Not Smoking...

macforsale

Enlightened
Great to hear about another "quitter":thumbsup:

It took me a few years to get past the psychological addition. In situations like having a beer with the guys I would bum a smoke. 1st it was every 2-3 months then 6 month and finally once a year. It then got to the point where your clothes reek of tobacco smoke when you get home. They go directly to the wash and me to the shower to get the smell out of my hair. At that point is when you ask your friends to go to a smoke free bar or you give up your friends. -REALLY-

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Mike

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job! ... Now you'll have more money to spend on lights.

I assume you are talking about flash-lights, not Newport lights, right? LOL

I just passed my 1 year smoke free anniversary. Granted I used the stupid e-cigs mentioned in the OP, but they helped me quit a 28 year habit all at once, with no relapses. It may not be as ideal as quitting cold turkey, but its 100% better than smoking 7000+ cigs a year, absorbing all those chemicals and all that tar. There is still some nicotine involved, but thats it.

I quit 2 other times in those 28 years, once in 1986 for about a month. But after just 1 cigarette at a party, I was back to a pack a day. Then in 2001 I quit for almost a year, but still hung around fellow smokers and all it took was one moment of weakness and I bummed one, then next thing you know I was smoking again. Its a VERY tough addiction to break, which is why hundreds of thousands of people die every year, after choosing to continue a habit they know will probably kill them or at least harm their health badly. That fact speaks volumes as to how significant this addiction is.....

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
HighlanderNorth...

Great job even if youre using e cigs. Theyve just started appearing everywhere here and Ive just hated them since day one without ever trying them.

One thing I am happy is to completely rid my body of nicotine...the monster. :poke:

Im at 62 days today and believe it or not I still get the odd, very mild, urge to smoke. Then I think of how much effort it has taken me to get to where Im at, and I just wont touch it. Everybody at work cant beleive that I quit just like that.

NO MATTER WHAT BRO.

Ive even inspired a few people to try to quit.

An these are a few of the things Ive treated myself to with the money...directly saved from not smoking...

all this stuff...

Whenever I use any of this stuff I think of why I was able to buy it...$$$$

fkx.JPG

No smoking for me man...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
I have a free car because I don't smoke.

I did not start smoking with 16, and never have the following 16 years. At a rate of one pack per week and €5 per pack here, I effectively saved €4000.

I got myself a nice old Volkswagen, and what's left will pay insurance, taxes and fuel for at least 2 years.

Not smoking: Best decision ever.:)

Targaryen

Newly Enlightened
My brother lives overseas.

Ten years ago when I visited him I brought him Duty Free cigarettes. Turned out he had already quit since the last time I saw him.

He smoked the smokes. Still going.

seanborn1979

Newly Enlightened
Great Job on quitting!
I have "quit" way too many times. Although you have surpassed me in quitting altogether, awesome! I have been using a vaporizer when I have a craving. I know this isn't eliminating the nicotine, but I can say that my breathing and sleep have become way better than when i smoked cigarettes. Now I just need to wean myself away from the vaporizer. Been 9 months since I had a cigarette though...

Jakeyb

Newly Enlightened
I quit using ecigs. I'm down to zero nicotine but still enjoy the desert flavors you can get. After dinner I have a few puffs of something sweet instead of eating real sweets.

Tracker II

Enlightened
I haven't had a smoke in close to 3 years thanks to ecigs. Like Jakeyb, I went to zero nicotine desert flavors and feel like I got my life back. My resting heart rate went from 80 down to 52 and I can actually breath well again.

Great job on your part also, keep it up!

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
Hey...Ill bump this.
Im still around, and well into my seventh month of not smoking. I dont even really think about it anymore, and cant believe I used to like it.
Mostly just lurking around once in a while now, as Ive settled on my SC52W.

BarryG

Enlightened
Great job sticking with it! I know it wasn't easy in the beginning. Can you tell any improvement in your health yet?

Barry

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats on the continued success! My dad quit smoking after 30 years or so (when he was about 48 years old). I think the oral habits were the worst part for him. Well, that and the fact that my mom continued to smoke, so he never got away from the stuff. Either way, breaking an old habit can be tough!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
In July 2014 it will be 3 years without a cig,40 a day habit and i quit with nothing but my own will power.Every salary day i buy something and smile because i am spending ciggy money.

I have 3 tablets,2 chrome books,1 lap top, watches,knives,torches expensive pens etc etc.I smell better nothing worse than smoky clothes.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a bad cold during the holidays and on New Years Eve couldn't take it anymore. I put out my cig and haven't picked one up since. I've since gotten better but I figure what the heck, I've gone this long without a cigarette I'll just keep going!
I did this once before and didn't pick one up for almost 8 years......Until Hurricane Irene came along and pushed me over the edge.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i havent had one for about 7 weeks now. havent had a drink either.
i remember seeing this thread months ago, and it was encouraging for me to help kick the habit.
i dont think im in the clear yet. my goal is 100 days before i allow myself to have a drink. because drinking makes my want to smoke, and i want to be free from smoking first.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
114 days and counting for me. I had been smoking on and off for the last 32 years. I had a little medical scare on Oct 14th;quit cold turkey, and haven't looked back.

Haven't had a drink in over 26 years... quitting smoking is harder.

Imon

Enlightened
Congrats to everyone in this thread who successfully quit.
I've never been a smoker myself but I hear that most people who try to quit fail.

You'll improve your health and the health of your wallet. :p