Olight M20X: What are your thoughts CPFer's??

shane45_1911

Enlightened
LOL dude. You have been here, what, a month? Don't pretend you know me...or what I have done (or not done) to help others on this forum.

Anyway, I am not a moderator - post as much as you want within your own thread. It is just tiresome to read and makes it look like this is your own personal Facebook or Twitter account.

Carry on...

Soda

Newly Enlightened
Just saw the M21x on sale at lightjunction. Too bad i just ordered the M20x. They cant be that different.....can they? Enough to justify getting the M21x also?

spc smith

Enlightened
M20X has SIDE switch UI, and no step down in brightness after 5 min on high like M21X does. BOTH are superior, M21X better suited as a Weapon mounted light.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw the M21x on sale at lightjunction. Too bad i just ordered the M20x. They cant be that different.....can they? Enough to justify getting the M21x also?

If you get one then you will not need the other. The only differences are that they have different UI's, and the M21X has a larger head (meant to throw a little better.) But, the extra throw on the M21X is barely noticeable. Also, the difference in brightness is hardly noticeable. The M20X max output is 500 lumens, and the M21X max is 600 lumens. On paper it looks like it's a big difference, but to our logarithmic eyes it is more like distinguishing the difference between 50 lumens compared to 60 lumens....again hardly noticeable. Watch the video reviews over at goinggear.com which shows a direct comparison of these two lights.

Soda

Newly Enlightened
Ok. I cant get that many lights (limited budget) so my money should be going towards something i dont have, like a good headlamp.

So does the throw of the m20x actually go 200 yards like on the box, or less?

spc smith

Enlightened
Im sorry i wasnt able to get back to you soda. Depending on how lit or unlit the ambient light ie street lights, porch lights car headlights are around you. all these things effect our night adapted vision. But to answer your question, your olight M20X can reach that distance in total darkness. If you can find a dark enough area away from civilization that is. Otherwise 100 meters is your best point in urbanized areas.

Soda

Newly Enlightened
Well Smith, I have a Jetbeam M1Xm, Fenix PD30, and the Olight M20x coming in the mail. Ive only recently been purchasin lights

spc smith

Enlightened
youl like the light. period. The UI is alot easier than the M21X with no step down and just about the same brightness overall. your not going to be disappointed.

kwk1

Newly Enlightened
I just received an M20s xml that I am giving as a gift.
Of course I tried it out! It seems very nice to me.
Now, I notice that there is a M20s using a cree S3 led available.
I am going to get one of these for myself, what would the difference be between the two?

spc smith

Enlightened
Look i will be honest with you. I dont have the M20S S3 using the newer LED. But M20X is a fine light and so is the M20S S3 im sure. What you should do is check out this review done on youtube by goinggear olight M20X,M21X review. It does shorter runtimes... thats not to say if i bought nicer high qaulity AW batteries my runtime could significantly increase. Right now im using ultrafire batteries from the combo i got from battery junction. Those are crap and im still getting 1.5 ie 90 minutes of runtime on high. Just like the initial testing of the light... they are going to be modest with thier ratings.

But as we all know, you buy improved high qaulity equipment ie better batteries, your light COULD last longer than the initial rating.
With that being said, the M20X as i have boldly stated before, is a brighter light especially the spill but with a little less throw BUT...
a wider diameter sized hotspot than the XPG-S3 making it BETTER for medium range single or multiple target

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's unfortunate that I'm unlucky in regards to Olight's tint lottery (lt. green, extremly green and green)! Or I'd still own a M21X, but it was as if the window was tinted green (cost me 17% of the purchase price to return it. however, I still have my M3X). Love the build quality but this is one reason I haven't purchased another olight!

Last edited:

spc smith

Enlightened
sorry i double posted.. for the record The M20X is using the XML led, having a wider in diameter pill BUT a bigger HOTSPOT at the sacrafice of a little extra throw. This is by all terms, the happy medium for MEDIUM RANGE @ 80-100 yards more effective than a more focused SMALLER middle of the beam hotspot that the XRE,XPE or XPG leds put out. Ideally, if you need distance, the XPG-S3 that the newer Olight M20S comes with is your best bet. If your Working tasks at defined closer to medium range, the XML or.. Olight M20X, is going to illuminate better hands down.. At the sacrafice of a lesser runtime.