Primary vs. Rechargeable. What's in your HDS?

What's your preferred power source?

• CR123: Cost of operation? I've got that in my front pocket.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • 16340: Go green!

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • 18650: Size matters!

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • 2AA: I sometimes stir paint with my flashlight.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk to me sir. I thought a single cr123 light shouldn't be an issue safety wise?
You know that CR123A batteries can actually be more dangerous than rechargeables, right ? Although in a single battery light, the risk is next to 0 if you use quality batteries.

Lithium466

Enlightened
A quality CR123A used in a mono battery light like the HDS is perfectly safe (of course if you use the light normally, don't discharge too fast, etc).

Put 2 CR123A of a different discharge state in a "powerful" light, and problems may happen (well, with quality batteries, shouldn't be a problem).

Rechargeables are more susceptibles of causing problems when recharges (but with a quality charger, no reason). Of course there are many things that could go bad with either rechargeables or primary, but seriously, with "modern" quality batteries & charger, and a HDS which is pretty conservative on it's discharge current, there shouldn't be any problem with either primary or rechargeable batteries.

(apparently CR123A contain some Lithium metal that can react more violently than the Lithium "ions" in rechargeables in case of unfortunate accident - to be verified).

GoVegan

Enlightened
I selected CR123, believe it or not.

I'm all for going green, heck I've been vegan for over 15 years for the environment and I've never owned a car as I'm generally of the opinion that most people don't need them, I'm in my 40's BTW).

However I had hoped to buy AW rechargeables, but due to the factory flooding last year we know that isn't going to be possible anymore. I don't trust any other brand (maybe if HDS makes some recommendations of their site).

But I carry a HDS for safety as I spend a lot of my time underground (train commute) and in high-rise buildings and live in an earthquake zone so I need a reliable EDC, so I'll stick with primary CR123 batteries for now at least. Besides I'm still on my first CR123 since April, and I use my light often, even on medium high sometimes. 7+ months on one battery isn't so bad for general EDC usage.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I selected CR123, believe it or not.

I'm all for going green, heck I've been vegan for over 15 years for the environment and I've never owned a car as I'm generally of the opinion that most people don't need them, I'm in my 40's BTW).

However I had hoped to buy AW rechargeables, but due to the factory flooding last year we know that isn't going to be possible anymore. I don't trust any other brand (maybe if HDS makes some recommendations of their site).

But I carry a HDS for safety as I spend a lot of my time underground (train commute) and in high-rise buildings and live in an earthquake zone so I need a reliable EDC, so I'll stick with primary CR123 batteries for now at least. Besides I'm still on my first CR123 since April, and I use my light often, even on medium high sometimes. 7+ months on one battery isn't so bad for general EDC usage.

Not sure where you are, I m guessing London. If yes then there is a company called Exposure (if you have a bike like the leg power kind) that do rechargeable rcr123's rated at I believe 700mah. Also nitecore does some good ones. I luckily have a few Aw s and unfortunately ran 2 down to 0% so don't know what that'll do to the battery life. I have keep power as well but they are a bit longer than the Exposures. Good thing about HDS is there is room for the different lengths. I do wish Henry would do a 18350 tail though. But only if the extra capacity in the 18350 would warrant a total redesign.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix and a few other brands are good as well. I use the Fenix and am happy with them.

However, I would jump on an 18350 tail. The increased capacity with the same length as the CR123 body would be perfect for my everyday light.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix and a few other brands are good as well. I use the Fenix and am happy with them.

However, I would jump on an 18350 tail. The increased capacity with the same length as the CR123 body would be perfect for my everyday light.

Maybe if there is enough interest hopefully it could help sway the bar towards the try something new side? 🤓

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
In one of other threads, Hugo mentioned that they are in the planning, but it will take a lot of time.
I like the cr123 size but not the capacity. I live in the city so there is a lot of light pollution so at times I use higher levels of light.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
7+ months on one battery isn't so bad for general EDC usage.

glad you have a setup you trust

I agree CR123 is a better choice for your use pattern
CR123 also has double the capacity of 16340, and a 10 year shelf life

16340 self discharges at about 3% per month

Primaries are also better for a light that is being stored for emergencies, and exposed to extreme temperatures, such as in a car.

I change my 16340 about every 4 days
for my use pattern, Rechargeables are more convenient for EDC
I like knowing I can leave home with a full charge every day if desired

either way
Im a fan of the little battery carriers that let me pocket a spare of either flavor
43537786871_30570da9d6_h.jpg

these holsters are cool to keep a spare handy too

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it's the not knowing how much charge i have in a Primary. If it had a meter on the side I'd know how much was in there, but once it's been used I have no idea. A freshly charged Li ion and i know it's full. I don't dispute that a Primary has more juice, but it would be such a waste to use it the way I use a Li ion - just take it out every evening and pop a new one in.
I have a few primaries in store, but they just don't get the use.
P

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here, I switch off between my 16340s and recharge it more often. when I need more capacity, I use the 18650. I save the cr123s for backup.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get the full charge advantage, but a fully charged RCR/16340 is really like a half dead primary.

true, however, I prefer to say the glass is Half Full.. LOL

I would think that depends on the capacity no?

fwiw, CR123 cells have a capacity range of 1300 to 1550 mAh
while 16340 cells have a capacity range of 550 to 700 mAh

so yes, a CR123 has at least double the total capacity of a 16340
BUT, CR123 cannot be recharged, so once we start using it, it is no longer twice as full as a freshly charged LiIon

no matter how I slice it, a backup battery, and or a backup battery stored in a backup light, is prudent, for my use pattern

2 examples of spare battery carriers :)
ND57oe2.jpg

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks
Both Henry and Hogo carry Ti S Mini's as battery/backups, I figured they must know something.

imo a Ti Battery carrier is a must have with the new Ti Rotary

Here is another Titanium Backup/Battery Carrier option, this time in twisty format:

here is another Ti battery carrier option

Here are a couple Old School Unobtanium, CR123/16340 battery carrier/backup lights
the diminutive Atom Twisty, and the Clicky Storm

pics are clickable links

One is None, Two is One....

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the flat top, unprotected 16340s from Efest fit the HDS? Or are they too short?
I only have the button top unprotected efests but they are still longer than a CR123 so I would be very surprised if the flat tops were too short.