Not Smoking...

persco

Enlightened
Re: Smoking

Its been a full seven days. Im still getting cravings...but I will not give in.

The cravings arise and stay for only a few minutes. Then they pass away. The cravings will also continue to lose their strength and intensity until one day you'll notice the cravings aren't there, at all.

Stay strong!

Its been a full seven days. Im still getting cravings...but I will not give in.

Anyone have clinical knowledge of when the cravings are no longer physical,, that is, the physical addiction has passed and the cravings are now solely mental?

I'd guess that after a week of no smoking you've beaten the physical addiction. :twothumbs Congratulations raptechnician! :clap:

~ Chance

CMAG

Enlightened

Anyone have clinical knowledge of when the cravings are no longer physical,, that is, the physical addiction has passed and the cravings are now solely mental?

I'd guess that after a week of no smoking you've beaten the physical addiction. :twothumbs Congratulations raptechnician! :clap:

~ Chance
My Dr told me the withdraw is 5 to 7 days, but the nicateen takes 6 month to completely leave your system.
I used Chantex for 3 mo and felt I was good then got stressed out and had a smoke told my Dr about it, he gave me the script for Chantex for 6 month and told me the rate of people who quit for good was much higher on the 6 month plan rather than the 3 months.
I'm 2+ years smoke free after 2 packs a day for 35 years. The first week is the roughest and slowly gets better each day after but there are these triggers you never thought of that make you want to smoke some stronger than others but pass within a few min.(stay strong).
After 6 months your good but will still miss the mental having a cig in your hand. I found it best not to substitute such as chewing a toothpick this just makes it worse in the long run. after a year most mental cravings are gone but don't let your guard down there will be that trigger you have not had smoke free yet. (I flew for the first time 18 months after I quit and got a slight urge).
Do not think you have it under control and one smoke now and then wont hurt you will be back to that 2 pack a day in no time.
Stay away from smokers or places that condone it for at least 6 months.
Lie to your self, keep telling your self, I dont smoke, I am not a smoker. Dont say your quit in or worse your trying to quit. this may sound stupid but self talk helps allot, as they say fake it till you make it.
I will not say good luck quitting, because you don't smoke.:thumbsup:

kawaii433

Newly Enlightened
Ive been smoking cigarettes for 20 years (Im 38) and recently decided I want to quit. I read the easyway to quit smoking by Allan Carr and quit, with no nrt (no patch, gum or those ridiculous e cigs). Its been 5 days that I havent smoked. I had a stressfull day at work yesterday, and I still didnt smoke. Im done with that crap.
Im very proud of myself and I feel great. There are so many benefits to not smoking.
I just wanted to share my story with you guys.

It will still be challenging, but I will remain focused and determined.

Congrats :)

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
20 Days smoke free

:sleepy:

One thing that I have realized is that I like not smoking, more than I ever liked smoking.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't smoke but I have family members and friends who do. Another friend runs a Christian Drug Recovery Home called "In His Steps". In my experience watching others, there are three main things that draw people back to smoking. #1: The addiction of the nicotine and the inability to get over it. Using the gums, patches, and the electronic cigarettes keep you addicted to the nicotine and at some point, you'll probably go back to smoking. If you can avoid these products and go cold turkey, do it. #2: The void of smoking is not replaced with something else. If your mind is only focused on not smoking, don't kid yourself, you're still thinking of nothing but smoking. Find something to replace it with that is healthy. Use the money you save by not smoking for a reward (something you really want) and set a realistic goal (# of days not smoking) to buy what you want. Try a sport, exercise, or activity to keep your mind off of smoking. If you are busy, you won't have time to think about smoking. #3: The habit or muscle memory involved with smoking. If you've been smoking for a long time, you will feel a bit of a void when not holding a cigarette. Replace the cigarettes with something else until you no longer feel this void. I've seen many past smokers take up eating baby carrots because they are similar in size to cigarettes and go in their mouths. This deals with the muscle memory and replaces a bad habit with a good one.

Once you're free of the addiction, have filled the void, and have gotten rid of the habit, you should be in the clear.
Good luck and keep at it.

Last edited:

XTAR Direct

Newly Enlightened
i have been smoking since i was 21. i am now 32 years old and just this month i quit with my friend (30 days now). i swear this works and i dont have cravings anymore for a real cig (my cig of choice was camel crush btw)... there are so many ecig shops popping up around my area its easy to find goods. it turns out for me i wasnt addicted to the nicotine as much as the motion of having a smoke. i wanted to just let you know that is an option to help you guys stop! ecigs changed my life i think it will for most

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
Im not a big fan of e cigarettes. Ive never tried them...but the last thing I want is to pick up another habit.
I was able to quit for good... with the help of a book, my family and of course you guys and especially this thread.
This thread really means alot to me.
I did it...and the reason I know I did for sure is because there is absolutely no doubt in my mind. I could never even picture myself smoking again.
51 Days smoke free. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Speedfreakz

Newly Enlightened
It may sound hokey but if you find you want a cig go get some suckers. You may find playing with the stick mimics the cig "prop" craving.

rashi

Newly Enlightened
Its good that you have left smoking. you can try some substitution like chewing gums.
Be strong and think positive.

Cinder

Newly Enlightened
Good for you! You probably already read this somewhere, but for those who went cold turkey:

Within...

24 hours: Anxieties have peaked in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.

72 hours: Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lung's functional abilities are starting to increase.

10 days: The "average" ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.

10 days to 2 weeks: Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in your gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.

2 weeks to 3 months: Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.

What's in store for you after:

1 year: Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke have dropped to less than half that of a smoker.

Full timeline and source
http://whyquit.com/whyquit/a_benefits_time_table.html

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Congrats on 58 days smoke free. We are happy for you!

I'm coming up on 20 years. Maybe I just passed it. I've lost count, and that's a good thing. :)

A strange thing about smoking is that you will, at some point, have the urge to light up. The best tip I ever got was that the urge will pass in the time it would have taken to smoke one. That's as long as you have to resist.

You have passed the worst of it. The physical part is past. Now you just have to deal with those occasional urges. The good news is that they diminish with time too.

Daniel