Phillips 5761 in M6

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol...

I had to ask man.... Was getting excited there...

These still available?
52mm Extension tube $32 (AVAILABLE)
6x17670 battery holder $39 (AVAILABLE) with purchase of tube

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you got the PhD-M6 you should probably be looking into some 16650 cells - they have them in 2500mAh capacity. You can safely run the 5761 with the PhD-M6 as your regulator so you don't Poof bulbs.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
10-4,

I'll do that...

I have a set of them for my littler 2 x CR123 lights that they work with.

But I didn't realize they would fit in place of a 17670...

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
So now that I have a PhD-M6 coming and an extra M6 to run it in.

Someone has confirmed that the 16650 Keeppower cells do fit and work in it correct?

Thanks gang. I am so looking forward to this one.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same carrier and I use the exact same batteries. The M6 can't physical fit 3 18650s no matter what, if not imagine the possibilities

Minimoog

Enlightened
Just out of interest, why are other bulbs other than the MN20 and MN21 being used? I have an M6 (purchaced in 2006) and with the 2x18650 adaptor I think the beam and output is great with the 250 Lumen bulb - but maybe it is improved with other options? Shame I will never see for myself as all are unobtanium...

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few reasons:
- cost - the MN21 bulbs are not cheap to replace at $25-30 each.
- fun factor - it's always fun to push the envelope
- support for rechargeable cells - 2x18650 does push a MN21 pretty hard and there is better LiIon support with some of these other bulbs.

I think most of it comes from around the time I joined CPF, and earlier, when LEDs just didn't have enough oomph to put out more than 100 lumens. Incan was still the way to go for 1,000+ lumens. Not so much now when you can get a 3-4,000 lumen thrower for around $200 with 5x the runtime of any of these incan setups.

I won't say they are dead, as FM, myself and others are incan lovers, but they have more limited appeal in the marketplace with the sheer number of powerful LED options available.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run the M3T MN15 with my 2 x 18650 and love it. Just a great around the house light. Not gonna lie though, I sure wish someone would make an easy kit to get a McClicky into my M6 tail cap! I need two as I also have an M6 with one of the LF 3 mode XP-G2 Warm LED towers in it and I could really use a click type interface on it.

Looking forward to the pack showing up and getting the 5761 back in an M6.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW used to make a conversion part for the M6 switch that would take either a McClicky or his SoftStart. I owned one years back and it was a great upgrade. I haven't seen one posted in years so it would be a hard search.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I may be starting another WTB thread, lol...

I don't need the softstart part just want a clicky bad in the three mode tower M6...

skillet

Enlightened
I sure wish someone would make an easy kit to get a McClicky into my M6 tail cap! I need two as I also have an M6 with one of the LF 3 mode XP-G2 Warm LED towers in it and I could really use a click type interface on it. .

Lighthound sold that kit back in the day. I have one in my M6. It is a great upgrade! No idea where to come by those now.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other option is the extended tailcap 2x26500 option from FM. That supports a Clicky but you'll need to purchase a new battery type.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
26500 batteries don't make much sense these days. Nobody or at least hardly anybody produces them (=> expensive).
If you use a PHD-M6, I would recommend using IMR (17670) batteries, which are available now (not back then). Efest has some for example. I've read posts in the past of people who used AW 17670s at 2C and above. They mentioned greatly reduced lifetimes of the cells.

Currently the best 18650s performance-wise for medium to high-current applications (best combination of high capacity and high voltage under load) are the Samsung INR18650-30Q. They are much better than the 18650s from 5+ years ago. As far as I know they are only available without protection though. See here for a comparison between unprotected Samsung 30Qs and unprotected Sanyo UR18650FM (standard cell a few years ago). Please click on "5A" at the bottom to see the correct curves. Ignore the capacity and the obviously miscalculated Wh-measuremenmts in the table at the bottom and just look at the "area under the curve" in the graph. Thats a big improvement!

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a strong performer,

Thanks for the link. The inter activeness of the site it pleasing also.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Resurrecting this thread. The previous posts mention that the Philips 5761 draws 5.4A and it will not work correctly with protected 18650. Is this true even for high capacity 3500+ mAh batteries? Most of them have 10A maximum draw, so this should be totally okay? :shrug:
The 5761 is cheap and easy to get anywhere.

Edit: For example - Nitecore has a new 3500 mAh protected cell that supports 8A continous draw.

Last edited: