Show us your bike light set-up

noglider

Newly Enlightened
Here is my description of my setup, not completed yet.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Teobaldo

Newly Enlightened
This is my set-up:

Tank 007 TK-737

8458112043_cab4a7520a_z.jpg

Fenix LD10

8458113589_8afffa263a_z.jpg

Tank007 TK-568 (or Sunwayman V11R)

8458112819_d1078a0ce0_z.jpg

In long voyages I use my Fenix TA21

8459220402_baf5b33afa_z.jpg

And a little experiment with two Romisen RC-A4

8459219524_353f1a94a7_z.jpg

8459218104_82dc79fe99_z.jpg

Probably replace the TA21 with a Nitecore P25 (this vice does not have end :naughty:)

Regards.

BrianMc

Enlightened
About time for an update. I changed out the PB Superflash for a PB Turbo on the helmet, added a Cygolite HotShot in pulse mode to the seat post and moved the 100 lumen DIY solid on lights to the back of the rack for a nice three level effect. One Red Zone 4 went AWOL in a ride to out strip a violent storm and hte other gradually lost every function. I did not replace them. The Hotshot's mount was an issue so it is now screwed into a spare PB seat post mount as the clip is too small to use that mount as an alternative. My three XPG with aspheric lenses got a rebuild as I used a sealer with acetic acid fumes on version 1. Version 2 got an XPE for a smaller tighter beam to get a lane width patch further ahead and two R4 XPGs up from R1. The headlights got new snoots. The bike was repainted and brass fenders installed. These reflect light very well both from my headlights and tail lights and from headlights.

This is the bike before the rim tape with the helmet sitting on the saddle instead of my head:

Not in headlights:

This is in low beam headliights (distance = 2 lanes away):

More lightweights have been added to the front wheel and the rebuilt rear wheel got a set, too since these shots.

The front beamshot on the garage door (no helmet narrow "high beam":

The rear lights street signs (on other side of the road) too (minus helmet PB Turbo light):

That is the Hotshot brightening the wide field of the twin 100 lumen lights.

I found the wheel lights a bit heavy and the coin batteries are an environmental issue when used up. So I got interested in Glo Rim tape for the Velocity Deep Vees (http://therimskin.com/glow).

So here is a video with several comparisons that show my lights about a year ago using UV flashlights to activate the Glo tape on the rims:

I am playing with another Glo tape ferom Nori Lights (http://norilights.com). I have V1. V2 has improved activation lights. Here is a video of the Nori tape on one quadrant of the front wheel (Glo RimSkin and reflective green on the rest of the front and the rear wheel:

Enjoy

BrianMc

BrianMc

Enlightened
Some iPhone shots (not the best low light camera) shots from last winter:

Helmet above stem:

Oversize

A crude shot with the headlights aimed low and without the "high beam" helmet light:

Oversize pic

The DIY 100 lumen lights make a nice red patch on the pavement:

Oversize pic

Last edited by a moderator:

IWANTBLUE

Newly Enlightened
BrianMc;4541615 The DIY 100 lumen lights make a nice red patch on the pavement: [/QUOTE said:
Love the "360" effect of those rears... well maybe '320' degrees but you know what i mean,
Like the effect !

Last edited by a moderator:

angerdan

Enlightened
My bike light setup 2013/2014

IMGP6501.jpg

- one horn and two B&M IXON IQ

Download-File

2014 - new horn, third IXON IQ (Premium) and the Philips Safe Ride 80

Last edited:

Matt King

Newly Enlightened
Re: My bike light setup 2013/2014

Hmm, not sure about the upside-down Philips there... :D

One-on-one, how do you compare the Saferide to the Ixon IQ Premium?

angerdan

Enlightened
Re: My bike light setup 2013/2014

If i would've my Philips adjust a little bit lower, the comparision between PBL and B&M Ixon IQ Premium would have been better.

Download-File

B&M Ixon IQ Premium

Download-File

Philips Safe Ride 80

Ataylor

Newly Enlightened

Hi, all. Desperately looking for a bag identical to the grey one above - anyone here know where I can find one? Lots and lots of similar bags available online, but I need something that sits under the top tube (not on top) and it needs to be small enough to fit only a battery pack (not snacks,keys, etc), and it has to sit towards the front of the tube. Perhaps Bobblehat still posts here?

flash415

Newly Enlightened
https://goo.gl/photos/YA2FbrMFVdi6xf7u6
YA2FbrMFVdi6xf7u6

https://goo.gl/photos/smD6dme5Jqx5CeUd9
https://goo.gl/photos/xbz2e3Y2GsBLQtns7
https://goo.gl/photos/bagB7wr1QUFSb7rYA
https://goo.gl/photos/8rzjViVyjGay1EEz5

My new Zebralight H600w inspired me to share my setup.
I ride my road and mountain bike with Fenix BC30 on my handlebars for about 1200 lumens of mostly flood light. On my helmet I wear a Zebralight H600W which gives me a bit more throw, but mostly I like it for its compact size. I also have Fenix BT20 which gives a nice throw beam, better than the H600w, but the wired setup requires I load it into my Camelbak or mount the batteries to my helmet.

For road rides, I put a Metroflash Safety Zone light on my helmet and the back of my seatpost - these are very bright and help me stand out in urban traffic. I chose these lights since I can carry regular batteries as spares for rides that last 2-3 hours, so I always have several extra 18650s and AAAs.

The main downside of my helmet light is the Zebralight heatsup pretty quickly so on warmer nights and slow speeds during climbs, the light will step down to lower outputs, enough to render it useless until it cools down, since the 65 lumens in the step down are useless while biking in comparison to my Fenix light on my handlebar. It's essential to have two lights, one of which can maintain full power for the full ride.

Savvas

Enlightened
Aaagh - the redness! Seriously, I've been waiting to see someone take up the SON/Rohloff 'red challenge'! Is it a SON hub or a Shutter Precision? And what is the frame? Are the rear rack-like thing...?

Savvas.

8trackDirtPlayer

Newly Enlightened
I have a Shutter Precision Dynamo hub, a Supernova E3 Triple 2, and one of Supernova's accompanying tail lights. Here is the only shot I currently have, I don't have any neato beam shots...I will edit my post later to include those.

This picture is during the day, this light is BRIGHT!

I also have two pairs of NiteRider MiNewt Doubles that get mounted on my helmet and handlebars (Will post pictures soon!) for auxiliary lighting for slow speeds, or if I'm not on the dynamo equipped bike.