Post your Damascus, mokume gane, etc. lights!

An updated photo of my collection of Nucleus lights and holders. My photo doesn't really do justice to the details of lights like the Timascus and anodized lights on the far left, front row. But if you've seen George's much better photos you know how beautiful the lights are.

You have some, that even I don't have:) You coupd almost open a Nucleus dealership! Your BeCu will be shipped early next week.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
841f77d8eaef69e24ea54306e6dc94b9.jpg

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brat, That looks like it's time for you to pass it along to someone else.....like me

not quite yet. This is sort of my beater now since the clip mod did not go as well as the copper one did. my 2 most carried right now are this, and my Sigma Copper 18500.
although recently my most used is a ZL H603W since I've been working a lot on vehicles...

This dragon also has a different engine build. Still Chris' FET driver, but I put in a Nichia 219B triple... :thumbsup:
and never having had one of these apart before, the heatsink is great. nice and large... good since the damascus heats up fast...
you will also notice that the glow epoxy is gone... in my attempts to soften it a bit to achieve better results tapping, I cooked it out....

will be interesting to see how this finish holds up. it's supposedly not as durable as regular hot or cold bluing, but seems pretty decent so far for flashlight usage.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
An updated photo of my collection of Nucleus lights and holders. My photo doesn't really do justice to the details of lights like the Timascus and anodized lights on the far left, front row. But if you've seen George's much better photos you know how beautiful the lights are.

You have some, that even I don't have:) You coupd almost open a Nucleus dealership! Your BeCu will be shipped early next week.

LOL.

At this point the little Nucleus lights are among my few really high end collections, along with my Luter and Tain lights.

phosphor22

Enlightened
The Nucleus is a little gem! those are some beauties, magallan - the dama and mokuti esp.
I wear my brass one a lot and it is slowly developing a subtle patina.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
The Nucleus is a little gem! those are some beauties, magallan - the dama and mokuti esp.

I wear my brass one a lot and it is slowly developing a subtle patina.

I think I could bring myself to EDC the brass. But the Dam, Tim, and MG are just too rare and valuable to EDC, so they'll always be shelf queens.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
With the arrival of a new TnC Ultra Turbo mokume gane (bottom row, third from the right), an updated photo of my mokume and Timascus lights along with some of my other interesting and/or rare lights, especially my Photon Fanatic lights.

http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/magellan500/media/IMG_5295_zpsiwo36821.jpg.html

Top row, left to right:

Photon Fanatic Tasklight CR2
Photon Fanatic Nautilus Titanium CR123A
Photon Fanatic Double Grooved Titanium CR123A
Photon Fanatic Double Grooved Titanium DLC CR123A
Bitz Grade 5 Titanium CR123A
Arc6 CR123A
Mac alumibronze 1 of 1 18350
McGizmo Lunasol 20 CR123A
Mac Knurly brass 1 of 1
Mr. Bulk brass Dragonheart 1 of 20 18500

Bottom row, left to right:

Sinner Opus CR123A
TnC Micro Lux Dragon 10440
Photon Fanatic custom 3-layer mokume CR123A
Photon Fanatic Kuukuu etched and polished 10440
Photon Fanatic KuuKuu etched 10440
Muyshondt Aeon III CR2
TnC Extreme Micro Turbo Dragon CR2
Muyshondt Aeon III Timascus CR2
Photon Fanatic custom mokume etched CR2

Last edited:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the arrival of a new TnC Ultra Turbo mokume gane (bottom row, third from the right), an updated photo of my mokume and Timascus lights along with some of my other interesting and/or rare lights, especially my Photon Fanatic lights.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/magellan500/IMG_5295_zpsqmuxrufo.jpg

Top row, left to right:

Photon Fanatic Tasklight CR2
Photon Fanatic Nautilus Titanium CR123A
Photon Fanatic Double Grooved Titanium CR123A
Photon Fanatic Double Grooved Titanium DLC CR123A
Bitz Grade 5 Titanium CR123A
Arc6 CR123A
Mac alumibronze 1 of 1 18350
McGizmo Lunasol 20 CR123A
Mac Knurly brass 1 of 1
Mr. Bulk brass Dragonheart 1 of 20 18500

Bottom row, left to right:

Sinner Opus CR123A
TnC Micro Lux Dragon 10440
Photon Fanatic custom 3-layer mokume CR123A
Photon Fanatic Kuukuu etched and polished 10440
Photon Fanatic KuuKuu etched 10440
Muyshondt Aeon III CR2
TnC Extreme Micro Turbo Dragon CR2
Muyshondt Aeon III Timascus CR2
Photon Fanatic custom mokume etched CR2

Although I think I've said it before, what a collection Magellan! Mind sharing some feedback and more pics of the new Mokume Extreme Micro Dragon TnC? I have one in EN AL on the way and couldn't be more excited.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Sure. Here are a few more comments on both lights.

But first, congrats on getting the EN aluminum model. At 1000 lumens on high, this little light is a rocket! I also have the Extreme Micro Turbo in EN AL, and brass. Wish they made one in copper. They're nice little lights too and at 700 lumens on high very impressive also.

Beam-wise these lights are good throwers and have more throw than spill. The CR2 Dragon was also offered in a mule version but the website says it's out and can't be back-ordered. I would have ordered one of those too if it was still available, but I'm happy with the throw head version, and prefer that.

These lights should use IMR or lithium manganese oxide batteries rather than ICR or lithium cobalt oxide batteries due to their high draw from the small CR2 and 10440 size batteries. The website sells the Efest IMR's which I've gotten good service from.

But getting onto the Turbo Dragon 10440, which is the one you're getting, it is a very tactile light. As I said in the Muyshondt thread, I just use it occasionally around the house as it's too pretty for EDC, but sometimes I just take it out of its protective sleeve and absentmindedly fondle it as I'm watching TV or whatever as the weight of the copper and the texture of the Dragon body machining feel really good in the hand.

The threads are also very smooth, but as mokume gane is mostly copper you'd expect that, especially compared to titanium, which can be a bit gritty. Just be careful threading the head back on due to the softer mokume gane vs. titanium.I'll see about posting a few more pics of the Dragon. It definitely one of my favorite lights.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I just noticed something in the photos. The new CR2 Dragon has a slightly rosier tint than the 10440 Dragon, which is more orangish. But whatever they are, they're both beautiful.

I'd luv a smooth body version which would show off the grain better. I asked about it but was told it's not in the works.

Toolboxkid

Enlightened
Very interested in the tnc turbo dragon. Does anyone know what color temp the xpl-hi led is?

Toolboxkid

Enlightened
Can anyone tell me what color temp the micro dragon XPL HI uses? Very interested in this light but have not seen much info yet on the web.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Can anyone tell me what color temp the micro dragon XPL HI uses? Very interested in this light but have not seen much info yet on the web.

I'm no expert on color/temperature readings but I have a lot of TnC lights (I have all nine of the small lights or pocket models), and unless the description on the webpage says you're getting a high CRI light (which you can select in the case of the Nanolux models), you can figure they're at least neutral white. I'm sure you've already noticed that. But TnC models like the Extreme Microlux, Extreme Micro Turbo, the two new Dragon models at 700 and 1000 lumens on max, are sort of designed to be "hot-rodded" a bit so I myself prefer a neutral to cool white LED to get the most lumens. Not that lumens are the whole story of course, but the these lights are fun to blow away non flashaholics who've never seen a little CR2, 10280, or or 10440 size flashlight easily light up a whole garage sized room. As the website says, these lights are not for children due to their extreme thermal characteristics, and the fact most are direct drive on high and so are only for knowledgeable or hobbyist level users. For example, IMR instead of ICR batteries are recommended for their high draw capability. I always buy the copper and brass models instead of titanium for their superior heat dissipation (although the stainless is fine, just not optimal). Just my two cents; others mileage may vary. Whichever one you choose, best of luck and have fun!

Last edited: