Review: Fenix LD02 (XP-E2, 1x AAA, 100 lumens)

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Re: 10440's Someone in another thread tested this and it does work. Also many members here have been using the LD01 with 10440s for a long time (being reasonably careful with heat) so I'd be willing to bet that if you were careful it would be fine.

kj2 - Thanks for the review. In another thread somebody mentioned that the output in high mode dropped after three minutes. Did you notice any step downs in high mode and do you plan on doing any output/runtime tests?

kj2

Flashaholic
kj2 - Thanks for the review. In another thread somebody mentioned that the output in high mode dropped after three minutes. Did you notice any step downs in high mode and do you plan on doing any output/runtime tests?
The LD02 does step down after 3 minutes on high. I don't have the necessary equipment to test the runtime the right way. So I could only set it on, and watch for hours. Hope you can imagine, I don't have that many hours in a day ;)

Quality

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed that the step down info is already in your review. I should have noticed that.

I wonder where they are getting the 45 minute runtime for high mode if it steps down to medium? Seems like high should really be called "turbo".

Anyway a turbo mode on an AAA light is kind of cool.

Pila

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD02 vs Fenix E12 - measured and commented

LD02 and E12 have very similar beam profile, with LD02 having stronger and wider flood part (ring surrounding the hotspot, which are almost the same). I feel most people do not actually understand a difference between lumen and lux so I understand what they meant to say (commenting desired Lumen levels), but what they actually wrote makes absolutely no sense. I am willing to bet many "experts" will claim LD02 has 2-3 lumens instead of declared 8 lumens on Low because of that!

Without seeing the LD02 and E12 you could expect them to have the same low at 8 Lumens, mid would be visibly different (25 and 50 lummens) and High would be quite similar, bit stronger on the E12 (100 vs 130 Lumens). Well, if you take a look at the throw (or Lux) you should immediatelly realize they are nothing alike. The beam differs.

LD02 has a bit wider hotspot part of the beam than E12 (slightly) but it also throws more light outside the hotspot then E12. So, when you turn on LD02 (mid, 25 lumens) on a target it will have the same brightness as E12 on low (8 lumens)! I have measured (calculated from measured Lux, ANSI style): 18 meters throw on both lamps (78 and 82 Lux)!

When I change LD02 to Low (8 Lumens) it throws only 9 meters (21 Lux). Actually, I am typing this with the LD02 Low on my head, my keyboard is nicely lit. With E12 Low or LD02 Mod it glares uncomfortably.

LD02 High 100 Lumens measured short 36 meters (326 Lux) while E12 on High 130 lumens measured a reach of 74 meters (1360 Lux).

LD02 is perfect for EDC but not for main lamp. Its low is actually lower than any other light I have with 8 Lumens, and is soft and clean. LD02 Low is perfect for walking around a home or reading or doing something with your arms. You can walk with Low mode, but not in bad trail nor fast. LD02 Mid is excellent for walking, searching for cats and dogs (I look if any of our cats want to go home, they will be waiting somewhere in our yard, at distance 5 to 15 meters from the window, without any ambient light other than moonlight). On High, it will show nearby objects at 15 - 20 meters clearly lit.

E12 has strong Low, bit to strong for work at arms-lenght but acceptable. Perfect for walking, shows my yard and cats at 5-7 meters easily (in relatively low light since I do not want to annoy my cats if they are looking at me). Mid has a reach of 46 meters (527 Lux) and ends comparison with LD02 completely. Lights 15 meters away in my yard with strong light. High shines suprisingly bright, kills e.g. Nitecore MT1A (140 lumens claimed on Turbo rated with the same throw) and makes me think my extremely used 5 year old Fenix LD10 (2009. with CREE XR-E Q5) with 120 Lumens on Turbo has just escaped it (81 m, 1645 Lux), but not by a large margin. But, for outdoors (trail, woods, boating...), LD10 with smaller and brighter hotspot and instantly accessible Turbo mode (by bending the head) is significantly better light than much wider E12.

All Lux Multimeter measured values have been systematically confirmed by multiple trys in real life at various situations by multiple people. My claims are valid for my samples with normal Eneloops.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Re: Fenix LD02 vs Fenix E12 - measured and commented

I was waiting for the successor to the LD01 for a long time, and this is an interesting and fine light. However, I concur with the opinions expressed above that the high mode is too high at the cost of too much runtime, for my taste. I would rather see a high of around 50 or 60 lumens, which would add considerably to the runtime, and that would be plenty of light on high for a single AAA light. I realize, of course, that the light will appeal more to a certain market with a 100 lumen-rated runtime on high, so Fenix will probably sell more lights this way. However, most of the people who buy this light will probably use alkaline cells, and they won't be able to take advantage of the longer runtime on high with NiMH cells (of course, nobody will be able to take advantage of that longer runtime on NiMH cells, as the light apparently steps down to medium mode after three minutes on high).

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting light. But I instantly reacted about the modes: 25 and 100lm is a good choice for mid and high, but 8lm is too high for the low.
It should be ~1lm!

markr6

Flashaholic

Interesting light. But I instantly reacted about the modes: 25 and 100lm is a good choice for mid and high, but 8lm is too high for the low.
It should be ~1lm!

It seems like every single thread has mention of a low not being "low enough". And I agree. I swear, manufacturers either

1. never visit CPF for feedback
2. don't care
3. just like to drive us all insane by producing "almost perfect" lights.
4. or some/all of the above
:banghead:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

A cracking review,easy to read.I have commented elsewhere about the lack of a menu reading mode.It would not surprise me to see Fenix launch in retail stores sometime soon.My local boat shop sells a limited range of Fenix and has been supplied with a small retail stand.This new LD02 would certainally give the king of retail Led Lenser a run for the money.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

It seems like every single thread has mention of a low not being "low enough". And I agree. I swear, manufacturers either

1. never visit CPF for feedback
2. don't care
3. just like to drive us all insane by producing "almost perfect" lights.
4. or some/all of the above
:banghead:

In this case the difference between mid and high is larger than the difference between low and mid. My personal experience is that I perceive brightness differences as smaller between low brightness levels than between high brightness levels. For example: a light with 1, 10 and 100lm I will perceive the difference to be larger between 10 and 100lm than between 1 and 10lm, despite the percentual difference is the same. Consequently low mode of LD02 will be perceived just a tad dimmer than mid mode.
Of course I can't claim the perception for other than my self, but I think with a 3 mode light the difference between low and mid should never be smaller than between mid and high. In my opinion it should be larger.

By the way: thanks kj2 for the review!

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review. I don't like the light, though.

1. It should come on in low. If I want a dim light, I don't want to start in a brighter mode which might disturb others around me, or simply ruin my dark-adapted vision.

2. As others have said, the low should be much lower than 8 lumens. 0.2 - 0.5 lumens is ideal.

I actually like the 100 lumen high. Sure, it's a battery guzzler, and I'd seldom use something that high on a AAA light, but it's nice to have as an option if I really needed it. Most of the time, 0.5 low (or less) and 25 medium is ideal.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review. I don't like the light, though.

1. It should come on in low. If I want a dim light, I don't want to start in a brighter mode which might disturb others around me, or simply ruin my dark-adapted vision.

2. As others have said, the low should be much lower than 8 lumens. 0.2 - 0.5 lumens is ideal.

I actually like the 100 lumen high. Sure, it's a battery guzzler, and I'd seldom use something that high on a AAA light, but it's nice to have as an option if I really needed it. Most of the time, 0.5 low (or less) and 25 medium is ideal.

I much prefer the light not to start in low mode as a work edc light but as a hobby light l=m=h is about right.

Pila

Newly Enlightened

But I instantly reacted about the modes: 25 and 100lm is a good choice for mid and high, but 8lm is too high for the low.
It should be ~1lm!

41588437920595749976.jpg

So, and I am guessing here, the 4 times brighter light on the right must have 4 times more Lumens than the left one? Or, something along this lines. This picture is actually quite nice representation of the real life difference of these two lights.

Pila

Newly Enlightened

99049064149213048233.jpg

Even better example. Again, I am guessing here: the middle light has the most lumens, the left one a bit less, and the right one has by far the least lumens here?

Last edited:

anotherred

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. I've been looking at getting one of these, and this is going to help my decision.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Thanks for the review :)

And I'm wondering... what's the point in having 100 lumens on such a small light (which I was excited about initially) if it'll last for only 3 minutes?

And I read about the LD09 you mentioned in the first post and looked it up... what's its point, too, since we have the E11/12 and the LD12 .... Just the UI .. and some other minor differences?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
...And I read about the LD09 you mentioned in the first post and looked it up... what's its point, too, since we have the E11/12 and the LD12 .... Just the UI .. and some other minor differences?

A single pushbutton switch used for both on/off and mode selection is better suited for one hand operation than having a pushbutton for on/off and a separate twist head for mode selection.