Prometheus Lights: AAA Beta-QR LIVE on Kickstarter

Benjamin227

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Str8stroke. Can you comment on how the Permatex you recommend compares with Nano Oil or DeOxit Red for use on both the LD02/Beta combos and the stock Beta? I ask because I have the latter two on-hand and would rather use them out of convenience, but I'd be willing to go get Permatex if it has properties that the others don't that are desirable in this context. So far (I just got the light yesterday) I have lubed my CuBetaQR with a drop of 5-weight Nano Oil, which has made the threads a little smoother, but there is definitely still room for improvement. Perhaps it will take a bit of time for the threads to wear in or the oil to penetrate, or perhaps this is just the way it is with copper lights (this is my first Copper light so I'm not quite sure what to expect), or perhaps I'm not using the best available lube for this light. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Nano Oil or Reel (not real) :faint: butter on my knives & fishing gear.

Everyone has a opinion on this, but.......................Personally, I use the Permatex on my lights or anything with orings. The Permatex will not react with the Orings and cause damage, drying or swelling. Since permatex is mostly made of silicone like most orings. I have put the Nano oil on my lights, it made the threads feel horrible. I find, the Permatex makes them so much smoother. It also adds a additional water barrier. I have never tried the Nano Grease.
Another trick I do on my Ti & cheap aluminum lights is I use Stainless Steel wool and a soft copper brush on the threads. Working them ever so gently. Doing this carefully can make a world of difference. Then clean and permatex lube. Of course remove the Oring first. And for the Ti lights, I put masking tape around areas near by to keep any runaway damage from happening. lol
Of course this is all personal, but try it and tell me if you like that!! You can always play around and find what works best for you & your use.

Benjamin227

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Just struck out at Home Depot on the Permatex so I ordered online. Will let you know how it goes.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually get it from AutoZone. Even if it doesn't get you the results you desire. It has TONS of uses around the house. Especially if you own a boat. I also coat all my car battery terminals with it. Have a wall plug that is sticky? Tub drain that hangs up? Sticky blender switch? Sticky kitchen drawers? Garden hose hard to screw & unscrew or leaking where you screw it in? Just a few examples I have used it for. Don't get me going on the boat! lol.

Back on topic<> What version of the Beta do you have? Do you have the Kickstarter one? If so is your Quick Release loose or wobble? I have a oring fix for that.

Benjamin227

Newly Enlightened
No boat for me, but I'm always glad to add to my arsenal of stuff that can make me look (temporarily) like a genius around the house haha.

I have the v2 Beta. There is a very slight amount of play in the QR mechanism, but it doesn't bother me at all, nor do I find myself wanting to modify it. I can imagine the extra length of the Kickstarter version being a bother, but fortunately that's academic for me :). Once I got the hang of the twist-and-pull/push action needed to remove and attach the light (which took just a moment of practice) I found it really impressive how well it works.

One not-well-publicized feature of the Beta that I was happy to discover today is that a Chapstick cap diffuser fits perfectly. I like the idea of leaving this light by the nightstand with that on and having a moonlight-level "electric candle" ready for late night trips to the loo.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could someone please help me out with the measurements of the Beta with the clip only or at least without the QR as well as it´s diameter? I only found the length with the QR and would guess about 3" wih the clip.

Thanks
Eric

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could someone please help me out with the measurements of the Beta with the clip only or at least without the QR as well as it´s diameter? I only found the length with the QR and would guess about 3" wih the clip.

Thanks
Eric
I can when I get home to my calipers tonight

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
not real precise,but...
8.5mm diameter light only,
74.5mm long (light only). clip adds 2mm
clip and attachment alone 45mm
clip stands off from light about 5mm at the bottom

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a crazy idea. Now I need to find a spare clip somehow and tweak it to work. I can't get a Nitecore MT06 clip off. lol

5D1EB647-560D-4F35-9A36-2D81E5BC1665_zpst0bh0uhz.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

that pic makes me smile, looks like youve been having fun playing
maybe if you put it in the freezer you can get the clip off?

I would like to invite feedback on your impressions of the PWM of the Prometheus.
do you notice the PWM?
I do understand that PWM has more CRI at low levels, not judging, just curious to learn more
fwiw, Maratac Rev 3 is also a PWM circuit.. I have one coming. Do you also have one, can you compare and contrast?
I like your light :)

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I have handled 4 BetaQR lights and have never noticed any pulsing on the lower levels. I have not even heard the high frequency whine that some other lights exhibit.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a triple 219B Light?
Vinh makes several. You could but an Alpha and have Vinh mod it to a triple (or maybe quadruple) emitter.

I just had him put his DriverVN and a 4000k XM-L2 in my Alpha. 1,200 otf lumens or 1 otf lumen and lots of settings in between, in a warmer tint that I prefer over the Nichia.

3758eb6d03b2173a40c3676d102a8cac.jpg

cf28c2d9882419deb45a85f555089fb8.jpg

74aba6c98a5ca0ce560a6cc3413364aa.jpg

Latest posts