Review UPDATED: SureFire Titan AAA Black 15/125 Lumen Warning: Pic Heavy

recDNA

Flashaholic
The real test is a month or two away. Most people push the battery in without a second thought then use it until it runs out. Wait until they find the battery is stuck in there or someone breaks open a battery with a pair of pliers trying to get it out. I'm not referring to CPF members who will look for solutions here but somebody who just picks one up for his keychain and expects it to just work.

hcd615

Enlightened
I am sending in my two titian-a the lights to Surefire. I called and the rep said they've had a few complaints about batteries not fitting but is the battery's fault not the unit. I told the representative that I've tried different batteries and they are very tight and actually have an airtight seal when trying to pull them out and you need pliers to do so. I was told that they are in the works of making bodies that will accommodate many battery brands. I will keep this post updated when I receive the new lights.

frankg

Newly Enlightened
I received a Titan yesterday that I had ordered directly from Surefire. Dropped an Energizer Advanced Lithium into it with no problems. And it's not even a tight fit. The battery actually has a little "wiggle room" inside the body of the light.

I had called Surefire and asked about the problems folks have been reporting with respect to tight fitting batteries. The woman I spoke to told me that they had changed their manufacturing process to provide more room inside the body of the lights.
Frank

Last edited:

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Anyone notice a flickering if turning on slow? Maybe I'm just fussing over nothing. Sometimes it turns or seems to turn straight to high...on a side note Lithium energizer and Rayovac 900mah rechargeable fit fine��

bartko09

Enlightened
Has anyone actually tried a 10440 in the Titan? And if so was it successful or not? I haven't been able to find that answer anywhere.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone notice a flickering if turning on slow? Maybe I'm just fussing over nothing. Sometimes it turns or seems to turn straight to high...on a side note Lithium energizer and Rayovac 900mah rechargeable fit fine��

The issue you describe sounds like dirty threads. Try cleaning your threads.

Has anyone actually tried a 10440 in the Titan? And if so was it successful or not? I haven't been able to find that answer anywhere.

I have not, and likely won't. Not sure I want to run the risk of damaging it yet. But if you try, let us know the results. :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSC_1401_zpswk6ihgqc.jpg

DSC_1478_zps9t7ka9cu.jpg

83279465-4D11-4B6E-B033-82BCC7CB491B_zpsxgb03r2b.jpg
Great pics and comments. Is that a Brass Beta with an N219? If so, can you show the Titan and the Beta beams on Low (both are 15 lm) side by side for tint comparison? Also a shot of the LED reflector color side by side for the Titan and N219.. And if thats a Rev3 Maratac, could you do the same comparison between the Titan and Maratac beam on high and also side by side reflector LED color comparison? (Titan 125 high is almost the same lumens as the Maratac's 138) Thanks!

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics and comments. Is that a Brass Beta with an N219? If so, can you show the Titan and the Beta beams on Low (both are 15 lm) side by side for tint comparison? Also a shot of the LED reflector color side by side for the Titan and N219.. And if thats a Rev3 Maratac, could you do the same comparison between the Titan and Maratac beam on high and also side by side reflector LED color comparison? (Titan 125 high is almost the same lumens as the Maratac's 138) Thanks!

Yes the Beta is a 219, yes Rev3 Maratac, yes I can do some side by side beam shots this weekend. :buddies:

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Thanks Str8stroke, the threads were filthy. This thing is almost variable output. I can get to a 5 lumen mode fairly easy. Go to low then back off slowly. I'm thinking of running the titan on my new surefire blade I just switched to for main EDC blade. I just clipped her on but if I shorten it a bit I think it's the ticket.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anybody comment if the titan can handle immersion in water well? E.g. taking it for a swim around your neck or in your swim trunks?
No. I called Surefire World Class Customer Service at 800-828-8809 for you, and read them your question. The answer they gave me is no, you can not take it swimming it is not waterproof. It is only weatherproof, meaning if some rain drops fall on it, its probably ok.

However, I invite you to do some testing and let us know your results.

Now anticipating your next question, is a Maratac Waterproof?

Last edited:

drmaxx

Enlightened
:DVery much appreciated. This just kicked the titan off the wish list. Great little video! They certainly look good. Now if this would be a Maratec thread, I would ask you how long they can handle the 1xx lumens on high without stepping down. But as this is a Surefire Titan thread, I am not asking. :grin2:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has been on the keychain since this review. It went for a parking lot swim with a nice drop. Not a mark on it, and no water issues. I own the Maratacs too. Each excels in their own right. At the end of the day, its up to the user to decide which one they prefer.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if this would be a Maratec thread, I would ask you how long they can handle the 1xx lumens on high without stepping down.
Maratacs dont step down, neither do Surefire Titans.. neither is a LiIon
And fwiw, Neither Maratac nor Surefire OFFICIALLY claim their lights are waterproof, but in practice, they are. But, I suggest you do your own testing and share what you learn… that is worth more than reading specs or calling support for the official position.

Mine ended up under water for around 90 minutes. It is still working great without any signs or symptoms of moisture getting inside.

There you go drmaxx, real life experience :). Now you get to decide if you want to buy a Surefire to go swimming.. unofficially, Im pretty sure it would be fine.. it has an O ring, as do all the other single aaa lights mentioned...

happy shopping :)
oh, and … Get Both!