Output or runtime?

Output or runtime, which do you prefer more?

• Output

Votes: 105 45.9%
  • Runtime

Votes: 124 54.1%

• Total voters

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a light which gives me a choice like the Novatac EDC 120 for example or even the one of Don's PD with a Seoul emitter and is a miser. I can select brightness and get very good run time at the same time.
Even some of the newer fenix lights will sacrifice run-time for brightness as an option. otherwise you can just run it "normally".
Your poll is missing a third answer "both"
Yaesumofo

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the time, especially at the unexpected natural disaster or emergency situation, we can not be so well prepared to carry so much spare batteries. So we really depends on the only battery already resides on the EDC lights.

I've got months worth of batteries at home plus solar (and a dynamo charger too actually). Weeks worth of primaries stashed in the car.
And I have at least a 5 pack of CR123's and 8 charged eneloop AA's with me (in the man purse) at all times. More if I'm traveling further from home plus a solar charger.
Some of us are prepared... always. And that's just the flashlight part. 9 other essentials to go! :naughty:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Twisty has both... output & Runtime. when you need output... just dial O for output and when you need runtime just Dial R for runtime, it even has ER mode (extreme runtime) no need to program or anything... just simple low (.3) med (17) and High (70/100) with a simple twist ;)

If I have to get a light i will go in for a light that has both runtime and output at finger tips when required. Fenix LxD and PxD, NovaTac EDC and latest HDS Twisty would be one of my favorites ;)

afahmic

Newly Enlightened
Yes, i have Fenix L2D Rebel 100 as well. I just want to know how's people thinking which is more important to them, either output or runtime. That's why i didn't include "both" as the option as obviously everyone would choose that.

I was choosing L2D primarily due to it's runtime on low (that i used most frequently) is quite impressive. Additionally, the turbo mode is great as well for sure, but not my main reason to grab it.

BTW, could you point me to the HDS official website please? I am really curious about it. Is it running on CR123 or AA?

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Of course I'd prefer both, if I had a choice, but the question offers only runtime or output - not both. Within the parameters of the question, I'd have to go with runtime.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output, output, output! If my victim isn't smoldering when I get done shining the light on him/her/it, the light isn't bright enough!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i shouldnt have to compromise, with levels you can have both.
but if for example i was stuck with some puny light (battery actually) that will never have runtime, i would still want output. but i sure wouldnt give UP runtime to have it, even if i have to wedge something sideways into it to get it.

i voted OUTPUT, but i would have voted both.

you really could have had a poll with all three choices, because there are many that would give up runtime For output, even if all 3 were an option.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impossible to say without knowing the situation. Someone jumps at me at night, definately output, but when poop hit the fan like zombie outbreak, output is useless when your light dies in ten minutes.

kavvika

Enlightened
Based on my caving experience this summer where there were 8 in my group, and the only lights we had to use were the 4 I brought along: 2 Maxfires w/ DX Cree modules, a L0D-CE and a Jetbeam C-LE, I would have to go with sheer output. I brought along a few spares for the L0D and C-LE (although being a recovering flashaholic, they weren't fully charged...or is that not being prepared?:sigh:) but for the Maxfires, they lasted the entire 2+ hour excursion with power to spare in AW's 17670's. The L0D and C-LE were set to max for the entire trip. But a recent 9 hour power outage across my entire campus on a Saturday night nearly changed my mind. That time, though, I had plenty of charged spare cells. Output it is!

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might have been an issue a year or two ago, but I just don't see where it's an issue any more. Unless you buy a pretty worthless flashlight, don't own more than one, or don't have spare batteries.

Luminescent

Enlightened
This is like asking "which gear in your car do you prefer?" A pretty dumb question in a world where most cars have either automatic transmissions or at least 4 manual gears available at all times (not to mention reverse).

The correct answer is ALL OF THEM.

Only folks that pick dumba$$ supposedly high end 'premium' lights, that despite costing mega-bucks, only offer ONE level, have to make this false choice.

These days, there just isn't much of a 'down side' to most muti-mode lights.

On many of the Fenix lights, you can use a quick twist of the bezel to kick the light directly into Turbo for very simple two level switching.

On the Lumapower 31 you can leave the rear 2 stage 'clicky' set to your favorite level (high or low) and just turn the light on and off with the bezel 'twisty' switching function. (This assumes you are such a HUGE 'single-mode' luddite that you aren't even willing to deal with an EXTREMELY simple two level clicky switch)

On the new Jetbeam 'Clicky' C-LE v2.0 I have found the 'memory' function is VERY reliable. So when you turn the light on with a single click, it's going to come on in your PREFERRED mode 99 times out of 100 or better once you have that mode preset (almost never skips a mode). This makes the light act JUST LIKE A SINGLE MODE LIGHT except when you WANT to change something.

So if someone asks " Do you prefer A.) Brightness -or- B.) Runtimes and Efficiency? "

The correct answer is " C.) All of the above. "

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which do you prefer more between output and runtime (if you allowed to have one single stage light only, ie. between 120 lumens for 1 hour and 10 lumens for 12 hours)?
If I were allowed a single-stage light only I would go for the 120 lumens for one hour. I almost never need light for more than an hour at a time, and in the occasions that I do, it's quite easy to bring multiple cells. Also, with rechargeables, I nearly always swap in a fresh cell and top off the old one, so I know I'm starting at 100% runtime.

There are times where I prefer lower output, even lower than 10lm in fact, but that's generally more to preserve night vision or keep from dazzling myself when reading up close rather than to extend runtime. Given the choice then I'd rather have 120 lumen than 10 -- that's because with 120 it's always possible to use ceiling bounce, or slap on a diffuser, or work with just the spill if the output is too strong. But if the 10 lumen beam is too weak, I'm stuck.

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure that the end result would be an almost tie between the two.
for fun and awe output for sure.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Can't possibly choose without knowing the application. If it's my EDC, then runtime. If it's a bump in the night, I want all the output I can get.

Fird

Enlightened
gimmie a regulated pocket flame thrower that goes for an hour, i can get extra batteries if I need extreme runtime.

Tubor

Enlightened
Can I have some other lights? If had to choose it would depend on the situation - super bright for investigating a noise, super long runtime for power blackouts. If I was going to buy a torch and a company was going to design the brightest torch ever, with a really short runtime or dim but super long runtime and wanted me to decide which one it was going to be, I'd go, brightness!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd normally prefer a good balance of both, but usually I'll sacrifice runtime for output.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Both.....carry a couple extra rechargeables.

As long as the Output/Runtime curve is actually FLAT

hopkins

Enlightened
wonder if there's a parallel universe where they have really bright flashlights
that burn for weeks and this question was never asked in the 'parallel CPF'?

Make a note that if your flashlite goes out and you need light there's this
phenon called FIRE...