Show your beat up light.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I absolutely get what you're saying, but my brain just doesn't think in terms of TCO where tools and (most) equipment are concerned, as to me that is generally secondary to quality / reliability every time. Just a perspective thing. Not to be picky now, but that looks like more than just "finish" / anodizing that's worn out, but is rather the structural metal. I'm perhaps less concerned about the finish / aesthetics than the metal.
The keyring loop is for sure on its way towards structural failure - hopefully in my pocket - at which point the condition of the finish is immaterial.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been carrying my MDC every single day for over two years now, using it probably a hundred times a day, dropped many times into tiles or stone, dropped down concrete staircases & once fell down several stories in a apartment building. The clip hasn't even started to wear yet. Barely a scratch. Just a few small dents around the bezel.

I dont think im gonna live long enough to post a picture of it that would belong on here.

buickid

Enlightened
Here's my Solarforce L2P Ive carried daily since 2011. Originally had a Solarforce drop in, added a Nailbender XML2 90 CRI drop in around 2014.

It's funny, I put this together after losing two bored out Surefire 6Ps with Malkoffs in a row EDCing. Figured if I was going to lose lights, I should go a bit cheaper. Well, over 10 years later and I haven't lost this one, knock on wood...

Attachments

• PXL_20230124_081313863.jpg
    PXL_20230124_081313863.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 113

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Try a little JB Weld to support the tab before failure. It might extend life for awhile, and definitely won't take away from esthetics (-;
I've pondered pressing something akin to a tiny steel bushing into the loop and adhering it in place - would wear far slower than the aluminum however sourcing such a thing could prove difficult and it's a moderately risky operation.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Find a crafter (hippie) jewelry maker, they use micro hobby torches. It will be easy to silver solder a tiny cylindrical metal (SS) bead into place. And, if nesseccary reaming center hole to size will be easy enough as well.
The whole operation should take less than half hour.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never carried this one "in anger", but it was heavily used and has a great story from the previous owner. Mind you, the light should be 100% jet black.

beat.jpg

"I bought that light in the seventies while I was an MP in
Germany. When I started at xxxxx PD in 1978 they didn't provide
flashlights at all as part of issue so they allowed us to carry whatever we
bought. In 1981 I was riding shotgun on PM shift when our unit became
involved in a chase headed toward the xx border on Interstate xx. The
suspect driver was DWI, suspended and had a couple of bench warrants out for
him and he kept trying to force other vehicles into our cruiser. My Partner,
Officer xxxxxxx, brought the cruiser up alongside the suspect and I reached
out and tried to hinder his vision (mind you we were doing 85-95 Mph on a
bridge) by smashing his windshield with my flashlight. Well, I lost my grip,
the light bounced off the suspect's door column and was last seen skidding
under an 18-wheeler that we'd just past. After making the arrest at the end
of the chase in a field in xx we went back and found that light against the
curbing at the top of the bridge. The light survived pretty much intact. It
had a few good scuff marks on it, but I put a replacement bulb in and to my
amazement it still worked. I carried it until about 1985 when the PD started
putting rechargable lights in the cars."
Good story.. Do you still have the Mag or was it a Kel-lite?

What is this thing you reference ~ Beat up light?

My EDC is always carried in an otherwise empty pocket. I'm the same with all my tools. Friends make fun of me for the condition of my tools, which will someday become our two son's tools.

I've purchased a couple of keychain lights ….. just can't bring myself to allow them to rub up against my keys. NOPE! Can't do it.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
What is this thing you reference ~ Beat up light?
Most of the contents of my inventory are visibly worn if not at least scuffed and dinged.

I've purchased a couple of keychain lights ….. just can't bring myself to allow them to rub up against my keys. NOPE! Can't do it.
Different strokes...

I by and large can't get into the ... for lack of a better term ... collector mindset. I accumulate users which means a certain degree of abuse because there's some last bit of fine dexterity I've been lacking in my entire life thus accidents invariably happen; if it can't handle a drop from ~1 meter onto concrete every 50-100 uses it's not going to live very long in my hands.

I've really only got one light that I take care of in any real sense - and even then it's more a matter of infrequent use and resting in a given out of the way location than it is being exceptionally protective. Were I into the various custom makes out there running 3 figures plus I'd likely feel differently, but I'd still have to use them periodically even if that did harm their resale value.

Most of the contents of my inventory are visibly worn if not at least scuffed and dinged.
That's nice.

Different strokes...
Indeed.

I by and large can't get into the ... for lack of a better term ... collector mindset.
Your inability might be atributed to good mental health. When a friend learned I had started collecting flashlights he said - "You know what they say about people that collect things?"

Me - "No, what do they say?"

Friend - "They're trying to make up for something that's missing in their lives."

Me - "So."

I accumulate users which means a certain degree of abuse because there's some last bit of fine dexterity I've been lacking in my entire life thus accidents invariably happen;
The medical term for your lack of dexterity is Digiti Butyri, more commonly know as Butter Fingers.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using this 6PX 320 lm for a very long time. About 5 times he fell on tiles or flat concrete from a height of 1.5-2 meters. The T3 one never fell, but for the last 2 months it has been lying with the SF in 1 pocket and got some of his energy with shakes. Anodizing is very gentle, but it has better heat dissipation due to softer aluminum :)

Attachments

• IMG_7165.JPG
    IMG_7165.JPG
    969.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7166.JPG
    IMG_7166.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7169.JPG
    IMG_7169.JPG
    667.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7171.JPG
    IMG_7171.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 82

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Your inability might be atributed to good mental health. When a friend learned I had started collecting flashlights he said - "You know what they say about people that collect things?"

Me - "No, what do they say?"

Friend - "They're trying to make up for something that's missing in their lives."

Me - "So."
Perhaps, however one bright spot on the character sheet is no guarantee that the rest is stellar.

The medical term for your lack of dexterity is Digiti Butyri, more commonly know as Butter Fingers.
Here I thought it was great grampa Bumblef__k's - Ol' Bumbles' - doing.