Pelican 1910 and 1920 AAA lights to get brighter and have dual modes

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the Pelican 1910 LED about a year ago, and it is definitely my favorite EDC carry light at the moment, and has been since I first opened it. This impressive flashlight got me addicted to flashlights, and got me thinking there has to be something else out there that is better. So far, I haven't found anything comparable with the power, ease of use, and durability that this little light provides. I use this light five (or more) days a week for my job which involves servicing appliances, which involves going into attics, crawling under houses, and looking into all sorts of dark areas (I also frequently work at night). Having to use the light dozens of times daily for short periods of time, the momentary on function is a must have, and the simplicity of only two modes is great, as I don't need a moonlight or strobe function for my purposes. For being a single AAA flashlight, it is slightly "bulky" in diameter compared to other AAA lights, but I love how it feels in my hand, and the smooth, but easily grippable design, is also nice.

The only downside of this powerful little light is that the battery life is not all that extensive, especially when exclusively used on the high setting. I have recently been using the low setting almost exclusively, which lasts much longer, and I have been going through less than half as many batteries as I did previously. I have a tool bag in which I always keep a pack of 4 AAA batteries, so I can easily pop a new battery in as needed.

I have other lights that I carry with me, but this is the one I have always thrown the others aside to use. I have dropped it countless times, used it in rainy/wet environments, and it still works like the day I opened it. I have recently purchased about a dozen other types of flashlights in search of a more powerful flashlight (I have been feeling the need to have the most powerful flashlight for some reason the past few months...), most of which operate on one or two AA or AAA batteries, but nothing feels comfortable in my hand and has is as easy to use as this light.

I am still in the hunt for a small AAA or AA light that can outperform this one (not ready to make the jump to CR123A's just yet, but it is most likely bound to happen one of these days). If anyone else has or knows about any other lights with similar/better functionality in their opinion, I would love to hear about it!

Aaron

jlomein

Enlightened
I am still in the hunt for a small AAA or AA light that can outperform this one (not ready to make the jump to CR123A's just yet, but it is most likely bound to happen one of these days).

AAA suggestion: Inova XP. Slightly higher high, longer runtime, very short for 2xAAA, better clip, thinner, and momentary switch.

BTW, I just recently switched from CR123 (Sunwayman V10R Ti or Surefire EB2) to AAA for EDC. Give up a lot in output and runtime, but I've found AAA acceptable in performance so far, and comfort/ease of carry is much better.

I've been liking the 1910b a lot. Feels like a quality light and the switch has the right pressure. Can't believe I'm getting higher output on the 1910b than some early luxeon/cree 2xCR123 lights I bought years ago.

Few negatives on the 1910b: it's practically as thick as a slim AA size light. The low mode is too bright for a lot of tasks. The pocket clip is designed for thin shirt pocket carry, and is difficult to clip quickly to thick material on pants.

Overall in casual wear I've been carrying the 1910 half the time, and the Inova XP the other half. In suits I carry the slimmer Lumapower Avenger RX.

Last edited:

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
You are definitely right about the pocket clip being for shirt pockets. I have used mine exclusively in a shirt pocket and it has been perfect, but clipping onto a thicker fabric would pose a problem with the clip being pretty tight, and not very deep.

Thanks for the recommendations! I just did some research on the Inova XP, and will most likely order one before the weekend is over :) out of curiosity, how difficult is it to work with the end-cap lock-out mode? In order to keep the light on without holding the button down, you have to twist the end-cap a certain way? I haven't had any flashlights with that feature before. Does it function to keep it off when not in use, and on when in use? Sorry if this is a question answered elsewhere.

As for the Lumapower, I will have to look into that one also.

Thanks again.

jlomein

Enlightened
Inova XP... out of curiosity, how difficult is it to work with the end-cap lock-out mode? In order to keep the light on without holding the button down, you have to twist the end-cap a certain way?

For constant on high: twist the tail clockwise. For constant on low: twist on, twist off, then quickly twist on again. Operates just like a twisty light. My XP allows for very easy twisting and a low travel distance for the twist to on.

For lockout (disabling the momentary button), twist a half turn counterclockwise.

The XP momentary button requires a very firm hold, significantly more than using momentary on the Pelican 1910. My thumb gets tired after 15-20 seconds. If you don't hold it firmly, you will find it constantly switching from high to low by accident.

Compared to the 1910, the XP is thinner, nearly as short, and has a more versatile clip for shirt or pants. Clip solidly attached on the body, not loose at all. Hotspot is more floody than 1910.

I wouldn't recommend the Lumapower Avenger RX unless you need an extremely thin light, or enjoy four modes. I find the many modes too superfluous, two is enough.

Last edited:

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
Well, I figured I'd give an update: I have been carrying the Inova XP for EDC at work for the last two weeks. The operation definitely took some getting used to, and the momentary is difficult to keep pushed, as you mentioned, so it seems to always go back and forth between the two settings when trying to keep it pushed down manually, and not twisting it down. I find that sometimes it is difficult to switch settings from high to low or vice versa, as sometimes it will flicker to the setting you want, go off, then come back on in the setting you were in initially.

All in all, I love the increased output, the nice beam pattern, and the simplicity of the two modes. Thanks again for the recommendation; it definitely wasn't on my radar!

Now I'm considering purchasing a Pelican 1920 model, seeing as a 2xAAA seems to fit in a shirt pocket just as well as a 1xAAA, and increases output and runtimes. Flashlights will be the death of my wallet...

Aaron

Last edited:

jlomein

Enlightened
Now I'm considering purchasing a Pelican 1920 model, seeing as a 2xAAA seems to fit in a shirt pocket just as well as a 1xAAA, and increases output and runtimes. Flashlights will be the death of my wallet...

Aaron

Yeah I have the same problems with the Inova XP but it still has enough positives for me that I rotate it almost 50/50 with the Pelican 1910.

If you're buying the 1920 just keep in mind it's longer and thicker than the Inova XP. A great helpful CPF member took this photo:

penlights7.jpg

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
Awesome. Thanks for that. I just got the Pelican 1920, it definitely is a LONG light (especially comparing it to the 1910!), but I like it a lot so far. The momentary on is great, and I like the beam's strong focus, yet still having a decent spill. The extra thickness is also acceptable for my work shirt's pen pocket, so that's nice. It doesn't feel as heavy as the Inova, in my experience of pulling it out of my pocket and using it for brief moments (that could be off, but it's just a feel thing while in operation).

Not to say I don't like the Inova, I have just purchased an Inova XS that shipped yesterday. I am looking forward to adding it to my collection, and possibly keeping it on a belt loop or something like that, if its size permits.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican Products web pages for their 1AAA 1910 and 2AAA 1920 lights are now showing both models as having 2 brightness levels:

- 1910 model: 72 and 14 lumens

- 1920 model: 120 and 12 lumens

It is now 2-1/2 years later and Pelican has once again updated the specifications of their 1910 (1AAA) and 1920 (2AAA) pen lights:

1910 model: 106 and 21 lumens

1920 model: 224 and 22 lumens

ncgrass

Enlightened
Had a bad experience with the 1910. It started acting up less then a week after I bought it for a friend. Lost a mode and had such short run time.

I was disappointed due to the format of them and it's pelican. I might have to get another one just to be sure!

BadVlad

Newly Enlightened
Had a bad experience with the 1910. It started acting up less then a week after I bought it for a friend. Lost a mode and had such short run time.

I was disappointed due to the format of them and it's pelican. I might have to get another one just to be sure!
Another bad experience here with new 1910!
I've been pleased with first generation of this model and bought third generation last week at local MEC store.
Light malfunctioned few times and I assumed it has to do with supplied Energizer battery. Installed NiMH, but it kept leaving me in dark. Today I finally replaced it, only to have it dead again after nightfall even though this new light was tested by customer service before I left the store...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Well, I have had my eye on the 2xAAA 1920 for years now, so finally pulled the trigger @ $25 shipped (eB).

My trusty ~10yr Fenix LD01 / Streamlight Stylus Pro has been MIA all week, and I can't seem enjoy life as much without having a penlight handy. :-/

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The 1920 throws like a 2aa light trapped in a 2aaa light body. It's the most outdoor oriented 2aaa light I've used.
The original Streamlight Stylus Pro exhibited the same behavior from its ~21 lumens back in the day - tiny emitter & rather deep reflector. Even the Fenix LD01 head I swapped onto its 2xAAA body was a little throwy with its XR-E & optic, so I applied diffusion film on the lens to diffuse it a bit. If this 1920 is comparable in that way, I could always do the same thing.

WDR65

Enlightened
The original Streamlight Stylus Pro exhibited the same behavior from its ~21 lumens back in the day - tiny emitter & rather deep reflector. Even the Fenix LD01 head I swapped onto its 2xAAA body was a little throwy with its XR-E & optic, so I applied diffusion film on the lens to diffuse it a bit. If this 1920 is comparable in that way, I could always do the same thing.

You could do that but if you're looking for something with more flood than a Preon P2 mkIII might work. While I don't have one I have several of the MKII version and they offer a more diffuse beam with similar output.

Another option though slightly less bright is the Pelican 5000 which has a pretty neat slide to adjust beamshape. No Maglite like twisting, just a simple slide in and out. The beam is pretty smooth with a good flood when dialed out. Compared to the 1920 it has a reverse clicky instead of a forward. On the plus side the 5000 has a battery level indicator light on the tail switch.

I do own all three (well, the Preon P2 MKII instead of the III) and prefer the 1920. The forward clicky, further throw and simple two mode UI make it my favorite though the others are no slouches.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thx for the input, but this wonderful thread is an official 'no reverse-clicky' zone; the Streamlight SP & these Pelicans are a haven from that madness. ;)

Last edited: