Nitecore EA4 Problems, fit and finish, flaws (take your poll here:)

What problem or issue with your EA4?

• Fit and finish

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Rattle

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Tint

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
NW EA4

Rattles
Bezel not flush
Purple tint

I honestly thought I would buy 10 of these. One for each car and one for each kid. Glad I bought a single sample first.

Maybe Nitecore will release an EA8 that has these issues fixes...

Sorry to hear about your issues with the light! You may check out other lights from other manufacturers who may have better QC on their lights. :)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two arrived in the mail this week, both flawless. I love that I can barely see the blue indicator, nice change from the EC25 and P25

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

david57strat

Enlightened
Does any one think that this model seems to have more problems than the rest of their line?

I don't happen to own any other models from Nitecore; but I'd like to, and have been considering the TM series.

the poll seems a bit biased. How about an entry for no problems? I have no problems with an EA4 or EA4W.

Mine seems to work flawlessly. I have the cool white version.

Mine rattles but has never bothered me. It works great. I am a little concerned about the half press to come out of the lock out.

I'm not having any issues with the lock-out mode being canceled by half-presses; but I wish the area (in the holster) around the button, wouldn't make any contact with the button, inadvertently, if the holster is in a bag. This would mean, designing the holster with some sort of ridge area around where the button is, so it could never be pressed (while in the holster) accidently. In other words, the lock-out mode would be more effective, if the button was more protected, while in the holster. My only concern here, rests with the possibility of inadvertently canceling the lockout mode, and having the light go into high power mode, which could potentially cause a fire.

Other than that, I love the light. My only other complaint (which is not a deal breaker, but a minor complaint) is that I wish the Blue "locator" lamp was a lot brighter - even if just to see it register battery voltage, when new batteries are placed in the lamp. It has to be dark enough, in the room, and you have to be close enough to the light, to actually see anything register at all, out of that LED. Hiding the LED behind the switch button, doesn't make as much sense, as placing it around the button (as is found in the EC25 light - a much better design, in my opinion). But possibly they did this, to keep the cost and the size of the light tube, down...?

But, I still love the light.

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
I have no complaints about the quality of my EA4. Like a few others the bezel ring doesn't sit completely flush with the body. There is a fingernail sized uniform gap but the bezel is tightened down completely and I'm confident after using it in a variety of weather conditions that the bezel ring is making the EA4 water resistant. Now,is there a need to redesign it to make it better? Hell, yes! The lack of an antiroll ring, poor switch tactility and the lack of an easily seen switch LED amongst other issues. However, this light is in my opinion an object lesson in how to make a powerful AA battery powered utilitarian light. It's not 100% foolproof but it is (IMHO) getting close. Roll on the EA8 ;)

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Humm, looked and checked and bezel straight & flush, no rattle, no bad tint or spots, led centered, threads good, springs straight, anodizing good, clear lettering - seems flawless.
The one thing I haven't check - It indicates voltage, I just haven't the accuracy of it.

jak

Enlightened
Flawless and awesome! This light is fun for me.
1 (psuedo)problem I guess, I don't have a legitimate nightly use for it.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
After leaning against a counter tonight and my switch being pressed long enough to unlock it (I carry it in the belt sheath), I have to say I'm disappointed in the method of unlocking the light. I went to use the light and found it to be on and the eneloops so low they would only muster enough volts to get ultra low. Putting it back in lock-out, I got a volt reading of 3.7, to low for a set of eneloops. I hope it didn't damage my batteries and I really wish you had to unlock it by three quick clicks like my manual says. That's my only real complaint as of now.

Blacklight73

Newly Enlightened
Nit-picking? Maybe :), but the serial number is right at the switch. Anyone else have one like this? It also has some install marks on the bezel, near the indents.
[h=1][/h]

Patriot

Flashaholic
No issues with mine, bezel is straight, no rattle, tint is typical CW. All secure in sector 7!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am having 2 main issues with my EA4. First of all, its not very bright. It doesnt click on. Oh wait, maybe these problems stem from the fact that I dont own an EA4 yet!

I've been reading these EA4 posts here and at the other EA4 thread just waiting for some major issues to come out of the woodwork, which would stop me from buying one. There do seem to be a few problems, but its hard to say if they are bad enough or frequent enough to justify not buying one. But my general lack of work in the winter time certainly justifies not buying one right now!

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Get one.:thumbsup:

I am having 2 main issues with my EA4. First of all, its not very bright. It doesnt click on. Oh wait, maybe these problems stem from the fact that I dont own an EA4 yet!

I've been reading these EA4 posts here and at the other EA4 thread just waiting for some major issues to come out of the woodwork, which would stop me from buying one. There do seem to be a few problems, but its hard to say if they are bad enough or frequent enough to justify not buying one. But my general lack of work in the winter time certainly justifies not buying one right now!