Show your beat up light.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: lets see your scratched up lights

Thanks for the link Bill. Pretty shocking how much they want for people to keep that part of their service!

It makes me sick to see great threads like this one lose most of the images posted. :(

That's the last I will post about it on this thread...I just hope at least some of the members that lost pics on here will consider replacing them once they find a better hosting alternative. I know that's a helluva lot to ask though, so it likely won't happen.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slumber, I was wondering if you still had this one? And if so, what does it look like now?

I still have it. It really doesn't look much different as all the new wear is inconspicuous compared to what happened to the light during the "slide". It's a house beater now and doesn't get carried anymore, but still gets plenty of use.
I like the fact that even if someone sets it to the highest setting, the battery will still last around 3 hours as the max output is only 300 lumens.
Here's a new pic.

6ed01be5018a0851cad19d73d6215f4e.jpg

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
COOL! I would be torn between leaving it with the "Slide" Upgrades or trying to polish or buff it out. Glad you kept it, It has a story now.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again a delight to see that "close encounter of the asphalt kind" 62d.
So true about not worrying about it getting too hot, especially if high mode is on the lower sub setting; mildly warm to the touch and even longer lasting runtime. I rotate a pair of them and have one safe.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love love love this thread! Here's another oldie but goody. It's a 1980 "Paten Pending" 2D Mag I picked up on fleabay for $7 shipped. The barrel was bent, the switch bad and it had tons of battery corrosion. I couldn't bear the thought of someone chucking this 38 year old light so I restored it and I use it for getting wood for my stove in the winter. It's very easy to sling under my arm and carry wood and plenty bright.

1O2uYef.jpg

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
This gets my vote for best post I've read in a while.
Love love love this thread! Here's another oldie but goody. It's a 1980 "Paten Pending" 2D Mag I picked up on fleabay for $7 shipped. The barrel was bent, the switch bad and it had tons of battery corrosion. I couldn't bear the thought of someone chucking this 38 year old light so I restored it and I use it for getting wood for my stove in the winter. It's very easy to sling under my arm and carry wood and plenty bright.

1O2uYef.jpg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!! I have some before and during pics on my blog at: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/05/removing-battery-corrosion-and.html

I love restoring old lights! I've gotten some pretty crazy requests over the years from old Kel-Lites to some Mags with some gnarly stuck batteries. I've only had 2 or 3 lights out of a couple hundred I couldn't do anything with.

Some say beat up I say character!!! I'm eyeing this one on fleabay now but the owner wants just a little too much for it. Would make for a nice little project though, stuck end cap and all.

C4j7aMT.jpg

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, I was just looking at your blog AND that light! Darn this forum! Anyway the look of that mag you rescued and the fact that you carry it under your arm to grab wood for your stove just painted the most romantic flashlight picture for me. Beat up classic incan mag still put to use out in the woods. At least that was the picture in my mind. Good stuff
Thanks!! I have some before and during pics on my blog at: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/05/removing-battery-corrosion-and.html

I love restoring old lights! I've gotten some pretty crazy requests over the years from old Kel-Lites to some Mags with some gnarly stuck batteries. I've only had 2 or 3 lights out of a couple hundred I couldn't do anything with.

Some say beat up I say character!!! I'm eyeing this one on fleabay now but the owner wants just a little too much for it. Would make for a nice little project though, stuck end cap and all.

C4j7aMT.jpg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me crazy but I get a ton of satisfaction out of it when using it, more so than some of the really expensive lights I have. The beam is terrible because it still has the original reflector and lens but I think of all the use this light got and how it ended up with me and it's just really cool that it's still kicking. Maglites are also really nostalgic for me growing up with them and all. It's one of the few hobbies I know where 7 bucks can go a long way.

You must have a cool beat up light with a good story too?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes "terrible" beams are the best kind. I've got an incandescent solitaire running bedside right now just cause I love the warm glow it puts out. I sanded the lens to clean up the beam but it's still a solitiaybeam. Don't care, I love it. The light that I'd post isn't really mine just yet. My dad has had a 2d mag up in the closet of the house I grew up in ever since I can remember. Only person that uses it is me when I go stay with them. They've moved on to other lights, a few that I've gifted them. But that old Maglite is pretty awesome. I've told my dad many times I was gonna take it and reviving it. I was thinking malkoff dropin or something. But the more I think about it I'd like to have it just the way it is. I'd run Eneloops in adapters so that leaks wouldn't kill it. I'll get a pic next time I see it.
Call me crazy but I get a ton of satisfaction out of it when using it, more so than some of the really expensive lights I have. The beam is terrible because it still has the original reflector and lens but I think of all the use this light got and how it ended up with me and it's just really cool that it's still kicking. Maglites are also really nostalgic for me growing up with them and all. It's one of the few hobbies I know where 7 bucks can go a long way.

You must have a cool beat up light with a good story too?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How about a beat up sidewalk?
IMG_20180913_072351.jpg

My PR-1 ding'd the sidewalk.

IMG_20180913_073022.jpg

My prototype FL 2 was tested by the man himself to determine how a kerekote would hold up.

The PR-1 after 2+ years of daily pocket carry.
IMG_20180912_095013.jpg

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gonna need the info in that old Buck knife sir. Preferably with a picture of it opened up 👍🏼
How about a beat up sidewalk?
IMG_20180913_072351.jpg

My PR-1 ding'd the sidewalk.

IMG_20180913_073022.jpg

My prototype FL 2 was tested by the man himself to determine how a kerekote would hold up.

The PR-1 after 2+ years of daily pocket carry.
IMG_20180912_095013.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
I never thought I would say this(as I have a little OCD with chips n stuff), but it does look better worn in:cool:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never thought I would say this(as I have a little OCD with chips n stuff), but it does look better worn in:cool:

I'll second that. A clean light, like a clean truck or bike, is the sign of a crazy person!