery. The momentary works pretty good now.

Yep, I did the same thing. I received shipment of mine on saturday. I started fiddling around playing lego and whenever I took out the battery the pill dropped out in pieces. At first I thought the pill was defective because I had put it in exactly the same as my other logan.:thinking: Both wrong.:duh2: I almost passed on these because of the narrow optics and SS heads, but I convinced myself that I could use it as a cr123a vampire. Then at the lower outputs I'd be running it at the narrow beam would be a plus. I hope peak doesn't discontinue the med optic entirely. In my opinion while a mule would be a great compliment to their line the med optic is extremely useful.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention how much I'm digging this light! The momentary is only good to get to low on mine, which is good. The qtc is a great implementation of technology. I don't have to choose between long runtimes and high outputs on peak pocket lights anymore. Kudos to oveready on offering the nichia's and kudos to peak for the great lights. And please don't get rid of the med optics!

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my luck.. My Eiger arrived today. It has some deep scratches. I'm very disappointed to say the least and will probably be sending it back. Quality control > Peak.

That's weird however, even if QC at Peak may not be up to the task, everything I got from Oveready until now was 101%, top notch. That's mainly their own stuff however, perhaps they trust Peak's QC...

Filip

Newly Enlightened
I think the hexagonal disk should be placed towards the battery, not the tailcap. If oriented this way then the pill cannot be pushed away from the plastic holder. Futhermore, you may check the "Peak QTC Upgrade Program" at Oveready where there is written how to tell which QTC set up is in the body - if you SEE the hexagonal disk then... Which means the hexagonal disk should be placed towards you/the battery.

What made a dramatic improvement for me was to flip the round metal disk which faces the tailcap: I put it so that its deeper/hollow side faces the tailcap and its exserted/flat side faces the pill (as a result, the QTC is pressed much easily). Now the transition is very smooth.

(Maybe I am just demonstrating my own stupidity because I may have flipped the round disk by mistake while playing with the flashlight and now I am describing its orignal state ;-). But I am almost sure my QTC metal round disk wasn't oriented the way I described in the previous paragraph.)

I hope the Oveready's clips will be in stock soon...

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
EG, with the upgrade program, will I need to also purchase a new style momentary switch, or will the older one still work properly?

Leave the switch installed when you send it in.

That being said, clip buyers find the extra length to be handy.