Pocket carry defense unit about 5" with batteries for CA teacher and traveler

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the flashlight The Surefire EDCL1T and EDCL2T are very good, as is the Elzetta Bravo with a hi/low tailcap. Or the Surefire Tactician, but I would replace his twist tailcap with a snap tailcap - a whole wall of light, you can see everything for the next 8-10 meters. The Eagletac T25C2 is also very good with the swivel head.

Confucius say; if you carry a baseball bat around in your truck for reasons other than hitting balls...
Then make sure you also carry baseballs!
Good advice, but why use a baseball bat when you can carry a tire iron? There is a light titanium crowbar or an ax handle (that is, with the head removed, but it is also advisable to keep this head nearby)

Or there are canes, also made of titanium, they are light and can be used as a club. A friend of mine in New York fought off a couple of very vicious dogs that got loose chain and ran out into the street. They cannot grab the metal with their teeth and tear it out of their hands.
Unfortunately, at that time he did not have a pepper spray or a stun gun with him. They are extremely effective against animals, with the sound of a stun gun, most scatter in all directions, like cockroaches.

1654182597316.png

1654182604915.png

1654183722992.png

Some people carry plumbing hoses with them, but this requires some preparation, flexible tools are of little use without skill, and this is not at all recommended.
1654183273334.png

Together with them it is best to use good pliers. The best are knipex, the jaws always remain parallel and do not spoil the beautiful chrome nuts.

1654183519128.png

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, you can just throw a flashlight at an intruder, and while the flashlight flies at him, run away. Maybe a gift in the form of a good flashlight will be enough for him.

Sergey, even with transaction malfunction you got me laughing!

I am afraid to ask where the hoses go.. lol

Hoses for sink or toilet repair :)

fulee9999

Enlightened
About the flashlight The Surefire EDCL1T and EDCL2T are very good, as is the Elzetta Bravo with a hi/low tailcap. Or the Surefire Tactician, but I would replace his twist tailcap with a snap tailcap - a whole wall of light, you can see everything for the next 8-10 meters. The Eagletac T25C2 is also very good with the swivel head.

Good advice, but why use a baseball bat when you can carry a tire iron? There is a light titanium crowbar or an ax handle (that is, with the head removed, but it is also advisable to keep this head nearby)

Or there are canes, also made of titanium, they are light and can be used as a club. A friend of mine in New York fought off a couple of very vicious dogs that got loose chain and ran out into the street. They cannot grab the metal with their teeth and tear it out of their hands.
Unfortunately, at that time he did not have a pepper spray or a stun gun with him. They are extremely effective against animals, with the sound of a stun gun, most scatter in all directions, like cockroaches.

View attachment 28389
View attachment 28390
View attachment 28396

Some people carry plumbing hoses with them, but this requires some preparation, flexible tools are of little use without skill, and this is not at all recommended.
View attachment 28392

Together with them it is best to use good pliers. The best are knipex, the jaws always remain parallel and do not spoil the beautiful chrome nuts.

View attachment 28393

I like how you went from flashlight talk to legal advice to self defense to plumbing talk to tools all in one go! :D

Also I gotta agree, I have three different sizes of those knipex pliers and they are the bees knees, you can really tug on them without marring or destroying whatever you're tightening.

Now that I think of it, you could also carry around a HandToolRescue wrench, it's more than a kilogram ( or almost three pounds ) of steel, and it works almost as good as the knipex:

1654186705152.png

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's better not to get into such situations. The idea of running away and kicking the pursuer is pretty good, as I see people have been using it for a long time, but you have to keep yourself in good physical shape.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best flashlight for self defense is gonna be the longest & heaviest you're comfortable carrying around & that's sturdy enough to use as a truncheon. Strobes & strike bezels are gimmicks. A weapon should be a good force multiplier and ideally should extend your reach. That's why a poleaxe is a better weapon then a dagger & why a Maglite 6D a better self defense tool then a surefire defender.

DRW

Enlightened
... a Maglite 6D a better self defense tool ...
Way back, when I attended Police Academy, they said using a flashlight as an impact weapon will get you sued for sure. Use a PR-24 instead, we'll show you how...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Do they make steel yard sticks?
I have an alluminum yard stick……

Don't know if Gene still shows it on his site but he used to state a few words indicating about how many yards his certain modules were an effective deterent. As I recall his distances were pretty conservative but far enough to buy some flee time.

The time the policeman zapped me from a few feet away with a 6P in daylight (as a demonstration) had me incapacitated long enough for the average person to get quite a distance away, and that was daytime. He explained to me after that there may be a situation where a perp managed to get inside his 3 foot circle so he needed to know how to gain some time to react. I ordered my first 6P that afternoon.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming we're talking about actual lumens and not the ridiculous industry standard of measuring output at the emitter before everything else is screwed on. Thus reducing actual output by 1/3. But for the sake of marketing, it's the emitter lumens that get reported by almost all flashlight makers.

Monocrom -

This is not strictly 'on' the topic of this thread (which I don't specifically wish to address), but one small correction is in order just for clarity.

To the best of my knowledge, most of the 'better' manufacturers test and document output to PLATO/ANSI FL1 standards (and that is not limited to PLATO member companies), and test and rate their lumen output ratings OTF (out the front), not bare emitter. Some may provide both 'emitter / LED' and 'OTF' (normally referenced as "FL1") ratings (such as Eagtac, for example), but I'm fairly certain all FL1-compliant output ratings are 'OTF' as a requirement. There are some (perhaps many now) manufacturers who do not provide FL1-compliant specs and ratings, but I stay away from them for (hopefully) obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, some things need correcting. Do not throw something used as a weapon at a bad guy. At the very least, a flashlight or tool owned by you might be used against the next victim. It can also be thrown back or used against you. They might just go to the cops and have you arrested for assault since you gave them the evidence. Rule number one with weapons. Treat the weapon like an extension of your body. You don't rip your arm off and throw it at the bad guy. Don't throw your weapon away either. It will be used against you. Second, carrying random plumbing tools and parts around in the event you might get attacked is going to slow you down and prevent your escape. It's just silly. Third, if you're going to learn how to use a weapon, start basic with something hard to ban. Escrima sticks are the best weapon to start training with. It's hard to ban a stick, and you can find something like a stick just about anywhere if you're resourceful. This means you don't have to walk around carrying a weapon all the time and risk getting in trouble for doing so. Please stop telling people to carry around random crap for self defense when they have no idea what to do with it. Here's a video of what kind of damage you can do with a couple sticks.

Samkochel

Newly Enlightened
California law bases a lot of weapons on intent. If you have a keychain kubotan and ever only use it as a keychain, you're fine. If you use it for a weapon, it's considered a baton, a deadly weapon, and you can get three years in prison. I'd rather have a knife that has uses as a tool that can be justified in carrying and gives a bit more extension for a self defense weapon. There was a case in California where someone carried around a bike chain and lock but didn't have a bike. When a cop asked him what it was for, he said self defense. He was arrested for possession of a slungshot. If you carry around something for self defense in California, you better have an alternative use you can claim it's for to keep you out of trouble. The state does not acknowledge your right to self defense. By the way, I am a 5th degree black belt and was a Master Instructor in Tang Soo Do with 21 years experience in the art. I know a little something about self defense. Just so you know, MMA sucks. It only works one on one and ends up in a ground fight. The last place you want to be is on the ground. In real life, once you have your opponent on the ground, his three buddies are still standing up kicking you in the head. Remember, when you get in a fight with someone, everybody has a buddy. In real life things aren't fair and you have to adapt to that. In Tang Soo Do, on the other hand, we avoid the ground and specialize in fighting multiple attackers at once. We line them up so we only have to fight one at a time, keeping them in front. You never want to let them surround you, let alone get you on the ground. You see MMA fighters spar one on one. I was used to sparring three on one no problem. For sparring we would get everyone in a large circle and give everyone numbers. People got rotated in and out of the center to spar when their number was called. Sometimes you were sparring several people. At the end, it was usually all the numbers called sparring against me.

As for the light, if a Fenix PD36 TAC doesn't work (too big?), the PD35 V3.0 should do.
I found your reply pretty compelling, thanks you made some good points to consider.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would not let an attacker get close enough to need to use the crenellations of a flashlight like a kubaton. That would be a very, very last desperate thing to resort to. Instead, give them one swift kick between the legs or a front snap kick or side kick to push them away and then run. Once you let them get in that close, you'll be using your knees and elbows to strike, also poking out their eyes and going for the throat. Close quarter combat is extremely fast paced and if you aren't already well trained, you're probably dead by then. If you're tied up fighting one in close and there are other attackers, you're done. You'll get hit from behind while fighting the one. Again, if you have multiple attackers, and you let them get in close range to surround you or get you on the ground, you lose. A kubaton or crenalated flashlight requires you let them get close to use it. Do you see the problem?
I'd normally agree. Main issue is, so many folks are completely oblivious to their surrounds; that someone targeting them is just going to get close to them before they even realize the brown stuff has hit the fan. Not a question of letting someone get close. For many, they just don't pay attention and it happens. Individuals such as you and I would never let that happen. The average person asking for defensive recommendation? Completely different story.