Perfect Mag Reflector: Cammed Version?

Mike451

Newly Enlightened
Hello Otokoyama,

Thank you for considering producing these fine reflectors! I'm interested in 2 of the "orange peel" cammed versions.

BTW, I received my camless reflector yesterday. It is absolutely outstanding!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My only regret is that I did not order more of these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Thanks,
Mike

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oto,

I would like two cammed orange-peel reflectors.

A question:
I know that there are heavy, medium, and light orange-peel versions. Am I correct in assuming that you are talking about the heavy version?

Paul

Otokoyama

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:... heavy, medium, and light orange-peel versions. Am I correct in assuming that you are talking about the heavy version?

[/ QUOTE ]These will be the light stipple. Though I will eventually examine the others out of curiosity, when I first tried the light stipple, I thought they were just "perfect", and never bothered with the medium and heavy.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I have one of each and like what the heavy stipple does, but have not yet done my homemade mod on the light stipple to check it out. I'll get to work on it and see if the light stipple will meet my needs.

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be in for 1 or 2 stippled/orange peel. Any grade is fine.

Wilkey

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Something to factor in to your purchase decision: Please note the post from shankus in the Camless Version thread. He has determined that the relatively inexpensive Krylon-sputtered stock Mag reflector diffuses artifacts well, "throws" farther, and is of course relatively inexpensive.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have experimented with the sputtering. With some practice on plastic drinking glasses, I found that I could do a pretty good job of stippling my Mag reflectors. And I was able to partially sputter them (using masking tape), applying the clear Krylon only near the center of the reflector. I found this to be a superior way of keeping the hotspot small while still reducing artifacts.

For high wattage applications (more than 10 watts or so), I recommend the aluminum reflectors. Once I did a run-time test with a Carley 612 bulb. I ran it at 7.5 volts and 1.88 amps (inital values). That's 14 watts. The light got so hot that I decided to turn it off temporarily at the 15 minute mark. When I was through, I found that the plastic Mag reflector had clouded up around the edges. In addition, there had been bubbling of the reflector near the center just above the bulb. The reflector was still useable, and I could detect no degradation of the beam, but this was not a good sign. I don't know what would have happened if I had not turned it off at 15 minutes.

I like the Carley reflectors. The orange peel versions make the light seem more like a SureFire. The light is more pleasing than when using even the best of my sputtered Mag reflectors. Of course, that is only opinion.

I've never tried Otokoyama's cammed reflector, but it appears to combine the best features of the Mag and the Carley reflectors. So I'm going to get some to try.

Paul

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find out the price break points for the reflectors. I bet some people would order a few extra just to get over the hurdle. If you were close to a break point, I can tell you that I would be willing to buy a few more to put you over the top.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I haven't totalled all of the tentative orders yet, but I believe we're around 75. I believe there's a price break around 100, and I don't mind investing a bit to get costs down. I assume that over time I'll be able to sell any extras.

I've completed engineering diagrams of the various options, and will email that to Carley tonight. I expect to have quotes on the various options, make some choices, and start the real offer by Friday, getting the final order in by Tuesday October 14th.

I'm guessing that the most cost effective approach will be a removable cam held in place with a set screw.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Well, all I got to say is I was the recent recipient of a couple of UN-cammed Orange Peel reflectors from Otok's first batch.

After testing them in my Space Needle II, all I could do afterwards was look at myself in the mirror and say:

"ORANGE" you smart for getting these? heh, heh...

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if you give to the end of the month, if you can get more people on board. Maybe some people will want a few more by then. Maybe someway get to 100

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put the non-cammed version in an ElektroLumens Cyan 5W 12.72K lux M@g Mod.

Cyans are known to have emphasis on articfacts. This painfully bright light has a hot spot that looks like a green rose when shined at a white wall 30' away.

After putting the OP PMR NC in it there are no artifacts at all and the hotspot's real estate is adjustable.

Freaking Amazing.

I would like to see a beamshot from an SNII using an OP PMR.

It occured to me that, even though the non-cammed OP PMR wasn't designed for it, I could still get an idea of how it would work in a tweaked M@g 3D. This 3D is just a 7.5 volt bulb using non-modded 3toDs at 9V but with heavy "natural" resistance. It has all the well known artifacts it did when it was off the shelf. It's just brighter and whiter.

So a dropped the OP PMR NC in the tweaked M@g incan without bezel and dialed it in.

Freaking Amazing.

I've never seen a M@g genning a white light with no articifacts before.

If Otokoyama decides to build these there are going to be a bunch of happy CPRers.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
This is what I hope it looks like:
CammedPerfect.gif

but due to my (and probably everyone's) desire to keep the cost as low as possible, this prototype is what it will probably look like:
MagAlCam.jpg

The quote request has been submitted to Carley.

NewsFlash

Enlightened
As long as the performance is as desired, I'm okay with the looks on the inside of the flashlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Latest posts