Question about the function of a DC charger...

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
I have a Streamlight Survivor with a DC fast charger. The charger has been wired into the vehicle so that its disconnected when the ignition is off. It seems, and a CPF search has repeated, that if the light is on the charger when the ignition is off it will discharge the battery. Currently it is connected to the wires that supply the 12v outlet. I don't want to go through the trouble of wiring the outlet so it is always on- one, because it is a rear socket, and two, because I am worried the car battery will drain with the charger wired to constant power. I read somewhere a diode can be placed somewhere that will solve the problem.

I don't want my light's (or car's) battery to drain while the ignition is off. Anyone have input as to what I should do? The vehicle is a 2011 Toyota 4Runner, so it has a decent battery.

Last edited:

JacobJones

Enlightened
How about putting a switch In the circuit between the battery and the charger so you can have it turned off whenever you want, one of those nice little chromed toggle switches perhaps

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
I have an SPDT switch on my front charger. It works like a charm, but it was extra wiring and another fuse. If I do it for the rear socket, I will have to run a ton of wire and yet another fuse, with a switch to think about.

I emailed Streamlight, but they haven't gotten back to me. If I can't find a good reason not to, I'll put in a diode. It should solve the problem of discharging when the ignition is off.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the input current on the charger, and how many amp-hours is the battery? I think that unless you're going without driving for weeks, you don't really have to worry about running down the battery. (Note that the input current is the maximum, so the charger just sitting idle with the pilot light on but not charging the flashlight will use much less current.)

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about the specs on the charger, but I called Streamlight and they told me most people wire the charger directly to the battery, that's what they recommend. I was told it will not drain the battery. So, I guess I'm running some new wire tomorrow!